X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bison Excuses

Originally posted by TransAmBison View Post
    My major point was it didn't excite me.
    But you chose to make that point by bashing our program. Saying we haven't gained at all from the exposure the NCAA tourney has gotten us.

The fact is we are getting better recruits now than we did five years and light years ahead of ten years ago. You chose to make the argument we haven't benefited even though you admit you really don't follow our program that close and really had no clue.

Now who is the turd?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      But you chose to make that point by bashing our program. Saying we haven't gained at all from the exposure the NCAA tourney has gotten us.

The fact is we are getting better recruits now than we did five years and light years ahead of ten years ago. You chose to make the argument we haven't benefited even though you admit you really don't follow our program that close and really had no clue.

Now who is the turd?
      I apologize...I did not mean it to bash your program. I can see how you took it that way, and that is my fault.

More than anything it is just a frustration that our conference can't get one win in the tournament. Makes it hard to get too excited. I figured this would be a better time to bring it up since we have the better chance of making the tournament this year...if I said it last year (or the year before) it would just look like sour grapes...and it isn't that at all.

Except when we play each other, I always cheer for the Jacks. If we can't win it, I hope you guys can.

Comment

I apologize...I did not mean it to bash your program. I can see how you took it that way, and that is my fault.

More than anything it is just a frustration that our conference can't get one win in the tournament. Makes it hard to get too excited. I figured this would be a better time to bring it up since we have the better chance of making the tournament this year...if I said it last year (or the year before) it would just look like sour grapes...and it isn't that at all.

Except when we play each other, I always cheer for the Jacks. If we can't win it, I hope you guys can.
        I would recommend having a little patience. We are five years into this whole DI eligibility thing. The Summit League is a stronger conference than it was 5 years ago and things are looking up with the addition of ORU next year.

Improving the conference RPI will help the champion get a better seed which makes winning a game easier. It's damn tough to win a game when you get stuck on the 13-14 line.

I can understand the frustration part. We had an interesting discussion about our women's program a few weeks ago. I'm frustrated they haven't been able to get a better seed. They have been stuck on the 13-14 line the last few years. Makes winning tough.

Keep in mind though, if you make the tourney you have a chance to win a game. That's something to be excited about.

Comment

The Summit/MidContinent has won a game at the tournament within the last ten years.

Quick, name the round of 32 from last year (the teams that won 1 game)... Think you can name more than half? Now name the last 5 national champions (the teams who got exposure for 3 weeks and confetti)... Can you do it? The fan memory any team gets from the NCAA is fleeting, wins or no. But you can bet your a$$ every mid major coach who makes it bangs that drum HARD when recruiting. Because making it there does set you apart.

Its really, really hard to win once you get there. Even if you are lucky/good enough to get a top 10 seed like Wichita State last year, you end up playing somebody like Pittsburgh in the first round. Easy as pie. Nobody really talks about it or remembers it, but Wichita State played the worst #1 seed in the second round (Gonzaga) and a #13 seed in the third (something called La Salle, which is french for "the Sally"). The reality for mid majors is that at the NCAA tournament it is better to be lucky than good.

In short, I can see what you are saying too. It is very frustrating to not get a win at the tournament. However, trying to compare the FCS playoffs to the NCAA tournament is like comparing apples to mars, and I think that's why you're getting so much push back. To keep this on track with smack, only a Bison fan might try to make the comparison.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
            The Summit/MidContinent has won a game at the tournament within the last ten years.

Quick, name the round of 32 from last year (the teams that won 1 game)... Think you can name more than half? Now name the last 5 national champions (the teams who got exposure for 3 weeks and confetti)... Can you do it? The fan memory any team gets from the NCAA is fleeting, wins or no. But you can bet your a$$ every mid major coach who makes it bangs that drum HARD when recruiting. Because making it there does set you apart.

Its really, really hard to win once you get there. Even if you are lucky/good enough to get a top 10 seed like Wichita State last year, you end up playing somebody like Pittsburgh in the first round. Easy as pie. Nobody really talks about it or remembers it, but Wichita State played the worst #1 seed in the second round (Gonzaga) and a #13 seed in the third (something called La Salle, which is french for "the Sally"). The reality for mid majors is that at the NCAA tournament it is better to be lucky than good.

In short, I can see what you are saying too. It is very frustrating to not get a win at the tournament. However, trying to compare the FCS playoffs to the NCAA tournament is like comparing apples to mars, and I think that's why you're getting so much push back. To keep this on track with smack, only a Bison fan might try to make the comparison.
            Please tell me what game a team from our conference has won in the tournament...I was not aware of it.

And in the interest of keeping the smack involved (as you put in the end of your post) how long you guys gonna cling to the buttwolters? Just wondering when the expiration date is...

Comment

Please tell me what game a team from our conference has won in the tournament...I was not aware of it.

And in the interest of keeping the smack involved (as you put in the end of your post) how long you guys gonna cling to the buttwolters? Just wondering when the expiration date is...
              Valparaiso would be the only team I can think of that might have a Tourney win when they were part of the Mid-Continent. That is of little value now, IMO.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

2005 - Oakland beat Alabama A&M in a play in

In the 90's there were actually years when the MidContinent got multiple teams into the tournament. Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Green Bay, and Northern Illinois were all poached soon after. As Rowdy said, pretty much no value now. But saying the league has NEVER won a game is technically wrong. Current members have never won a game . But that would be dangerously close to a no true scotsman argument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman)

The buttwolters will likely stop about the same time as buttfootball does in Fargo, or butthockey does in Canada. The real question is what kind of buttargument USD fans have...
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

2005 - Oakland beat Alabama A&M in a play in

In the 90's there were actually years when the MidContinent got multiple teams into the tournament. Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Green Bay, and Northern Illinois were all poached soon after. As Rowdy said, pretty much no value now. But saying the league has NEVER won a game is technically wrong. Current members have never won a game . But that would be dangerously close to a no true scotsman argument (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman)

The buttwolters will likely stop about the same time as buttfootball does in Fargo, or butthockey does in Canada. The real question is what kind of buttargument USD fans have...
                  Thanks for the info, I was not aware.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    Prove the exposure hasn't helped our program. One can argue that Cody Larsen probably isn't at SDSU without at least one of those appearances. What about Jake Bittle? Both are pretty valuable to our team this year and I don't know where we would be without them. What about the two transfers we have coming in next year? Or the Daum kid from NE?
                    The main reason that I copied this post because I know that Marshall is one of the transfers next year but who is the other.

O.K. Now I'll get to the rest of the stuff.

I guess if you wanted to you could argue that Cody came here because it was close to home, his sister is here, he knows other players on the team and some teams looked at his past and didn't push as hard to get him. He is a great get for SDSU but would he have came here to be comfortable without the NCAA trips?

Bittle is the one players that I can't find much to contradict about him coming here because of the NCAA tourney.

Conner is from Alaska. He has relatives that live in Watertown(I think) and probably didn't get recruited as hard because people didn't see him much.

Marshall did see SDSU play in the tourney last year but did a new assistant coach have anything to do with him coming here? That coach maybe had a lot to do with his recruiting at Wisconsin so if you aren't happy where you are at why not follow a coach you like?

Could Broman be along the lines of Louie? I think Louie K. would of/could of came to SDSU if he was offered. I think that Broman might be better than him but it's kind-of the same thing. I regional player without many high major offers that would want to play at a good team close to home.

I'm sure that all of these players saw that we went to the NCAA Tournament twice and it factored in some but most of them had other factors that could of got them looking at SDSU anyway. I hope they pan out because next year we will be relying on them and about 8 new faces in the program.

I think I'm right on this stuff but I could be wrong because it's stuff I think I remember from the past but don't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      The main reason that I copied this post because I know that Marshall is one of the transfers next year but who is the other.
                      JuCo Transfer:
                      Deondre Parks, 6'3" SG, Iowa Lakes CC: http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...e-Parks-149834

Comment

O.K. Now I'll get to the rest of the stuff.

I guess if you wanted to you could argue that Cody came here because it was close to home, his sister is here, he knows other players on the team and some teams looked at his past and didn't push as hard to get him. He is a great get for SDSU but would he have came here to be comfortable without the NCAA trips?

Bittle is the one players that I can't find much to contradict about him coming here because of the NCAA tourney.

Conner is from Alaska. He has relatives that live in Watertown(I think) and probably didn't get recruited as hard because people didn't see him much.

Marshall did see SDSU play in the tourney last year but did a new assistant coach have anything to do with him coming here? That coach maybe had a lot to do with his recruiting at Wisconsin so if you aren't happy where you are at why not follow a coach you like?

Could Broman be along the lines of Louie? I think Louie K. would of/could of came to SDSU if he was offered. I think that Broman might be better than him but it's kind-of the same thing. I regional player without many high major offers that would want to play at a good team close to home.

I'm sure that all of these players saw that we went to the NCAA Tournament twice and it factored in some but most of them had other factors that could of got them looking at SDSU anyway. I hope they pan out because next year we will be relying on them and about 8 new faces in the program.

I think I'm right on this stuff but I could be wrong because it's stuff I think I remember from the past but don't know for sure.
                        This is a good post. And I was talking about Parks as the second transfer.

We can argue all day about why a recruit chose SDSU and if it had anything to do with the back to back NCAA tourney appearances.

Look at it this way. Are the quality of recruits on paper better than they were five years ago? Without question I think they are. I am positive the back to back appearances has not hurt us in recruiting and is at least part of the reason some of our recruits decided to wear the yellow and blue. It may not be the sole reason, but it's at least a positive for us.

Comment

I agree with everything you wrote, and your memory seems about the same as mine. There are multiple factors that go into where a kid chooses to go to school.

A fun thought experiment would be to think about how the team might look different if NDSU had made the last two tournaments instead of SDSU.

Flatten and Severyn were recruited heavily by NDSU, and from what I remember they could have gone either way.

Watertown isn't that far from Fargo. I think Devine approached SDSU first (I may be off on that), but would he have talked to NDSU if they had a tournament run?

Perhaps Marshall would think NDSU looked like a better place to land since there are ties to the Wisconsin program there as well (Saul was an assistant there, Bo Ryan's oldest son is an assistant at NDSU now).

We can go around in circles all day long, but the bottom line is that going to the NCAA tournament is better than not going when it comes to recruiting. I think any other argument would be a stretch at best.

What would really set us apart from a recruiting standpoint, would be if we had somebody in a big bird costume making micro brew and bringing it to tailgates. Nobody could compete with that.

Comment

What would really set us apart from a recruiting standpoint, would be if we had somebody in a big bird costume making micro brew and bringing it to tailgates. Nobody could compete with that.
                            You might be onto something.

Comment

The real question is what kind of buttargument USD fans have...
                              What is.. Buttindoortrackandfield? FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                What is.. Buttindoortrackandfield? FTW!
                                My first thought was "Butt U."

But that would be wrong.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X