Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Parker Douglass

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Of course, TCU, Tulsa, Idaho and Rice aren't in a BCS conference--and I think Tulsa & Rice are in C-USA, and TCU is in the Mountain West in any event.
    First question than comment.

Aren't they in a BCS conference, but just not one with an automatic bid to the series?

Comment: This is the problem with the whole FBS/BCS setup. If they can get in the game through whatever process, why aren't they consider part of the group? Rhetorical question to which I know the answer, money. The first question above is a real one. Does the BCS consider the FBS conference as part of the group without an auto bid, or are they not recognized as a conference by the BCS at all.

EDIT: Apologies in advance for continuing the drift.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
      First question than comment.

Aren't they in a BCS conference, but just not one with an automatic bid to the series?

Comment: This is the problem with the whole FBS/BCS setup. If they can get in the game through whatever process, why aren't they consider part of the group? Rhetorical question to which I know the answer, money. The first question above is a real one. Does the BCS consider the FBS conference as part of the group without an auto bid, or are they not recognized as a conference by the BCS at all.

EDIT: Apologies in advance for continuing the drift.
      The BCS is a coalition of 6 'power conferences':

Big Ten
      Pac Ten
      SEC
      Big Twelve
      Big East
      ACC

+ Notre Dame

(Frankly, IMO, the Mountain West was better than the Big East & ACC this year, but that's the way they're set up)

As well as 5 major bowl games:

BCS Bowl (which awards a theoretical championship)
      Fiesta Bowl
      Rose Bowl
      Orange Bowl
      Sugar Bowl

As you can see, there are 10 teams able to play in those 5 bowls.

The conference champs from each of the 6 BCS conferences get in automatically--as does Notre Dame under certain circumstances.

The other three/four teams are selected by backroom politicking, cronyism, and such like maneuvering in vague adherence to a byzantine set of rules and ostensibly in obedience to the dictates of the computerized BCS poll.

FBS schools are eligible for invitation to one of the BCS bowls, but are almost never given preference over BCS schools.

-----

Other FBS schools and lesser BCS schools fill out the lineups at 29 other bowl games.

Basically, half of the FBS gets invited to a bowl game of some sort, but only 10 elite teams are invited to the BCS bowls.

----

NB: non-BCS FBS conferences:
      WAC
      Mountain West
      Sun Belt
      C-USA
      MAC

Comment

I should not have used BCS in my post, because I meant FBS, which is the NCAA name for the old Division I-A. Those are schools in the "higher" division, and yes the WAC is not a "BCS" school with an auto-bid, but is a conference eligible for the bowls. It is, indeed, confusing, and yes, there is a lot of back-room maneuvering for the bowls...thus the push by the "outsiders" to have an FBS playoff system, like the FCS has.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          the push by the "outsiders" to have an FBS playoff system, like the FCS has.
          It seems difficult to explain how the ACC & Big East merit 'auto' bids to bowls with gigantic payouts, given how unremarkable their top teams were this past year (FSU=#17, West Virginia=#26 in Sagarin's ratings).

By contrast the MWC had 2 teams in the Sagarin top 10, and Boise State finished ahead of both FSU & WVU in the Sagarin ratings as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
            Of course, TCU, Tulsa, Idaho and Rice aren't in a BCS conference--and I think Tulsa & Rice are in C-USA, and TCU is in the Mountain West in any event.

Baylor, Duke, Vandy and Wake Forest are all smaller than SDSU as well... And all the service academies are smaller. Most of the Catholic BB schools are smaller as well (Xavier, Seton Hall, the assorted Loyolas, Gonzaga, etc.)

Add Stanford and Northwestern, at least for undergrads.

Comment

So one little word "tiny" generated all this discusion about BSC and all? What happen to Parker Douglass? Is he still playing for the Cleveland Browns? Lets not forget him.

Comment

Well, looks like Parker's tryout with the Browns was short lived. The link says he was waived for rookie WR Robiske.

http://cle.scout.com/a.z?s=149&p=9&c...=4349356&fhn=1

Comment

Good link from a kicking coach's blog about Parker. I guess he went worked out with the coach in Arizona this spring.

http://coachzauner.blogspot.com/2009...lass-sdsu.html

Comment

How about he was picked up by the New York Jets!

" Signed Kicker Parker Douglass; waived wide receiver Huey Whittaker. "

Under transactions here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

Credit to Terry Vandrovec for the twitter teaser that got a few of us at my house looking online. He said read the Argus Leader tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by el_presidente View Post
                      How about he was picked up by the New York Jets!

" Signed Kicker Parker Douglass; waived wide receiver Huey Whittaker. "

Under transactions here: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/transactions

Credit to Terry Vandrovec for the twitter teaser that got a few of us at my house looking online. He said read the Argus Leader tomorrow
                      Great for Parker Douglass. Really appears to be a nice young man. Best of luck to him with the Jets. I would imagine that when your resime includes having broken several of Adam V's records in college it likely gets someones attention.

GBGBGJ

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...15/1002/sports

The Argus had a short article in the paper today about Parker.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Parker kicking for the Jets tonight,

Kicking FG LG XP PTS
                          P. Douglass
                          FG 1/1 20 long and 2 for 2 on xtra points
                          MISSOURI VALLEY NATION
                          http://missourivalleyfootball.com

South Dakota State University
                          http://gojacks.com

Comment

About time we get to see Parker kicking in the NFL, looked good in the green and white. To end the game he kicked a perfect onside kick but unfortunately the players didn't grab it in time before it went out of bounds. I'm pretty confident that if he doesn't catch on with the Jets he will still get a shot somewhere.

Comment

Rex Ryan lost the game due to him neglecting his greatest offensive weapon, Parker Douglass!

Okay, maybe not the Jets greatest offensive weapon , but I still think they should of had him kick that roughly 50 yard field goal that he chose to go for instead. I don't blame him for going for 2 at the end of the game though, it's preseason after all.

Overall Parker's performance was pretty good. He had a couple kickoffs that didn't get returned past the 20, made all his xp attempts, made the short field goal he was asked to attempt, and had a really nice onside kick at the end of the game. The one real negative of the game was that he kicked one of his kickoffs out of bounds, which is never good.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

It wasn't long after the field goal that he made that one of the announcers that mentioned their returning kicker (Feeley???) was injured and that is why Parker was given the chance. They made it sound like as soon as the starter was recovered that Parker would be gone.

Either way, I hope he makes the most of the opportunity because there will be other teams looking for kickers if things don't work out for the Jets.

He nailed that field goal!!!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X