Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Twins 2011 Season Thread

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
    I don't think it matters where he is, HIS offense/defense will be the same. The team as a whole's might vary, but Cuddy himself will be the same.
    Well that's not exactly true. Different stadiums are better for hitting and some are better for pitching. Coors Field in CO where Cuddyer is going is notoriously a hitters park so his numbers should pick up as a result. For example, Tood Helton spent his entire career in Colorado and hit .354/.451/.620 at home in his career and .291/.391/.478 on the road for his career. At home, he is a HOFer and on the road he is not even close. Quite the difference.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Funny thing is the trees never seemed to bother the visiting teams as much as the Twins. They let that stadium get in their heads from the beginning that it was sooo hard to hit a ball out of there.
      Seriously. Every other team that comes in hits just fine at Target Field.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        Seriously. Every other team that comes in hits just fine at Target Field.
        I think that has to do more with the pitchers then the ball park. Target Field is a slight pitchers park, but it doesn't matter if its old Shea stadium if your pitchers are not that great. The Twins pitchers last season were not that great.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          I think that has to do more with the pitchers then the ball park. Target Field is a slight pitchers park, but it doesn't matter if its old Shea stadium if your pitchers are not that great. The Twins pitchers last season were not that great.
          When was the last season the Twins out-homered the opposing team ? Probably 87 or 91. A big part of this is the organizations philosophy of pitching to contact and making their hitters hit to the opposite field.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            Well that's not exactly true. Different stadiums are better for hitting and some are better for pitching. Coors Field in CO where Cuddyer is going is notoriously a hitters park so his numbers should pick up as a result. For example, Tood Helton spent his entire career in Colorado and hit .354/.451/.620 at home in his career and .291/.391/.478 on the road for his career. At home, he is a HOFer and on the road he is not even close. Quite the difference.
            I think that's close enough to an example of letting stuff get to you or inside your head. It doesn't matter what field I'm on, for me, I'm the same. It shouldn't matter. But ok. you win.
            Great moments are born from great opportunities.
            ---Herb Brooks

Comment

I perfer to think of the team as a whole how well he will do. If he has cargo and tulo hitting in front of him that's better then anything the twins had. That in it self should help his numbers.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think that's close enough to an example of letting stuff get to you or inside your head. It doesn't matter what field I'm on, for me, I'm the same. It shouldn't matter. But ok. you win.
                I get what you are saying, but in the pros they have everything figured out. What fields favor righties, lefties, which ones have good back drops, how some retractable roof stadiums are better with roof open, and some with roof shut. The ball caries better in some stadiums to right, and in some stadiums the ball caries better to left.

Comment

I don't win. You're not arguing against me or my opinion; you're arguing against math and thousands upon thousands of games of data. There are people that get paid lots of money to figure this stuff out. If you're interested in it at all, I recommend this book. It's a little heavy on the numbers/math but a solid read.

Or just look here and the difference between Coors field and Target field is pretty apparent. Description of the stats:

Park Factor compares the rate of stats at home vs. the rate of stats on the road. A rate higher than 1.000 favors the hitter. Below 1.000 favors the pitcher. Teams with home games in multiple stadiums list aggregate Park Factors.

It has nothing to do with the mental abilities of players. Baseball is the only major sport where there is no uniform playing field. Since each field is different, each field produces different results.

Last edited by RabbitObsessed; 12-17-2011, 03:03 PM.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    [SIZE=2]

I don't win. You're not arguing against me or my opinion; you're arguing against math and thousands upon thousands of games of data. There are people that get paid lots of money to figure this stuff out. If you're interested in it at all, I recommend this book. It's a little heavy on the numbers/math but a solid read.

Or just look here and the difference between Coors field and Target field is pretty apparent. Description of the stats:

It has nothing to do with the mental abilities of players. Baseball is the only major sport where there is no uniform playing field. Since each field is different, each field produces different results.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]
                    Dude, I'm arguing against it because I'm a 14 year old girl and too stupid to figure out all of that stuff. I'm just putting out my opinions for you guys to see because you are all men who are older and wiser than I am. I love hearing your opinions and I respect them, so I thought that you should hear mine.
                    ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Dude, I'm arguing against it because I'm a 14 year old girl and too stupid to figure out all of that stuff. I'm just putting out my opinions for you guys to see because you are all men who are older and wiser than I am. I love hearing your opinions and I respect them, so I thought that you should hear mine.
                      Lets put it this way..... At your age, and in softball it really doesn't matter where you are playing, unless its a mental thing. In baseball you see it more, Cadwell in Mitchell is a pitchers park (very large). The birdcage in Sioux Falls is more of a hitters park (smaller).

In MLB baseball when you have too many people with way too much time on their hands they come up with formulas and they have statistics and everything else they come up with it. Generally its 3 things that you factor in. How does the ball carry, the dimensions and then appearance (back drop), some parks are known to be more tricky to hit in, some have tougher back drop, etc.

Comment

It's definitely a mental thing. For the rest of the girls on my team. I still think that where you're at shouldn't effect how you mentally play the game. If you're trying to do something how you normally would, then you will.
                        ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Word on the street is Cuddyer asked the Rockies for the #3, to honor Harmon Killebrew.

However, word on the street is wrong...I'm pretty sure he asked to wear #3 to honor Nate Wolters.#natersgonnanate
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                            Word on the street is Cuddyer asked the Rockies for the #3, to honor Harmon Killebrew.

However, word on the street is wrong...I'm pretty sure he asked to wear #3 to honor Nate Wolters.#natersgonnanate
                            Niiiiice. That's good thinking my friend. So, Kubel went to Arizona. What'ya think about that?
                            ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Working...
                            X