Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Other Game Sept. 25th

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
    when it came time for U. to make the move those same people wanted the transition streamlined so that it would be easier to follow in big brother's footsteps
    The BoR's requirement for strict gender equity has benefited SDSU, as has the requirement that SDSU cultivate private money for supporting athletics. The annual athletic academic performance report provided by the BoR has benefited SDSU (from the 'sunshine is the best disinfectant' school of thought).

So in that respect, I think 'obstacles' that the BoR put in SDSU's way as they went D-1 have--in fact--made SDSU's program that much stronger.

On the other hand, the snippy, bitter, and ill-informed arguments that were advanced in support of those requirements were uncalled for.

Thus, I have kind of a Henny Penny attitude about SDSU's success. They earned it--they had no help from anyone in the legislature or at other regental instutitutions. Therefore, the school, IMO, has every right to maximize its independence from both the legislature and the rest of the regental schools.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
      So by the law of transitive results...if NDSU beats USD then NDSU would then be a respectable lower division member of the Big Ten by virtue of that victory. AND if Austin Peay should stumble into Wisconsin later this year and pull off an upset, USD could be considered for a Rose Bowl bid based on the fact that USD beat Minnesota, who beat Middle Tennessee State, who beat Austin Peay.

It all makes sense to me now.

Take congratulations where they are due. Don't make a fuss if SDSU fans don't want U. to win every game. Know that, yes, in the post game interview Brewster did say the team was not prepared like they should have been. No, this is not the same Minnesota team as last year, nor is it the same USD team, nor the same SDSU team as last year. Just because U. beat Minnesota does not mean they are 17 points better than SDSU. Minnesota will play USC better than they played U., which would then mean Lane Kiffin could be in Vermillion in two years. And finally, NOT signing a 3/2 deal with USD is good business sense because it puts no additional revenue in SDSU cofers, but puts plenty of $$$ in U.'s cofers. Personally, I think until U. is Title IX compliant like SDSU that SDSU should refuse to play U. in any sport. I can't wait until some U. State Rep cries to the BOR to DEMAND SDSU and U. play every year because it's good for the state. Lowering childhood obesity rates would be good for the state too, but no one is pushing for that very hard at every level.

For the un-initiated, the reason some of us have such distain for U. is NOT because of long standing "rivalries". It has to do with how U. fans, administrators and alumni tried to railroad SDSU's desire to move forward with the athletics program and boost the profile of the University as a whole. No punches were pulled by U. apologists. Yet, when it came time for U. to make the move those same people wanted the transition streamlined so that it would be easier to follow in big brother's footsteps. For me, it has nothing to do with the field of play, it has to do with the chickebleep way U. tried to stop SDSU's vision, and the halfcocked way they've followed in our footsteps.
      tl;dr
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
        Am I the only one who hopes NDSU just punishes USD all game? I don't think I'd be able to stand USD fans if they beat U of M AND almost beat/beat NDSU, especially if we have a tough time with the Bison in going for our fourth straight win over the cud-chewers. It was bad enough last year when we lost to their conference mate Cal-Poly.
        You are not alone. I'm cheering for a Bison blowout!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          tl;dr
          Says the internet savy nerd who felt the need to comment on a post he supposedly did not read.
          Last edited by CatchEmAll; 09-17-2010, 08:56 AM. Reason: Urban Dictionary explanation of tl;dr.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            But after our win at Minnesota and reading your responses on here, you have driven me away to ever cheer for your beloved Bunnies.
            This is a smack thread. Keep that in mind. And please read the "Congrats USD" thread that is now four pages long. Plenty of credit given for the Minnesota victory there.

I watched the game and USD's offense was very impressive. I was also impressed with the team's determination. I'm one of those who thinks Delaware is probably a better team than Minnesota... after all, Delaware doesn't have to overcome the disadvantage of having Tim Brewster as head coach.

While I suppose that I have to root for the MVFC in the USD/NDSU game, I won't be at all sad if USD goes up there and wins. Transition is a long, painful road, and USD did a lot to help bring its fan base along with that Minnesota win. And the SD in USD stands for South Dakota. How can you not root for a kid like Wes Powell who schooled Minnesota's d-backs last week? He's from Sioux Falls.

Personally, I enjoy having another D1 team to follow in the state. Revoke my "Screw the U" card if you have to, but also understand that I grew up in Brookings and bleed yellow and blue.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
              You are not alone. I'm cheering for a Bison blowout!
              As I said in my first post, I cheer for UDot to lose every game by the largest margin imaginable. This game is no different. I cheered for NDSU to beat the Gophers the two times they played...I groaned when UDot beat them. Enough said.

They're both rivals, even if we haven't played one of them for awhile. They are just different types of rivals.

Comment

Ran into two cousins who go to Udot today.

Please NDSU, beat these guys like UNI beat them last year. Because every Coyuck fan on the planet must have forgotten the punishment the MVFC can put on them.

Comment

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
                  Ran into two cousins who go to Udot today.

Please NDSU, beat these guys like UNI beat them last year. Because every Coyuck fan on the planet must have forgotten the punishment the MVFC can put on them.
                  Yesterday a friend who has never claimed to be a coyote fan until they beat the Gophers asked me what I thought about their blowout win over Oklahoma State. I tried to explain that they played an NAIA directional school located in Oklahoma and not Oklahoma State on Saturday in the d-dump. He just wasn't so sure about that.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Yesterday a friend who has never claimed to be a coyote fan until they beat the Gophers asked me what I thought about their blowout win over Oklahoma State. I tried to explain that they played an NAIA directional school located in Oklahoma and not Oklahoma State on Saturday in the d-dump. He just wasn't so sure about that.

What.....a......moron....
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      What.....a......moron....
                      That should have been apparent when JackMD referred to him as a friend.

I kid, I kid
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I am really surpised that any SDSU fan/alum would want USD to beat the Bison. NDSU and SDSU and the fans of each school should stand united against MeTooU and U.MeToo. I couldn't possibly imagine any Bison fan pulling for UND over SDSU and I'm surprised that isn't the case with everyone here.

Comment

Originally posted by HandoEX View Post
                          I am really surpised that any SDSU fan/alum would want USD to beat the Bison. NDSU and SDSU and the fans of each school should stand united against MeTooU and U.MeToo. I couldn't possibly imagine any Bison fan pulling for UND over SDSU and I'm surprised that isn't the case with everyone here.

Don't worry...If SDSU beats the Bison for the 4th year in a row in Fargo the week before...there will be plenty of Jackrabbit haters pulling for the Sioux over at Bisonville.

While I'm not necessarily pulling for USD this Saturday(only because it helps the MVFC if NDSU wins), Lakes and his boys did it in for me at the Summit League Tourney this year during our game vs. IPFW as far as any love for NDSU that I've had before.

Go Jacks!!
                          Last edited by propar80; 09-22-2010, 09:06 AM.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                            The idoicy...it makes my head hurt.

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                              The idoicy...it makes my head hurt.

Very funny follow up comment.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                                That should have been apparent when JackMD referred to him as a friend.

I kid, I kid
                                Did you enjoy your visit to Yankton?

And yes, I would refer to you as a friend.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X