Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most exciting city in South Dakota - Vermillion

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    I love articles in The Onion! They are hilarious!

(Seriously, if you read the article you see Movoto never even went to any of these places. They took population and divided it by parks and restaurants from Wiki or other sites. It's really proof these lists are inadequate)

My actual top 10 would be:

1. Sioux Falls (why it isn't even on the list who the hell knows)
    2. Brookings(Best town with D1 sports and just about anything else going on weekly. Good population base)
    3. Rapid City(Driving distance to just about anything you want to do in the hills, could flip this spot with Brookings)
    4. Sturgis(one month a year this place is exciting)
    5. Aberdeen(I guess? Population alone says something should be fun to do there)
    6. Sioux City......(you can drive across the border for fun)
    7. Vermillion(D1 sports...sort of....though you might be able to flip Vermillion with Sioux City)
    8. Chamberlain/Pierre/Mobridge Kind of a tie if you like the river areas hunting and fishing, Pierre would have leg up because of population. Technically maybe Yankton could go here too
    9. Deadwood(Historic and gambling.....not sure if that's all that exciting)
    10. There just aren't 10 exciting places in South Dakota
    Ummmmmm hello, Lemmon and the Petrified Wood Park? Mitchell and the Kongo? C'mon man, inexcusable to leave these towns off your list!

Comment

I'm not a fan of Vermillion. I had friends that lived there and it's a dinky town. If USD wasn't there it'd be a blip on the map and half the size. That being said, they do have a few decent places to eat.

Red Steakhouse is good. And I really like Mr Smiths and Cafe Brûlée. Also, there's some place you say 'Eggs are my fave' and they give you an extra egg for free with breakfast. Good food. It's on the main drag through town.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
        I'm not a fan of Vermillion. I had friends that lived there and it's a dinky town. If USD wasn't there it'd be a blip on the map and half the size. That being said, they do have a few decent places to eat.

Red Steakhouse is good. And I really like Mr Smiths and Cafe Brûlée. Also, there's some place you say 'Eggs are my fave' and they give you an extra egg for free with breakfast. Good food. It's on the main drag through town.
        And just for clarification, Brookings would not be if SDSU wasn't there? That said, you have a couple of decent places to have a brew ( of course, not as fun as Vermillion )

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
          And just for clarification, Brookings would not be if SDSU wasn't there? That said, you have a couple of decent places to have a brew ( of course, not as fun as Vermillion )
          Do you have any statistics to back up that clarification?

Comment

It could have been another Medary if not for the railroad coming through present location of Brookings in 1879. Also ever heard of Ahnberg or sometimes called Como SD? Another town that disappeared due to the rail line between Sioux Falls and Watertown being abandoned in the 1960's. Mr. Raad ran his store their until the 1950's. But that's all gone. I am speaking of a community north of Sinai. SO DONT ASK WHERE?

My mothers side of the family helped create the settlement of Medary, but then we can thank those stupid legislators from SF who wanted the prison and did not want to mess with Moo U. Thanks Mr. Scobey for bringing home the bacon, and also for the new Swine Unit at SDSU. This does not fit except for a smack thread.

Comment

Carey's bar and a burger at Bunyan's, those are a must when in Vermillion. Bunyan's was much better before they destroyed the old building and built the new one. The Silk Road is excellent for a variety of Asian food. Great golf course on the edge of town. Red's is good, not great, better for a higher end experience and decent steak than any place in Brookings.

During the school year its a relatively hustle and bustle college town, not quite as much a suitcase college as SDSU. In the summer months is a quiet, quaint small town where you can make the most of your evenings enjoying the quiet and quaintness or complain that there isn't more to do.

All that said, its home to the coyotes and for that reason alone Brookings is FAR SUPERIOR (had to throw that in given this is the smack thread).
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                ...not quite as much a suitcase college as SDSU....
                I agree with all you wrote, doc, except the above. I'd call it a tie for suitcase college.

Comment

Can't remember the name, but there is a good Mexican place in Vermillion. Muy Bueno!

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                    Do you have any statistics to back up that clarification?
                    Could you please clarify that for me

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      Can't remember the name, but there is a good Mexican place in Vermillion. Muy Bueno!
                      Mexico Viejo.

Comment

Could you please clarify that for me
                        Brookings is over twice the population than Vermillion. To state brookings without SDSU would be the same as Vermillion without USD is quite a stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                          Brookings is over twice the population than Vermillion. To state brookings without SDSU would be the same as Vermillion without USD is quite a stretch.
                          2 times small still equals small

Comment

So what's the point. I am lost. I hear you if you are saying Vermillion and Brookings are small, but its weird that students gravitate towards these two. Some how the awe of the big cities such as SF and Fargo is not in their decisions.

Comment

There is an inordinate amount of industry in Brookings given its size.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Then small divided by 2 is Vermillion
                                "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Working...
                                X