Guess UND's new nickname....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess UND's new nickname....

1: Flickertails. It's original and seems to have some traction.

2: Flames. They already have a flame logo.

3: Explorers. Lewis & Clark.

4: Fighters. Stay w/ me.... It has part of their old "Fighting Sioux" name....they fight the cold....the fight the snow...they fight the floods....they have an Air Force base on the outskirts of town.

5: Reds. For the Red River.

Honorable Mention: Plainsmen, Polars, Pilots, Flyers, Roughriders (Roosevelt retired in ND), Farmers, Fighting Whities.

Top 5 that probably won't make it:

1: Indians. After Sitting Bull.

2: Accordians. After Lawrence Welk.

3: Lakers. Phil Jackson.

4: Zambonees. "Kid" Johnny Lang.

5: Big Dikes. For all the large Dikes located in Grand Forks to battle the flood waters.

HM: Fightin' Sue. Nazi's. Engelstads.
    Last edited by TeaJackrabbit; 04-09-2010, 01:21 AM.

Re: Guess UND's new nickname....

They could just go with "the Green" kind of like Syracuse with "the Orange" instead of "the Orangemen". BTW what even happened to the Orangemen? I guess I am naive about what group was considered the Oragemen to be offended by that type of name.

The Green would allow UND to keep everything pretty much the same minus the indian head logo.

I sure hope that UND does not go to the Flickertails. I used to think that was the butt of jokes but maybe they would consider it, I don't know the history very good. Looking at things positively this is a chance for UND to establish a new tradition so hopefully they will pick something kind of modern and don't blow this opportunity by picking a lame nickname that sounded like it was established in 1920.

I think UND is going to want to preserve their colors of Green and White but since NDSU already has green they could look at it as an opportunity to make their own statement with new colors. I seriously doubt UND goes away from Green.

Other ideas.

"the Frozen Tundra"

"Green Wave"

"Green Demons" I think that kind of has a nice ring to it and it would be mean and agressive

"Rolling Tumbeweeds" kind of a joke

"Formerly known as the Sioux" gosh would that piss some people off

"The ND's"

the "Tradition"

It's getting too late.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Looks like someone decided that they should actually make a decision..

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/157079/

Maybe they should go to the opposite end of the spectrum. Call themselves the "Fighting White Man."
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

In the interest of gender equity, you'd have to call the women's teams at UND the "Fightin' White Women."

This could actually increase attendance.

This thread is headed for smack, isn't it?
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

One suggestion on the UND board I actually kinda liked was the "UND Northern Pike."

Let's Go FISH!
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

How about the UND Canadiens.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
              I think UND is going to want to preserve their colors of Green and White but since NDSU already has green they could look at it as an opportunity to make their own statement with new colors. I seriously doubt UND goes away from Green.

The school colors are actually green and pink! However in the 20's they adopted green and white for their athletic teams. You can still buy alot of pink stuff in their bookstore.

UND Website:
              "4. What are UND's colors?
              In April 1889, the student body met and chose as school colors the pink and green of the prairie rose, "suggestive of our green prairies and rosy prospects." In the 1920s green and white were adopted as colors for UND athletic teams while pink and green continued to be used on the academic hoods of the University."

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                In the interest of gender equity, you'd have to call the women's teams at UND the "Fightin' White Women."

This could actually increase attendance.

This thread is headed for smack, isn't it?
                Jerry Springer could do the play by play.

Comment

One of Coyote Fan's suggestions was "The NDs". I've heard others say, and I think it has real merit (I'm being serious here), that the school should just use the name "North Dakota". That's it. Have some sort of green non-descript fuzzy mascot that little kids like and continue using the ND logos (a little like Notre Dame's).

Coyote Fan also inquired about the Orangemen of Syracuse. Students of Irish history know that "Orangemen" is not popular with those of the Irish-Catholic persuasion. Those of Irish-Protestant persuasion will toast King William of Orange but the Catholics are likely to throw rocks. He was the King of England and Ireland (and other places too) in 1650 to about 1705. Fought all the time with the Catholic King of France, King Louis XIV (furniture guy?). It's often noted he ruled with his wife, Mary...I wonder if the College of William and Mary takes its name from the rulers.

(Although it may not sound interesting, one of the top history classes I attended at SDSU studied the historical English monarchy...Prof. Michael Funchion taught the class and did a great job. Intrigue all over the place.)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    One of Coyote Fan's suggestions was "The NDs". I've heard others say, and I think it has real merit (I'm being serious here), that the school should just use the name "North Dakota". That's it. Have some sort of green non-descript fuzzy mascot that little kids like and continue using the ND logos (a little like Notre Dame's).

Coyote Fan also inquired about the Orangemen of Syracuse. Students of Irish history know that "Orangemen" is not popular with those of the Irish-Catholic persuasion. Those of Irish-Protestant persuasion will toast King William of Orange but the Catholics are likely to throw rocks. He was the King of England and Ireland (and other places too) in 1650 to about 1705. Fought all the time with the Catholic King of France, King Louis XIV (furniture guy?). It's often noted he ruled with his wife, Mary...I wonder if the College of William and Mary takes its name from the rulers.

(Although it may not sound interesting, one of the top history classes I attended at SDSU studied the historical English monarchy...Prof. Michael Funchion taught the class and did a great job. Intrigue all over the place.)
                    I had also heard that many wanted it changed due to the use of "men" at the end of the name. Some felt that it was sexist. Much like there are groups against the use of "freshman" in college venacular. I was hoping that when Syracuse changed to the "Syracuse Orange" that they would adopt a giant carton of juice as their mascot. But alas, they didn't.

Filbert - Could we steal the idea that a intramural team in Colorado and just call them the "UND Fightin' Whities?" No smack intended, just humor.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I honestly think they should consider the nickname "Huskarls" (also spelled Huscarls) (pronounced House-carl), as it would honor the regions Scandinavian history, but would also be unique (unlike, say, the Vikings).

What is a Huskarl? Glad you asked! In short, they were Scandanavian Body Guards for Kings and Lords.

Here is a picture of some figurines of what Huskarls looked like:
                      Last edited by Kemo; 04-09-2010, 12:09 PM.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

I think it should be the Cannibals. I just think that would be a really cool nickname for a school. You could then have a BBQ joint called "The Long Pig".

I do hope they don't pick something generic, something that a lot of other schools have. Flickertails would at least be unique.

I could really respect a team that had the balls to wear pink uniforms. A great motivator "Yeah, it's pink. Got a problem with that?"

Comment

UND Hockey.

UND Puckers.

UND Buffalo (yeah, I just did that)
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

If they can get the rights to it... The UND Fighting Whiteys

"Everythangs gonna be all-white!"
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              One suggestion on the UND board I actually kinda liked was the "UND Northern Pike."

Let's Go FISH!
                              I like that one. Fits with their colors, part of the past time up there, and that cheer has a good ring to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X