Any news on the hotdog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any news on the hotdog?

My wife and I will be leaving soon for Frost and the IPFW games. I haven't heard any news about the replacement for the hotdog being served at Frost -- anyone heard anything? I don't think I can handle another one so I'll eat before getting to Frost and then survive on popcorn and ice cream during the games.

One wag told me that the the current dog, soon to be replaced, is called the "Zastrow" after the guard on NDSU's team: it's a small hotdog that isn't very good.

[Zastrow hit a nice three-pointer during the NDSU game at Frost this season and then he put his finger to his mouth as he returned down the court, giving the "sshhh" sign after the crowd quieted down. In D-I basketball, that's the universal sign for "gee, I haven't been here before." ]
    Last edited by JackJD; 01-22-2011, 03:07 PM.

Re: Any news on the hotdog?

USD will also be switching suppliers for the infamous Dome Dog next year after a one year experiment with Morrell.
    USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      My wife and I will be leaving soon for Frost and the IPFW games. I haven't heard any news about the replacement for the hotdog being served at Frost -- anyone heard anything? I don't think I can handle another one so I'll eat before getting to Frost and then survive on popcorn and ice cream during the games.

One wag told me that the the current dog, soon to be replaced, is called the "Zastrow" after the guard on NDSU's team: it's a small hotdog that isn't very good.

[Zastrow hit a nice three-pointer during the NDSU game at Frost this season and then he put his finger to his mouth as he returned down the court, giving the "sshhh" sign after the crowd quieted down. In D-I basketball, that's the universal sign for "gee, I haven't been here before." ]
      I would usually agree with you but Zastrow absolutely killed the Jacks last year in Frost.

Comment

I'll stand by my statement about the old dog being named the Zastrow: it's just a small hotdog that isn't very good. The namesake may have had a good game against the Jacks last year (and made some very nice shots this season) but he's still a small hotdog that isn't very good.

On a positive note, I think Frost is now serving a better dog. I didn't get something to eat before getting to Frost tonight so I had a hotdog and it seemed to be an improvement over the zastrow I had there a couple weeks ago.
        Last edited by JackJD; 01-22-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          I'll stand by my statement about the old dog being named the Zastrow: it's just a small hotdog that isn't very good. The namesake may have had a good game against the Jacks last year (and made some very nice shots this season) but he's still a small hotdog that isn't very good.

On a positive note, I think Frost is now serving a better dog. I didn't get something to eat before getting to Frost tonight so I had a hotdog and it seemed to be an improvement over the zastrow I had there a couple weeks ago.

So it wasn't a Zastrownomical experience? Sorry, that was one fat pitch down the middle...

Comment

The new dogs are better. Buns still need work.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
              The new dogs are better. Buns still need work.
              Agreed. The dogs are better. For those of you who did the "taste vote", they went with "B", which seemed to be the odds-on favorite from those who were voting when I was there. It has more taste to it. But I'll say again, the hotdogs we had under the private vendor before were better yet. I'm they were more expensive and the profit not as good. We got the vendor to buy the dogs for us and we kept them frozen at home until I got "dog" fever.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post

So it wasn't a Zastrownomical experience? Sorry, that was one fat pitch down the middle...
                That was a pretty good one.

Lakejack wrote: "The new dogs are better. Buns still need work."

At first, I thought about the 'buns of steel' infomercials about a workout device. But, on a serious note, I think the buns start out fine but sitting in a warm, humid environment, wrapped in foil, causes them to break down to some substance that, if given a few more hours, could be bottled and sold as Elmer's School Glue. So, get 'em early and they're close to okay.

Comment

Or stop at Cubbie's pre-game for a burger and beer. Then popcorn can suffice at the game
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Anyone kno which Supplier they went with? Cloverdale Meats in Bismarck, ND was/is the Hot Dog supplier for either the Vikings or Twins I can't remember exactly or if they still are but not a bad dog
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

The official Minnesota Twins dog at Target field is the old Schweigert Meats dog. Schweigert had been the dog provider at the old Met and when the Twins moved to the Metrodome, the dog was changed. I went to an exhibition game at Target Field and the handout publication talking about the features of Target Field also talked about bringing back Schweigerts. (The Schweigert brand was purchased by Cargill -- so they brought back four varieties of Schweigerts dogs for Target Field).

Found a Minneapolis Trib article from March on the subject: LINK

I had a hotdog and a beer at that exhibition game...the dog was pretty good. As I think about it, I'd rate the new hotdog at Frost as on par with the dogs at the Twins facility. Good change from the old 'zastrow'.

Comment

In the end:
                        - They're all hot dogs
                        - None of us really wants to know what's in any of 'em
                        - Slather on some mustard and sauerkraut and that's some fine eatin'

Comment

They need to contract with the Meat Lab on campus. Those are some good hot dogs! Actually, after working at the Meat Lab for two years my fear of hotdogs is gone. They are actually not as bad as they used to be pre "The Jungle." Nothing to fear, just some scraps that don't fit else where or have little commercial value. Lips, beaks, feet, and other organs typically aren't part of today's hotdogs.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Word is the new dogs at Frost are Hebrew National, which is owned by ConAgra. Same dogs they serve at Qwest Center and Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha, though I heard that the half-pounder isn't being offered at Frost. That's a shame.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              In the end:
                              - They're all wieners
                              -Why are we discussing wieners?

Fixed it
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X