Favre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favre

I've seen several Packer flags flying at half-mast since the annoucement--too funny

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Favre was good and all...but...the guy only won 1 Super Bowl in 17 seasons. I don't know if he'd be in my top 10 QB's of all time.
      Who is in your top ten then?

Comment

Just had to add this since I noticed someone brought up the Favre thread. I was in court this morning (for work, not because I was in trouble) and an attorney who was appearing on a case ahead of me was wearing a very nice suit with a trench coat and a, you guessed it, Packers hat. He didn't wear the hat to the courthouse and take it off while in court. He wore it into the building, into the courtroom and only took it off when the Judge called him and opposing counsel into chambers. He had it back on as soon as he was out of chambers and out the door. Only in Wisconsin can 1) a Packers hat be a perfectly acceptable accessory to a suit and 2) can someone wear that outfit to court and not have anyone give a second look.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by darkerstill View Post
          Who is in your top ten then?
          I believe these QB's, to name a few, are better than Favre (in no particular order):

Tom Brady
          Peyton Manning
          Troy Aikman
          Steve Young
          Joe Montana
          Bart Starr
          Terry Bradshaw
          Roger Staubach
          John Elway
          Johnny Unitas
          Dan Marino
          Bob Griese
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I believe these QB's, to name a few, are better than Favre (in no particular order):

Tom Brady
            Peyton Manning
            Troy Aikman
            Steve Young
            Joe Montana
            Bart Starr
            Terry Bradshaw
            Roger Staubach
            John Elway
            Johnny Unitas
            Dan Marino
            Bob Griese
            Bob Griese better than Favre??? I'm not a Packer fan by any stretch but you can't be serious?

Favre may not be the best stats QB of all time (td/int etc.) but all he did was set all time marks for yardage and td's. He is also the Cal Ripken of quarterbacks with a ridiculous number of consecutive starts. His passion has made some very average teams in Green Bay a lot better than they should have been.

I understand all the arguments about being sick of the Packers fans or if you are a bitter Viking fan but to not love how Brett Favre plays the game is just crazy (you aren't saying that in your post).

Favres makes every top ten list that I can think of in the NFL! I'd love to see him come back as a Falcon.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              Bob Griese better than Favre??? I'm not a Packer fan by any stretch but you can't be serious?

Favre may not be the best stats QB of all time (td/int etc.) but all he did was set all time marks for yardage and td's. He is also the Cal Ripken of quarterbacks with a ridiculous number of consecutive starts. His passion has made some very average teams in Green Bay a lot better than they should have been.

I understand all the arguments about being sick of the Packers fans or if you are a bitter Viking fan but to not love how Brett Favre plays the game is just crazy (you aren't saying that in your post).

Favres makes every top ten list that I can think of in the NFL! I'd love to see him come back as a Falcon.

SUPERBUNNY
              I am neither a Pack or Vikes fan....I simply use logic and reason. Favre would probably be #1 on everybody's list if you go by heart, desire, toughness, etc. That doesn't translate into big time wins unfortunately. The fact of the matter is, Favre hasn't performed well in the playoffs for most of his career.

Favre's playoff stats:
              Record: 12-10
              TD/Int: 39/28
              Passer Rating: 85.2
              Seasons played: 17
              Super Bowls won: 1

I'd say that's mediocre at best come playoff time.
              Last edited by jacks1; 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM. Reason: clarification
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I am fine with the playoff stats but you have Marino ahead of Farve. If playoff Stats are your major deciding factor I think you should look Marino's up, mainly, 0 Superbowls won in 13+ years.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                  I am fine with the playoff stats but you have Marino ahead of Farve. If playoff Stats are your major deciding factor I think you should look Marino's up, mainly, 0 Superbowls won in 13+ years.
                  Yah, I could buy that argument. I would have a hard time arguing against anybody putting Favre ahead of Marino. I could probably be sold on Favre somewhere around 8-10 all time, but I can't see him in the top 7 in any scenario.

Comment

The only thing in my mind that was impressive about Favre was the consecutive starts.

Comment

I'd say that the fact that his team had the winningest record in football during the time he was the starter was pretty impressive in itself.
                      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                        I'd say that the fact that his team had the winningest record in football during the time he was the starter was pretty impressive in itself.
                        Impressive for his TEAM. It wasn't a one man show. That said, the one thing those teams could always count on was Favre showing up and giving his best. There is a lot to be said for that. I can think of a team I am a diehard fan and supporter of that could use a guy like that.

I am a huge Michael Jordan fan and the one thing I wish he never would have done was comeback and play for the Wizards. If Favre decides to return to the Packers I won't wince, if he returns to try it with some other team.....big mistake IMHO.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Impressive for his TEAM. It wasn't a one man show. That said, the one thing those teams could always count on was Favre showing up and giving his best. There is a lot to be said for that. I can think of a team I am a diehard fan and supporter of that could use a guy like that.

I am a huge Michael Jordan fan and the one thing I wish he never would have done was comeback and play for the Wizards. If Favre decides to return to the Packers I won't wince, if he returns to try it with some other team.....big mistake IMHO.
                          I totally agree MD. I have always thought that rating a quarterback on super bowl wins isn't quite right because the best quarterback can't do anything with a crappy team around him.

I've never been much of a Packer fan (except when Timmerman played there) but I have always thought Favre made for great TV. He always made it interesting to watch a game.
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                            The only thing in my mind that was impressive about Favre was the consecutive starts.
                            ...and the fact that he didn't have a supporting cast around him. Or the fact that without the supporting cast he has thrown more touchdowns than any other QB in the history of the NFL. Or that he has the most yards ever by a QB. Or that he has the most wins as a starting QB in the history of the league.

Other than that, I would agree...I don't think he was impressive at all.

Comment

Tom Brady
                              Peyton Manning
                              Troy Aikman
                              Steve Young
                              Joe Montana
                              Bart Starr
                              Terry Bradshaw
                              Roger Staubach
                              John Elway
                              Johnny Unitas
                              Dan Marino
                              Bob Griese
                              Based on your other quote about only one Super Bowl win for Favre, and that being the a reason he wasn't in your "top ten"...how many Super Bowl wins did Young have?

I believe Elway had two more wins (and two less losses) than Favre in the playoffs( 14-8, 12-10), and one more Super Bowl win. Hardly a HUGE gap between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by darkerstill View Post
                                ...and the fact that he didn't have a supporting cast around him. Or the fact that without the supporting cast he has thrown more touchdowns than any other QB in the history of the NFL. Or that he has the most yards ever by a QB. Or that he has the most wins as a starting QB in the history of the league.

Other than that, I would agree...I don't think he was impressive at all.
                                The mourning is over, are you now able to talk about Favre without crying? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X