Conference shifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference shifts

Big 12 asking for an answer from Nebraska and Missouri by June 11th or maybe the 16th. Big 10 seems most interested in Texas, the Big 10 hasn't set a deadline on a decision.

Pac-10 is interested in the 6 teams from the Big 12 south, which of course, includes Texas and Oklahoma.

So, how big does the "Big 10" want to be? It appears the "Pac-10" will be willing to go to 16 teams if Texas and Oklahoma are part of the expansion.

Where do KU/Kstate/Iowa St./Baylor end up? I don't know for sure what they will want to do. I haven't heard a lot of talk about the Big East schools or N.D. in the latest conversation about conference expansion.

It is interesting to follow.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Conference shifts

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Big 10 seems most interested in Texas
    What's interesting about that is that it if it happens it just blows up the concept of 'regional' conferences.

I mean shoot, what's to prevent an ambitious commissioner from aiming for a nation straddling super conference?

--

My pet theory is that nothing really crazy happens, just because of the inertia involved in moving a dozen or more major institutions around. I mean, it's like knocking the moon out of orbit or something.

Comment

My theory is that the Big 10 adds Notre Dame only so they have 12 teams and everything else stays the same; Big 12 stays intact; Pac-10 stays the same, etc, and all of this talk will have been much ado about nothing. But I guess we will see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-D1 View Post
        My theory is that the Big 10 adds Notre Dame only so they have 12 teams and everything else stays the same; Big 12 stays intact; Pac-10 stays the same, etc, and all of this talk will have been much ado about nothing. But I guess we will see what happens.
        I agree. Or somehow a big east team jumps ship. Maybe could see Mizzu leave but I see no reason for half the big 12 to leave for the pac 10. If anything half the pac 10 should be trying to get into a better confrence and the other half try for the wac and others. The big 10 needs another team so they can have division which would lead to a football confrence championship game. I think its fairly competive across the major confrences, Just maybe the TV revenue is a little favored to some and not others.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Below is a good article regarding the musical chairs game being played by the BcS teams:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...xpansion060610
          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
            Below is a good article regarding the musical chairs game being played by the BcS teams:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/footbal...xpansion060610
            Rep pts for the find. Good article that makes you think. I have always said that playoffs would blow away the Bowl system money, glad to know that someone with actual knowledge and study agrees.

"Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany admitted to Congress a 16-team playoff could gross four times what the current Bowl Championship Series does – in other words about $900 million annually.

He opposed it anyway. Beebe [Big 12 Commish] and the others never seemed to ask why. They’re finding out now."

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Omaha World Herald article says the Huskers may announce decision on Friday

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Another OWH article on the off-field benefits for Nebraska in making the move.

And an update article with links to other sources that say it is a done deal.

Comment

It's amazing that Nebraska's departure to the Big Ten will be the death knell of the Big 12 as the Texas public trio, the Oklahoma duo, and Colorado (who can thank Denver's population) get ready to join the Pac-10 in what appears to be a dual conference setup with the original Pac-8 in one division and the newbies in the other. A Pac-16 may not even have a title game.

After Nebraska, the Big Ten will likely continue to add schools to get to 16 with Notre Dame getting the next ultimatum. The Irish will likely capitulate because 1) the Big Ten door could very well be closed for 100 years as only one school (U of Chicago) has ever left the Big Ten for good and 2) the ACC and SEC will likely raid the Big East in order to shore up their conferences.

These are very interesting times, especially if Osbourne does cross the Rubicon this week.

Comment

The talk radio down here in Kansas City is eerily reminiscent of the days before SDSU joined NDSU and UNC in moving to D-I.

Nobody knows what the future will look like . . . and everybody's hoping for the best and fearing the worst.

Right now it looks like Iowa State, Kansas, K-State, Colorado, and (quite likely) Missouri will be the ones without chairs when the music ends in this round.

One guess is Iowa State, K-State, and Colorado may wind up in the Mountain West when the dust clears.

There's an interesting argument that Kansas might wind up in the ACC (with Duke and Carolina . . . how's that for a top-heavy basketball conference?). It's possible that Missouri might wind up there, too, riding Kansas' coattails, although I think Mizzou would far prefer to wind up in the SEC if they don't get a Big Ten invite, the rumor of which started all of this madness.

The possibilities are dizzying . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
                      if Osbourne does cross the Rubicon this week.
                      Rep points for the metaphor.

Odd that Nebraska might be the first pebble in this avalanche.

I fully expected the Big East as we know it to disappear, but I never expected the Big Twelve to go. Who knew the Pac-10 wanted to get this big this quick? I thought they'd be content to cherrypick a few programs here and there.

Something definitely happened at Nebraska. Colorado regents flatly denied receiving an invite from the Pac Ten, and Osborne, at this point in time, probably wouldn't even deny running over his mother.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        The talk radio down here in Kansas City is eerily reminiscent of the days before SDSU joined NDSU and UNC in moving to D-I.
                        Of course, the ironic part is that the Big Twelve is as good as the Big Ten in basketball--if not better, and far superior to the Pac Ten in basketball and football, and the Big Ten in football.

It'd be like NDSU & SDSU bolting for the Northern Sun.

Comment

Growing up in Nebraska and being an avid Husker fan for the majority of my life, I am very sad that these recent events are taking place. I for one, do not want Nebraska to be the school that sends the entire NCAA conference lineups into limbo.

With that being said, if Nebraska goes to the Big Ten, it's because it is the best move for THEM. There is a lot of talk swirling here in Omaha about why certain decisions are being made, and frankly they do make a lot of sense. Some rationale as to why this is the best decision for Nebraska:

1. The Big XII conference is not stable (even if Nebraska stays), because Colorado and Missouri already have their bags packed waiting for the PAC-10 and Big 10 to call. If either of the scenarios came to fruition, and/or the Pac-10 really does want 16 teams - you have to imagine that Texas would listen. So given these very likely scenarios, the Big XII already has a great deal of shakiness. By going to the Big 10, Nebraska definitely would establish long-term stability.

2. Obviously the money (sadly too)

3. The Big 10 would help raise Nebraska's academic resume

4. There is some animosity here that 9/12 Big XII schools voted to permanently place the Big XII football championship in Dallas, and the Big XII basketball tournament in Kansas city. (The southern schools and Kansas fans reap the benefits of this measure) btw...kansas voted yes for this one

Even with this reasoning, however, I remain opposed to the move to the Big 10. To me, if the ncaa conference armageddon plays out like the experts are predicting, I think I will lose some interest in ncaa FBS football, since the gap between the big and small schools will widen.

In the advent of future fingerpointing and mudslinging, I believe this mess could have been avoided, had Notre Dame not drug their feet on joining the big 10 (which will eventually happen).

In any event, though, I remain optimistic that good things will happen for the Jacks, as the mid-major conferences do a bit of jockeying of their own to replace and add teams affected by any major shift. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the springboard to get us into the MVC basketball conference somehow.

Comment

Big 12 should raid the MWC

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                              Of course, the ironic part is that the Big Twelve is as good as the Big Ten in basketball--if not better, and far superior to the Pac Ten in basketball and football, and the Big Ten in football.

It'd be like NDSU & SDSU bolting for the Northern Sun.
                              Not even close. The Big Ten is on par or close with the Big 12 in both sports. Next year it will likely be the best bball conference with MSU, OSU and Purdue. The exposure is much better, it's peers academically will be better and the revenue side of it is something they cannot turn down.

Comment

Working...
                              X