Iowa BB Coach Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iowa BB Coach Fired

I'm going to just go ahead and say it: do we really want a player like Larson?

No doubt, he has the physical tools to be a good/great college basketball player, and is highly touted by the experts who make a living in college basketball circles.

However, recent character flaws coming to light and the fact that no team he has been on has ever been to a state tournament (much less state championship) despite an abundance of talent might suggest that he wouldn't quite fit in with what we are trying to build at State. On top of all that, his shooting is pretty suspect IMO, which is something we need as a mid major.

With that all being said, I will gladly defer to the judgment of the coaching staff should the option arise.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Well, I guess I have been wrong before . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I'm going to just go ahead and say it: do we really want a player like Larson?

No doubt, he has the physical tools to be a good/great college basketball player, and is highly touted by the experts who make a living in college basketball circles.

However, recent character flaws coming to light and the fact that no team he has been on has ever been to a state tournament (much less state championship) despite an abundance of talent might suggest that he wouldn't quite fit in with what we are trying to build at State. On top of all that, his shooting is pretty suspect IMO, which is something we need as a mid major.

With that all being said, I will gladly defer to the judgment of the coaching staff should the option arise.
        I'm more curious to see what shakes out than I am intrigued that he might become a Jackrabbit. I think his high school accomplishments have been less impressive than others but he clearly has the talent and skills to be a very good basketball player. I am not convinced he has Big 10 talent but I'm not a college basketball coach. When speaking to his character, I just don't know enough about the young man to offer anything productive.

All these young men are at critical times in their lives. They need to make the right choice for them. I hope Cody has the support necessary to allow him to make a decision that he thinks is in his best interest.
        Last edited by jackmd; 03-16-2010, 01:53 PM.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I'm more curious to see what shakes out than I am intrigued that he might become a Jackrabbit. I think his high school accomplishments have been less impressive than others but he clearly has the talent and skills to be a very good basketball player. I am not convinced he has Big 10 talent but I'm not a college basketball coach. When speaking to his character, I just don't know enough about the young man to over anything productive.

All these young men are at critical times in their lives. They need to make the right choice for them. I hope Cody has the support necessary to allow him to make a decision that he thinks is in his best interest.
          Same here very curious and very curious to see how the Tetzlaff situation shakes out.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I'm more curious to see what shakes out than I am intrigued that he might become a Jackrabbit. I think his high school accomplishments have been less impressive than others but he clearly has the talent and skills to be a very good basketball player. I am not convinced he has Big 10 talent but I'm not a college basketball coach. When speaking to his character, I just don't know enough about the young man to over anything productive.

Pretty much my feelings exactly.

Physically, I don't doubt he could play in the Big 10. I'm not sold on his basketball skills. As you say, that's a call for a college coach to make. You can't teach height, and you can't really teach the physical talent a player like Larson has.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              ...I had course in commerial law and studied the review portion several times for the CPA exam, but I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on television, but got enough contract questions on the exam to know this much. I dont think the NCAA can pass exceptions clauses either that would be contrary to common law.
              I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....

Comment

Michigan State's Tom Izzo on the Licklitter firing is linked below.

I like Tom Izzo. (Filbert hates IPFW.)

LINK

Comment

Just to clarify, there are no "character" issues with Larson. He did a really stupid thing that got him suspended, but, imo, it does not raise a red flag of future problems.

As to his talent, the kid can play. Period. Folks have had several chances to second guess kids like Mike Miller, Joe Krabbenhoft, Zach Finley, Adam Templeton, Matt Martin, and Colton Iverson. Not one of them could not play at the level they chose. College coaches seem to know what they are doing.

I have no idea where Larson will end up. Like JackMD, I hope he makes a wise decision that is best for his future, just like most high school seniors are doing this time of year.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                    Michigan State's Tom Izzo on the Licklitter firing is linked below.

I like Tom Izzo. (Filbert hates IPFW.)

LINK
                    You have to love Tom Izzo. Thanks for posting this article JackJD

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                      Just to clarify, there are no "character" issues with Larson. He did a really stupid thing that got him suspended, but, imo, it does not raise a red flag of future problems.
                      I'm not doubting what MikeHenriksen says. I'm not saying anything about Larson either. But the question needs to be asked...In general, isn't doing a really stupid thing that got him suspended show something about a person's character?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                        I'm not doubting what MikeHenriksen says. I'm not saying anything about Larson either. But the question needs to be asked...In general, isn't doing a really stupid thing that got him suspended show something about a person's character?

i remember a guy named riley reiff from parkston that did something stupid when he first got down to iowa. i think he turned out ok. so someone makes a mistake and you throw them in the toilet without a 2nd chance?

Comment

This is not the first time Larson's been suspended either...
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

That is why I put the "imo" in there. I know there are folks that think like JJ, and that is very understandable. And for certain acts, I would agree with you!

I think each case needs to be looked at individually. As for his earlier suspension, there is no pattern here, other than the end result. And, again, I know for some folks the end result is enough, and if that is where you stand on the issue, so be it.

I just think there are high crimes and misdemeanors (in a general sense) and that sins of ommision are different than sins of commision. I know there are folks that think a crime is a crime and a sin is a sin. I am willing to give most 18 year olds the benefit of the doubt. Some folks won't. In the words of South Dakota native Gary Muledeer..."it's like Grandpa always said. If everybody thought the same way they'd all be sleeping with Grandma!".

Comment

Originally posted by MikeHenriksen View Post
                              As for his earlier suspension, there is no pattern here, other than the end result.
                              I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, b/c I greatly respect your opinion....but I'd say Larson has shown a pattern for getting suspended, hasn't he?
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express....
                                Nothing like a real lawyer to set you straight.

Comment

Working...
                                X