Chris Kluwe Fiasco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chris Kluwe Fiasco

My comment about this affair is: I have none. I thought we did not discuss politics on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      My comment about this affair is: I have none. I thought we did not discuss politics on this board.
      This shouldn't be considered politics. This is a human rights issue. I applaud Kluwe.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        Kluwe mentioned in the article the reason he didn't release the article during the season is that he still has friends on the Vikings and didn't want to create a controversy and take away from the team during the season. He also mentions that he released at the time he did so the controversy would be over by the team the season started.
        It will be interesting to see if any Vikings players verify Kluwe's account when they talk with the independent investigators. So far,three players who were at special teams meetings during the 2012 season (Blair Walsh,Jerome Felton and Harrison Smith) have all strongly stated that they never heard the special teams coach ever speak in the way Kluwe is accusing.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Kluwe (who, by the way is married with two daughters in case anyone wondered) has a large online following, including 192,000 Twitter followers. He wrote a well-reviewed book, Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies that expanded eloquently on his political beliefs. I was pleased, reading the comments on the Deadspin article, that many readers understand that what Kluwe says there is about something much bigger than his own career.

There are a lot of reasons to believe what he's saying here: First, what does Kluwe have to gain by airing this dirty laundry? By doing so, he has closed the door on any possible comeback to Roger Goodell's PR-obsessed NFL. Second, most of the incidents he describes in his statement were witnessed by multiple other players. Third, he's not the only player whose career prospects disappeared when he spoke out on gay rights. (Also, while it's not direct evidence, there was a story today about the special teams coach's kid using a gay slur in about a zillion tweets... in my experience, that suggests at least that there wasn't anyone in that house speaking kindly about gay rights.)

I, for one, believe what he says and I can't imagine that anyone could honestly believe that there isn't rampant and open homophobia and bigotry in the NFL (this is hardly the first inkling of that). One of the most interesting parts of all of this to me is that celebrated "good guy" Leslie Frazier really comes off as superficial and spineless.
          Must spread rep. +1.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            It will be interesting to see if any Vikings players verify Kluwe's account when they talk with the independent investigators. So far,three players who were at special teams meetings during the 2012 season (Blair Walsh,Jerome Felton and Harrison Smith) have all strongly stated that they never heard the special teams coach ever speak in the way Kluwe is accusing.
            I wouldn't be surprised to hear of others that work/worked in the organization relate hearing similar things from Priefer.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

IF the ST coach is guilty, then I hope he never coaches in the NFL.... However if he is cleared, I hope he sues Kluwe for defamation of character.

Frankly, this whole episode seems a little fishy to me and reeks of sour grapes.

I like Kluwe and I enjoy the fact he speaks his mind. And I agree with a lot of stuff he believes in. But the fact is, he was an average player who was in decline and making too much money. Better to cut him loose and get a young punter who made four times less and has a bigger upside.

And for those folks who want to crucify the Vikings for cutting him because of his views... were you as incensed when A&E did the same thing to the Duck Dynasty guy?
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                And for those folks who want to crucify the Vikings for cutting him because of his views... were you as incensed when A&E did the same thing to the Duck Dynasty guy?
                No not really.

Comment

Oh yea, so we have the democrats, the republicans and the gay people. I have a couple co-workers who are gay and one is married to another guy. Big deal? Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                    Oh yea, so we have the democrats, the republicans and the gay people. I have a couple co-workers who are gay and one is married to another guy. Big deal? Nah.
                    So what? You have gay people working with you. Almost 20 years ago, when I was working for the Fed, I was shocked to hear our personnel guy who helped me in the hiring process, got married. To whom you ask? Another guy. Did I quit my job in protest? No I quietly retired January 1, 2004. By that time our personnel rep had also retired. I have no clue about this guy and his marriage, and I really don't care to find out. Playing in the NFL has its consequences, since you are assigned a number and kind of marks you for life and if this guy helps break down intolerance so be it.

Comment

The thing that still blows my mind is that the Vikings drafted a punter in the 5th round. Most punters go undrafted. Kluwe still could play in the NFL but wont after this article that he wrote. He's still better than half of the punters in the NFL today. There has to be more to the story than what is written. Changes have to be made if Kluwe did lose his job because of his beliefs. When Jason Collins (recent player in the NBA) came out people embraced it and he got a lot of support from people, teammates, and other players from all major sports. I don't believe the NBA made a big deal out of it or not.

Comment

So what? You have gay people working with you. Almost 20 years ago, when I was working for the Fed, I was shocked to hear our personnel guy who helped me in the hiring process, got married. To whom you ask? Another guy. Did I quit my job in protest? No I quietly retired January 1, 2004. By that time our personnel rep had also retired. I have no clue about this guy and his marriage, and I really don't care to find out. Playing in the NFL has its consequences, since you are assigned a number and kind of marks you for life and if this guy helps break down intolerance so be it.
                        I guess i can say "So what" too.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          I guess i can say "So what" too.
                          So what's your point?zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

I've always been partial to Sour Cream and Raisin pie, myself...
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                              I've always been partial to Sour Cream and Raisin pie, myself...
                              And Duck Dynasty.

Comment

Never watched it. I prefer "Fast N' Loud" myself.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X