Naters gonna Nate - on the NBA stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Naters gonna Nate - on the NBA stage

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2013...ers/index.html Here are Nate's stats for Summer league so far. Unfortunately last night was more of the same, but he was a little more aggressive offensively. He has a couple of things that appear to really be holding him back right now. He hasn't hit a jump shot yet so they aren't respecting that part of his game, and he is timid about taking it hard to the rack. If you combine all of that with receiving very few solid screens from his teammates what you get are limited opportunities to score. Last night he had 2 layups that he put so hard off the glass that neither one drew iron and one layup that he totally lost control out of bounds......he just seems so rattled that it is frustrating to watch as a fan of his. Defensively he is still struggling to fight through screens at the top of the key, although his teammates have offered little support with deterring the guard that is going by. Nate is going to need a lot of time to adjust to the speed of the game both offensively and defensively, I'm hoping that having structured offensive sets will make a difference. If you want to watch, I think it is archived on ESPN3.

Comment

I think this is why TV was right about Wolters needing to be in the right system.

You look at the Bucks, and is it even remotely clear what they're trying to accomplish? Is there a method to their madness? I wonder about the coaching that Wolters is getting between games.

SDSU may never make it to the sweet 16, but they have a professional coaching staff with a professional approach to the game, to game prep, and a methodical, orderly way of going about their business. Do you get that sense about the Bucks? I don't. Before they drafted Wolters, I had them pegged along with about 2/3rds of the NBA as being utterly clueless about how to construct a team over time. When they let Monta Ellis go, and were willing to cut ties with Brandong Jennings, I figured, 'hey, maybe they learned a few things.'

And then they signed OJ Mayo? Shoot. Why would you let Ellis go and then turn around and sign OJ Mayo? He's going to be another me-first malcontent on a too-expensive salary.

Comment

The problem with the Bucks is that their ownership would rather remain semi-competitive (battle out for a 7 or 8 seed every year) than tank and completely rebuild.

Since 2001 they've never won more than 46 games and only fell below 30 twice. That's the worst place for an NBA team to be. Not competitive enough to do anything serious and not bad enough to consistently get good draft picks. And that's an ownership thing. Look at what New Orleans did this year. Their owner wanted the team to be competitive now so they end up trading Noel and a 1st rounder in next year's loaded draft for an above average point guard on a decent contract and signing Tyreke Evans to a ridiculous deal. That's just how the league works. A team could have a good GM and coaching staff in place, but if the owner decides that he wants to win sooner, the front office has to do it. That's the issue with the Bucks (though I don't think the front office and coaching staff are that good).

I agree that the Bucks have no real direction, though OJ Mayo at 8 million a year is sooooo much better than the 13 that Ellis would have been owed if he didn't opt out. I don't agree at all with your assessment of Mayo vs. Ellis. Ellis can't shoot and keeps trying. Mayo is a good shooter and a decent defender. (There's a reason it took so long for someone to sign Ellis. He's not good. Mayo is average.) And his contract isn't that bad. The big issue with his contract is that it's a bad one for a team like the Bucks. But again, it's just a stop gap to get back to mediocrity.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Wolters started 0-6 but ended up going 4-5 the rest of the way and had 9pts 5reb 4ast 2stl and 1block. Seems like he is still adjusting to the longer 3pt line as his shots are hitting the front of the rim but he will be fine. Remember, it is only Summer League and is more than just shooting and how many points you score.
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            Wolters started 0-6 but ended up going 4-5 the rest of the way and had 9pts 5reb 4ast 2stl and 1block. Seems like he is still adjusting to the longer 3pt line as his shots are hitting the front of the rim but he will be fine. Remember, it is only Summer League and is more than just shooting and how many points you score.
            A highlight of Nate with a steal and layup is up.
            http://www.nba.com/games/20130718/MILLAL/gameinfo.html

Comment

Nate somewhat found himself tonight. He had a pretty solid game for his last summer league game. 20 points (8-13 ; 1-3 from 3) 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 2 turnovers in 27 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                Nate somewhat found himself tonight. He had a pretty solid game for his last summer league game. 20 points (8-13 ; 1-3 from 3) 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, and 2 turnovers in 27 minutes.
                IMO, Nate never really played bad. His shots just weren't falling like they normally do and he's still getting used to shooting a longer 3. His on ball defense has been fine. Glad to see he hit his shots finally fell for a whole game. Hopefully I get to see him in Sioux Falls

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                  Nice to see Nate hit some shots. Ultimately, I don't think that there is anything in this summer league performance that will elevate or lower the team's expectations for Nate. He simply got some playing time and that should help him a bit to further adjust once training camp begins.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                    IMO, Nate never really played bad. His shots just weren't falling like they normally do and he's still getting used to shooting a longer 3. His on ball defense has been fine. Glad to see he hit his shots finally fell for a whole game. Hopefully I get to see him in Sioux Falls
                    What I like is that--apart from the drop-off from his first game to his second, his performance has gotten better from one game to the next. And he's still getting comfortable out there. I mean this is 20pts and he's still settling in.

Comment

Found these, some Nate highlights in the first half of the video, lots of highlights of Nate in the second half of the video.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahqj3As9djg

Comment

Last minute is almost all Nate. Ish Smith looked good at PG.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel did a nice feature story on Nate.

Comment

Assistant coach Nick Van Exel had some very nice things to say about Nate in a 2nd article in the Milwaukee JS.

It sounds like Nate met or exceeded their expectations. They did not expect him to shoot well as Van Exel shared how he struggled shooting in his first summer camp. They were very pleased how quickly Nate picked up things.

It could be interesting how they share the minutes at the paint with Nate/Ish/Ridnour if they don't resign Jennings or get another point in a trade.

Comment

This isn't an excerpt that talks about Nate, but the state of the Bucks' franchise, as Nate and the Bucks are connected for the time-being. It comes from Grantland's Zach Lowe, who is the best NBA writer on the planet, and it's not even close. (Side-note: For people that don't like the NBA and think no one plays defense and all the offense is just one-on-one, read Zach Lowe. He does a masterful job of explaining the nuances and complexities of NBA offenses and defenses. He's easily one of the five best sports writers alive today.)

He wrote a column today about the off-season moves for each team. The Bucks were in the "Generating Bad Buzz" category, and here's what he had to say:

But a strong no. 4 (commonly asked question) was: "What is up with the Bucks? Are they aware they have 19 centers and two wing players?" Yes. Yes, they are. Milwaukee views Zaza Pachulia as a legit backup center — a well-rounded enforcer who can teach the young bucks (sorry) the required physicality and the little tricks about interior passing and sneaking in for offensive boards.

But signing him to a three-year, $15 million contract was strange, given the number of big men already on the roster before amnestying Drew Gooden — one of the NBA's great recent tragedies, at least in terms of missed comedic opportunity. Milwaukee before the J.J. Redick–Tobias Harris trade was on course to build a very nice team from within: Keep the young guys around, sign-and-trade Ellis for whatever you can get (including just second-round picks, if need be), play hardball with Jennings, and stay lean going forward while filling out the wing with Harris and other cheap parts.

The Redick deal cost them two assets — Harris, and then Redick, for whom the Bucks managed to recoup two second-round picks. That's poor asset management. They're probably overvaluing O.J. Mayo at $8 million per season, but at least he's in his prime at a position of severe need.

The Bucks' cap sheet isn't so bad going forward after amnestying Gooden and trading Luc Richard Mbah a Moute to Sacramento. They'll be right around the cap next summer if they re-sign Jennings at market value and give LARRY SANDERS! something close to the max extension he'll want soon, and they could have significant space if they let Jennings walk. Flexibility would have come earlier without Pachulia and Mayo.

The other potential path: Tank, baby, tank! Let all the perimeter guys go and brick your way to a top-five pick in the best draft in years! But Herb Kohl, the owner of the team, has always prioritized staying competitive, and GMs generally listen to their bosses.
                              A lot of stuff has already been touched on, but this team does really look aimless. Hopefully Nate can find some success.
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

For those wondering why Brandon Jennings is a free agent and some crazy numbers watch this video that breaks down everything Brandon Jennings. Great stuff. http://www.bballbreakdown.com/why-br...-a-free-agent/

Comment

Working...
                                X