Reasons Why the Yotes should go to the Big Sky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reasons Why the Yotes should go to the Big Sky

I'd rather be in a one bid league that has 8 teams to compete with than a one bid league with 12? other teams to compete with. Bigger share of the tourney pie and a better chance of making the NCAA tourney in the Summit.

Comment

Or, think of it this way, if USD goes to the Big Sky SDSU's road to the Big Dance just got a whole lot easier.

Also, how cool would it be for USD to win the BSC and SDSU to win the Summit and have both schools in the Tourney in the same year.

Silver linings, my friends, silver linings.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
        Problem 1. Will the Summit keep the basketball tourney in Sioux Falls every year if they lose the UXD's? I'd think the prospects increase of the tourney being rotated around.

Problem 2. The conference champs host the conference tourney in the BSC. So, your dream of ESPN televising a conference tourney in South Dakota could be from USD hosting the BSC tourney in Vermillion from a brand new, on campus basketball arena. I envision cutaway shots of the DakotaDome, Old Main, Carey's...The Sioux Falls media would be all over that.
        #1 The Summit League loves SF and SF loves the Summit League Championship. This has been true without you, and will be true without you.

#2 Acctually ESPN has broadcast conference championships from South Dakota already, and SDSU was and is the host school for the Summit League Tourney. So it is not a dream is has already happened twice and the Sioux Falls media loved it.

You missed my point. The Sioux Falls Media and the good folks from Sioux Falls love when they are in the spot light. The Summit League Tournament lets them be in the spot light. A BSC Championship from Vermillion doesn't do that. That is why I will really enjoy you guys going to the BSC. You are giving us the single largest market in our state each and every March. Thanks!

Comment

So this is a little thread drift but does USD still have a message board? I was trying to go there to read Big Sky thoughts and I can't seem to get it to load and get a please try again later message. Did more then two people sign on there at the same time and it crashed?

On the thread topic I think USD should go to the Big Sky. I think it is best for the state of SD. It puts the state on a bigger part of the national stage. We would have conference football games from Youngstown, Ohio for us to Sacremento, California for them. A larger footprint, more media markets, and better recognition of flyover country when those teams came here. Plus there is the potential to have two teams from SD in major tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
            We would have conference football games from Youngstown, Ohio for us to Sacremento, California for them.
            Well, then, let's rejoin the Great West.

It's got members in Houston, Chicago, and the New York metro!!!

Heck USD's football team was playing on the west coast while its basketball team was playing on the east coast last year, all in the same conference!!!!!

No other conference can give you that kind of exposure!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, though. Nobody cares. Getting a quarter inch blurb in the Sacramento Bee raises nobody's awareness.

Comment

One reason why I think the 'Yotes should go to the Big Sky is because I enjoy watching train wrecks. The travel costs will put a weight around their necks that will hinder their athletic department for years. Imagine what will happen to their expenses when gas goes to $4 again. Travel costs will go up a lot. They will have to cut salaries to coaches and reduce coaching staffs to make ends meet.

Meanwhile SDSU will be playing football and all sports on the road where you can actually travel and enjoy a road game every now and then. The print media will be able to afford traveling with the teams and keeping our alumni abreast of games the day the game is played. We will continue hosting the Summit League tourney, with ESPN there every year and we get the whole SF market to ourselves. SDSU will continue to upgrade facilities because our travel costs will be manageable. We will continue adding coaching staffs again because we can manage our travel costs.

USD will have to add a sport to be in compliance with the BSC. I'm sure that will help with their Title IX compliance. They will have to find a home for swimming & diving and softball.

Right now they would have a full schedule for all sports next year if the stay in the SL, except football. If they choose the BSC, they may be independent again until UND can join in 2013. I'm sure the west coast teams will not want to add USD without UND for travel purposes and if UND can't join until 2013, USD will not either. That means two more years without getting any of the March Madness money. USD may have to pay an exit fee or at least forfeit the money already paid to the SL and then pay the BSC. Montana may be gone by that time, which is the most recognized school in the BSC.

It just seems like a lot to give up just for a football conference. They could always join Drake and go non-scholly in football. That would save money. Or they could just drop the football program all together and save even more money.

I have no idea what USD or UND will do, but they do have a lot on their plate an I am glad we moved to D-1 when we did. It will be interested to watch it all unfold.

Go State!!!
              Go Jacks!!!
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I side with USD fans who are pro-Big Sky. It's a good conference, and it's every bit as stable as the Summit, if not more so. I think it would be cool to have South Dakota represented and exposed to two different geographic areas of the U.S. via conference affiliations. The two schools also could schedule regular rivalry games in all sports. That would make nonconference games easier to schedule and more interesting. Conference travel costs are a bogus issue. SDSU and USD have both survived far-flung scheduling affiliations and trips all over the place for tournaments and nonconference games. A little separation might be good for the two schools, too. Whoever first said "good fences make good neighbors" was right.
                Last edited by Jacked_Up; 10-29-2010, 03:41 PM. Reason: delete extra word
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  Conference travel costs are a bogus issue.
                  Huh?

Why are the Summit schools so happy to see SUU leave?

Comment

At least UND has hockey to help pay the bills. USD has ...
                    @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                    --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                      So this is a little thread drift but does USD still have a message board? I was trying to go there to read Big Sky thoughts and I can't seem to get it to load and get a please try again later message. Did more then two people sign on there at the same time and it crashed?

On the thread topic I think USD should go to the Big Sky. I think it is best for the state of SD. It puts the state on a bigger part of the national stage. We would have conference football games from Youngstown, Ohio for us to Sacremento, California for them. A larger footprint, more media markets, and better recognition of flyover country when those teams came here. Plus there is the potential to have two teams from SD in major tournaments.
                      Yes.

www.goyotes.net

Jacked Up, you are far to reasonable. Thank you for an enlightened post. I wish you guys luck too.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Huh?

Why are the Summit schools so happy to see SUU leave?
                        Travel can be an extra expense and an inconvenience, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. It wasn't when the Jacks were trying to get in the Big Sky.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                          Or, think of it this way, if USD goes to the Big Sky SDSU's road to the Big Dance just got a whole lot easier.

Also, how cool would it be for USD to win the BSC and SDSU to win the Summit and have both schools in the Tourney in the same year.

Silver linings, my friends, silver linings.
                          Or, think of it this way, if USD goes to the Big Sky USD's road to the Big Dance just got a whole lot easier.

Also, how cool would if be for USD to win the BSC and SDSU to win the Summit and have both schools in the Tourney in the same year.

Blue & Yellow lining, my friends, Blue & Yellow linings!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            Travel can be an extra expense and an inconvenience, but it shouldn't be a deal-breaker. It wasn't when the Jacks were trying to get in the Big Sky.
                            The Jacks were in a better situation financially.

They added a gigantic sport (equestrian) to balance Title IX numbers. USD, OTOH, cut baseball.

The difference it makes depends on the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                              ...If they choose the BSC, they may be independent again until UND can join in 2013....
                              I think I missed something. Why won't UND be able to join the Big Sky until 2013?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I think I missed something. Why won't UND be able to join the Big Sky until 2013?
                                If I understand the comments out of Grand Forks correctly, it's existing scheduling commitments.

Comment

Working...
                                X