Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reasons Why the Yotes should go to the Big Sky

A new reason why the Yotes should go to the Big Sky:

Since UND is taking the lead, they can safely slink into the Big Sky. Just like the followed SDSU to DI and slinked into the Summit. Following, as always, never doing what's in their own best interest for their own interest sake.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      I think I missed something. Why won't UND be able to join the Big Sky until 2013?
      Here is a link to a blog that states that due to scheduling conflicts, UND may not be able to join the BSC until 2013. Not sure if that is just for football or if other sports are involved. I am sure that USD and UND are linked together for travel purposes for all sports other than football. If this is for football only, then USD and UND may be independent for a few more years. I am sure UND can buy their way out of some of these contacts. Maybe they will join in 2012. Even 2012 means they will continue in the Great West with no auto-bid or March Madness money for a few more years.

Go State!!!
      Go Jacks!!!
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

If indifferent on what really happens. SF in general should be pushing for USD to stay SL. The impact of adding USD to the summit tourny(assuming they are good enough to make it), will only help the SF and SD economy that week. I hope USD is taking their time to truly know whats best for them long term, there are choices that are right, and choices are right now, I am afraid USD is choosing the right now choice but it may not be the best for them.

IMO I really do not care either way, but there is truly a lot to consider. I think they will think for football at the sake of every other sport.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I have never heard any real indication of anyone from Sioux Falls or the Sports Authority really even showing any kind of major excitement for USD being in the Summit tourney. I have never seen any sponcers pushing for USD or even mentioning them as a future asset to the Summit tourney. Maybe it's happening but I haven't heard of it. It's more like a pairing of Sioux Falls and SDSU moreso than anything. Since USD really hasn't been getting any promotion as a future member of the tourney I really don't see much of a loss on the behalf of the the Summit League, Sioux Falls or anyone involved. Maybe the sponcers of the tourney are actually quite happy that SDSU won't be sharing any of the Summit spotlight so it's kind of a win for SDSU.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
            I have never heard any real indication of anyone from Sioux Falls or the Sports Authority really even showing any kind of major excitement for USD being in the Summit tourney. I have never seen any sponcers pushing for USD or even mentioning them as a future asset to the Summit tourney. Maybe it's happening but I haven't heard of it. It's more like a pairing of Sioux Falls and SDSU moreso than anything. Since USD really hasn't been getting any promotion as a future member of the tourney I really don't see much of a loss on the behalf of the the Summit League, Sioux Falls or anyone involved. Maybe the sponcers of the tourney are actually quite happy that SDSU won't be sharing any of the Summit spotlight so it's kind of a win for SDSU.
            Is that you Joeboo?
            Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
              If you didn't hear the SFA or Sports Authority people's excitement, you may not have been listening. Having USD in the conference almost locked up the tournament in Sioux Falls for as long as they wanted it.

Why would sponsors or anybody else talk about USD until they were actually in the tournament? It was exciting news, but not as exciting as the teams actually playing. Also, sponsors like to sell stuff. If there weren't any USD fans at the tourney, why would they try to sell stuff to them?

Finally, some Coyote fans seem to have a chip on their shoulder regarding media coverage in Sioux Falls because you don't have a beat reporter for the Argus Leader. Do you realize that being in the Big Sky will make it impossible to have even the coverage you have now? Big Sky virtually guarantees that the only time your sports teams see an Argus Leader reporter is at home games and the conference tournament. Have fun with that.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

A minor correction...the Argus does have a beat reporter for USD in Mick Garry...he is TV's mirror image for the Coyotes. That doesn't negate the thought that things will be MUCH tougher covering the Big Sky than it would have been to have USD in the Summit (and MVFC).

Comment

I could see the MVFC allow USD in, they wouldnt have to worry about UND anymore, they could still do 4-4 and 1 not played so its still even for home and away and allow for OOC games. Unless there is a rule you need to play everyone once.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    A minor correction...the Argus does have a beat reporter for USD in Mick Garry...he is TV's mirror image for the Coyotes. That doesn't negate the thought that things will be MUCH tougher covering the Big Sky than it would have been to have USD in the Summit (and MVFC).
                    Why do USD fans complain that the Argus Leader doesn't give them any coverage? Could it be because initially they were DII, then joined a DI conference in the west that made it impossible to finish stories by print time?

I would have to think the Argus Leader would be very, very hesitant to send a reporter to games that won't be over in time for print given the financial issues in print media these days.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                      Why do USD fans complain that the Argus Leader doesn't give them any coverage? Could it be because initially they were DII, then joined a DI conference in the west that made it impossible to finish stories by print time?

I would have to think the Argus Leader would be very, very hesitant to send a reporter to games that won't be over in time for print given the financial issues in print media these days.

Hate to be blunt...but the reason the the Argus doesn't give USD the coverage that SDSU gets is because of the pure number of readers(eyes). There are more fans that passionatly care about SDSU than USD. Don't get me wrong...there are passionate USD fans...just not near the number that SDSU has. Just as NDSU probably has more passionate NDSU fans and more fans in general than SDSU...Yes I'll admit it.
                      I've had multiple USD fans/alumni admit as much. I do think the move to D-1 will help though, fairly certain it did at SDSU...not so sure about the Big Sky move though(long term that is).

Go Jacks!!
                      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                        USD will still be in Vermillion, and SDSU will still be in Brookings. Beat reporters cover schools more than conferences, and a lot of their work is done by phone and other electronic connections. Viewed from that perspective, conference affiliation probably isn't a huge deal. On the other hand, advertising sales related to live media coverage (print, online, radio, TV) might be another matter. I have no idea how that will shake out.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

As for beat writers, I think we can all agree that TV is very good at what he does, puts in a tremendous effort and it shows. His work alone has brought in a number of new SDSU fans.
                          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I could see the MVFC allow USD in, they wouldnt have to worry about UND anymore, they could still do 4-4 and 1 not played so its still even for home and away and allow for OOC games. Unless there is a rule you need to play everyone once.
                            Here was my guess, before the news of a press confrence. I dont mind to toot my own horn.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              The question still remain, who do you not play and how do you make that fair. The Big 10 and several other conferences don't have divisions and don't have a true round robin so it is done. The fairness issue works itself out over time, I suppose.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                The question still remain, who do you not play and how do you make that fair. The Big 10 and several other conferences don't have divisions and don't have a true round robin so it is done. The fairness issue works itself out over time, I suppose.
                                Thats why I was not sure if our confrence would require every team to play. If it does we loose an OOC game, but it takes away the difficulties in finding an extra team. Just a bummer if we would have 4 home and 5 road games. I hope they make it so its alternates NDSU and USD every year. It would stink having them away the same year.

Comment

Working...
                                X