Iowa BB Coach Fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa BB Coach Fired

Todd Lickliter, Head Basketball Coach at Iowa was fired today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4997052

Re: Iowa BB Coach Fired

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Must have been reading the story at the same time.
    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

I heard an interview with him on Saturday. One of his quotes was something like "I have to take care of myself, they'll do what they think is best for Iowa" I knew right then and there he had been told he wasn't coming back.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I wonder how this will affect Larson. I don't know anything about the suspension, but that with a new coach coming in may mean he will be heading somewhere else. Again I have no info, just wondering.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
          I wonder how this will affect Larson. I don't know anything about the suspension, but that with a new coach coming in may mean he will be heading somewhere else. Again I have no info, just wondering.
          No new info here either, and I'm sure nobody knows what will happen to current or future Iowa players until a new coach is named, but there are a number of area players that are connected to the Iowa progaram in one way or another:

Cody Larson - Sioux Falls Roosevelt - 2010 recruit
          Zach McCabe - Sioux City Heelan 6'7" senior star - 2010 recruit
          Brennan Cougill - 6'9", 255lbs. Iowa freshman (and former SC Heelan star)

Any of those three would look fabulous in yellow and blue. Maybe Clint Sargent can convince a couple of his old schoolmates to join him for his senior year NCAA run.

Either way, it would be nice to get a pipeline going from SC Heelan High School to SDSU...that place is an athletic factory.
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Here is story from Iowa City Press Gazette from day before it was announced with comments from all four of their recruits.

Some of Larson's comments:

Cody Larson, a 6-9 forward from Sioux Falls, S.D., was the first member of the recruiting class to pick Iowa, having done so at the beginning of his junior year in September 2008.

"He was the reason I went there," Larson said of Lickliter. "I would love to play for him. I've just got to see what happens here."

Larson also seems committed to playing for Iowa. But he wants to see what will happen to Lickliter, who could receive a $2.4 million buyout if the remaining four years on his contract are terminated without cause.

"I definitely want to be a Hawkeye," Larson said. "And if it's in my best interest to be a Hawkeye than I'm definitely going to be a Hawkeye.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

And here is the story after the announcement.

Cody Larson was so convinced that he wanted to play basketball for Todd Lickliter at Iowa that he committed early in his junior year of high school.

In fact, Larson was the first player in what now is a four-player recruiting class to pick Iowa.

But with Lickliter being fired Monday, Larson now isn't sure what he will do.

"I don't really have an answer right now," said Larson, a 6-foot-9 forward from Sioux Falls, S.D. "I just kind of want to take it step by step, day by day and see how it all plays out.

"But in the end, I'm going to make the right decision for me. I'll talk to my family and make sure that it's the right decision whatever I do."

Larson was among four high school seniors who signed national letters of intent with Iowa in November. The others were 6-1 guard Ben Brust, who is from the Chicago suburb of Mundelein, Ill., 6-6 Zach McCabe from Sioux City Bishop Heelan and 6-5 guard Devyn Marble, who is the son of Iowa's all-time leading scorer, Roy Marble.

"It was disappointing to me," Larson said. "I really wanted to play for coach Lickliter. I committed to Iowa because of him, and I kind of fell in love with the whole program through the course of my recruitment."

Comment

I don't believe we have any scholarships if there is a change of heart by McCabe or Larson. They would also have to sit out a year so maybe something could be worked out.

Comment

Are you sure they would have to sit out a year? They haven't enrolled in any school yet which is one difference from Jill Young. I would assume that they would be released from their commitments by the University, but you never know. I can't remember how these things work.

Comment

I'm not sure either, but I'm sure someone on here knows. I thought if you sign a letter of committment which they have both done then if you back out you would have to sit out.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I'm not sure either, but I'm sure someone on here knows. I thought if you sign a letter of committment which they have both done then if you back out you would have to sit out.
                      I believe if the Coach leaves/gets fired (ala John Calipari at Memphis), the student athlete has a choice to go somewhere else without having to sit out a year.

Comment

The school and the new coach can hold you to the letter of intent. Most times, however, the school would release them, making them free to sign somewhere else. However, if the school holds you to the letter, you would have to sit out a year if you choose not to go to that school.

Just to clarify, that is NOT the case when a coach leaves. You must sit out a year at that time if you decide to transfer.

Remember, the NCAA still believes you pick a school based on the school, not the coach. The players are under a stiffer penalty when a coach leaves than the coach!

Comment

I believe that an incoming freshman is allowed to back out of his/her letter-of-intent and immediately sign elsewhere if a coaching change occurs at the college after he/she signed the LOI.

Players already at the institution need to get releases from their current institution.

This may be where people are getting a bit confused.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I believe that an incoming freshman is allowed to back out of his/her letter-of-intent and immediately sign elsewhere if a coaching change occurs at the college after he/she signed the LOI.

Players already at the institution need to get releases from their current institution.

Nope. You sign a NLI you are committed to that school for 1 year. You must get a release from the school (not the coach) or sit out a year. Doesn't matter if you ever attended the university.

NLI's are a VOLUNTARY contract between the school and the athlete. It has nothing to do with the coach. Student is guaranteed a scholarship and the school is guaranteed an athlete regardless of what happens in the interim. So, if Cody Larsen has signed a NLI, he is committed to IOWA (not Coach Lick) for a 1 year minimum.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I dont think so, as the LOI is a binding contract and whether you are an incoming freshman or a senior, the binding applies to every signer. If an incoming freshman is released, its an institution decision. I agree with Mike H. The new coach can hold them to their signed contract. The law is on the side of non-breaching party. I had course in commerial law and studied the review portion several times for the CPA exam, but I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on television, but got enough contract questions on the exam to know this much. I dont think the NCAA can pass exceptions clauses either that would be contrary to common law.

Comment

Working...
                              X