world series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: world series

Maybe I am not the purist others are, but it was good players who were having a hard time under pressure. It was a back and forth game, the cards came back from being down 5 times I think. every mistake and punch the took, they were able to counter punch. I loved carps 1-0 win over Halladay in the first round, but scoring runs and hits and watching players make and attempt plays is more compelling and exciting then a 2 hitter. I would love Carp to shut down the Rangers, but last night was something special. A lot of records and 1st evers happened.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Fortunately, i was at game 6 in '91. The loudest i have ever heard the dome. It took an hour and a half just to get out of the hallway to the wind tunnel. I still get goose bumps listening to the replays of that game. Last night was a "great ending", by no way a great game. 5 combined errors. The Cardinals couldn't even find grass for 5 innings. Call me a homer but , game 6 '91 when Kirby stole the show beats that one. On the 6pm espn yesterday, they had the Twins game 6 number two, and the Carlton Fisk home run number one.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
        I'll take a 1-0 game over last night's slop fest. What, with five errors a runner getting picked off third (WTF is Holliday doing by the way?), intentional walks, dumb pitching moves and whatever else. I may be in the minority here, but I find pitching duals absolutely riveting.

Was it an amazing comeback? Absolutely. I'm not disagreeing with that at all. I just don't think it's the greatest game ever.
        I dont like 1-0 games. Its like watching a soccer match.

Comment

Baseball is more boring to me than soccer. I used to love baseball but I can't get myself to watch a game anymore. I watched from the 8th till the end last night and I kept getting angry that the game wouldn't end.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            Baseball is more boring to me than soccer. I used to love baseball but I can't get myself to watch a game anymore. I watched from the 8th till the end last night and I kept getting angry that the game wouldn't end.
            And i watch from the start to about the 7th and DVR'd the rest. Must have something to do with age difference. Thank god for DVR. Except i didnt quite do it long enough. Only saw the walk off on sportscenter.

Comment

didn't watch the game, my Mankato State Mavericks were playing Augie on CBS College Sports Network

Comment

Cards win the world series. Totally awesome.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

First time the National League has won back to back world series since they won 4 straight 79-83. Now they need to get rid of the stupid rule of giving the home advantage to the league that wins the all star game. How bout giving it to the team with the best record since the rest of the playoffs are done that way.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    Cards win the world series. Totally awesome.
                    Agree, and one of these days it will be the Cubs turn.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Yep, because years ago Colburn was the greatest athlete SDSU has ever had. Now its Wolters, and in the future it will be somebody else. Thats the great thing about sports. There will always be a new best ever. Sports would really suck if it never did.
                      Tru dat!
                      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        Baseball is best when one is at the game. IMHO, if not attending it is better to listen on radio than watch on TV.
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Late to the party but I would just argue that exciting does not equal great. Game 6 was as exciting as they come but it was not great.
                          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                          -Leo Rosten

Comment

I guess the game to be was pretty aweome. new polls show people feel it was better then Pucketts game 6 when Freese saved the game with his triple then next at bad his homer in game 6. Sure there were a few errors. but the series over had great performances for Freese and Napoli, history made with Pujols 3 homer game. Great pitching games 2. a team had a chance to win twice down to the last strike, twice a team fought back in that game to force a game 7.

As a cardinals fan, I didnt think they played as well as they should have considering the talent they had. All things considered, the cardinals stats wise it was hard to think they could do what they did.

1st, pujols does not hit .300 or 100 rbi for first time in career, also his injury with Holiday out for some time also.
                            2nd, with out best pitcher Wainwright.
                            3rd. bullpen had 2nd most blown saves on the season.
                            4th. they commited the 6th most errors of any team all year..
                            5th. lead the league in hit into double plays.
                            6th Carpenter the best pitcher on the team does not get 11th win untill last game of the year.

You tell me at the beinning of the year pujols hits below career numbers, no Wainwright, lead the league in double plays and carp struggles half year and inconsistant pen and your best hitter most of the year was Lance berkman and they would win the WS. I wouldnt have taken that bet. I thought losing Wain was to much of a lose that they couldnt rebound from but I am glad I was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Agree, and one of these days it will be the Cubs turn.
                              I would say that one of these days it will be the Twins' turn, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen. I found the Wheaties box from 1987 when they won it in my grandmas attic. she let me keep it!!!! i was excited.
                              Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                              ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
                                I would say that one of these days it will be the Twins' turn, but I'm not sure if that will ever happen. I found the Wheaties box from 1987 when they won it in my grandmas attic. she let me keep it!!!! i was excited.
                                Where would I find a Cubs Wheatie box other than from the choke years like 1969? 1987 was just yesterday in my mind. The box has little value.

Comment

Working...
                                X