Congrats to USD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congrats to USD

I know how much Rabbit fans dislike the Coyotes, but Congrats to them for making the CIT Tourney. They will play Creighton in the first round.

I don't know about anybody else, but I find it a little embarrassing that the Yotes beat us to playing in a nation tourney(NCAA, NIT, or CIT).

I realize that the only reason they are in is because they won their pretend conference, but still, SDSU wouldn't have won that conference just a couple years into the transition. Hell, they might not have won that conference this year.

So, congrats to the Yotes. In the end, they are a South Dakota team with some South Dakota kids so good for them and good luck.

I have a feeling some posters won't be as congratulatory as I am. I came to SDSU in 2002 and really didn't get a chance to take part in the USD rivalry. (if that explains anything)

Also, I noticed that Sam Willard's Pacific team will be playing the CIT as well. It's a shame that IUPUI didn't get an NIT or CIT invite.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ATES/100314013

Re: Congrats to USD

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
    It's a shame that IUPUI didn't get an NIT or CIT invite.

...I believe they're headed to the CBI
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

CBI is a step or two above CIT. I think ORU was hopeing for the CIT

Comment

IUPUI laughs at the CIT....They are in the CBI in a field that contains the pride of Doland SD...Timmy Miles!!!

* Indiana State @ Saint Louis - March 16
        * Green Bay @ Akron - March 17
        * VCU @ George Washington - March 16
        * Charleston @ Eastern Kentucky - March 17
        * Boston University @ Oregon State - March 17
        * Colorado State @ Morehead State - March 17
        * IUPUI @ Hofstra - March 17
        * Duquesne @ Princeton - March 17

http://www.collegesports-fans.com/nc...ournament.html

Pardon my laughter for the CIT bringing in the conference champ of the Big RPI 300 Conference....imagine if the Yotes would have been upset in Orem.... Creighton vs Houston Baptist...UND...NJIT.... it would have been a blowout for the ages.

I do apologize for not being so complimentary, if this was the NIT or CBI I would have tipped my cap to the Yotes since it would have been earned.
        Last edited by FargoBison; 03-15-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

There is no doubt that the CIT is a very good accomplishment for USD at this point in transition. USD was not in a good conference according to the RPI rankings but on the other hand USD is now at 216 which isn't great but it is heads and shoulders better than the other Great West teams and better than about one-third of all NCAA D1 teams. USD played a difficult non conference schedule and lost their games badly against the major programs but played fairly well against other mid majors like Texas A&M Corpus Christie, Morehead State, Binghampton, Drake etc.

USD doesn't need to appologise for getting a bid as it was the CIT's choice to allow the Great West Champ an auto bid and USD took advantage of it. The CIT is a tourney that has much respect for mid major programs and I believe they don't allow sub .500 teams an at large bid. Eventhough the conference isn't NCAA eligible I think it's fair to say that any conference winner should have the opportunity to play in the post season regardless of the strength of the conference.
          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
            There is no doubt that the CIT is a very good accomplishment for USD at this point in transition. USD was not in a good conference according to the RPI rankings but on the other hand USD is now at 216 which isn't great but it is heads and shoulders better than the other Great West teams and better than about one-third of all NCAA D1 teams. USD played a difficult non conference schedule and lost their games badly against the major programs but played fairly well against other mid majors like Texas A&M Corpus Christie, Morehead State, Binghampton, Drake etc.

USD doesn't need to appologise for getting a bid as it was the CIT's choice to allow the Great West Champ an auto bid and USD took advantage of it. The CIT is a tourney that has much respect for mid major programs and I believe they don't allow sub .500 teams an at large bid. Eventhough the conference isn't NCAA eligible I think it's fair to say that any conference winner should have the opportunity to play in the post season regardless of the strength of the conference.
            Thank you for your well thought out explanation. I believe the YMCA has several tourneys this week as well.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
              I know how much Rabbit fans dislike the Coyotes, but Congrats to them for making the CIT Tourney. They will play Creighton in the first round.

I don't know about anybody else, but I find it a little embarrassing that the Yotes beat us to playing in a nation tourney(NCAA, NIT, or CIT).

I realize that the only reason they are in is because they won their pretend conference, but still, SDSU wouldn't have won that conference just a couple years into the transition. Hell, they might not have won that conference this year.

So, congrats to the Yotes. In the end, they are a South Dakota team with some South Dakota kids so good for them and good luck.

I have a feeling some posters won't be as congratulatory as I am. I came to SDSU in 2002 and really didn't get a chance to take part in the USD rivalry. (if that explains anything)

Also, I noticed that Sam Willard's Pacific team will be playing the CIT as well. It's a shame that IUPUI didn't get an NIT or CIT invite.

agree

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Seems like a nice reward for a good season to me. Should be fun for USD fans to measure themselves against a solid Valley program. Sure, their schedule may have been weak, but it's still an accomplishment to win 20 games and get any kind of postseason game.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I have never even heard of the CIT, or the CBI.

Not smack, just saying I didn't know there was such a thing.
                  "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

1) There's a selection show tonight, where the only school to ever make the NCAA basketball tournament in their first two years of eligibility will find out where they're headed. Yes, it's women's basketball, but unlike many other schools, SDSU supports women's basketball pretty well, and that support is being rewarded. So it is not technically accurate to say that USD made it to post-season play before SDSU. At SDSU, basketball is basketball.

2) Congratulations to the Coyotes. 20 wins is 20 wins, and post-season play is post-season play.

3) When USD joins the Summit, every non-conference win that USD gets is a good thing for the Summit League and for SDSU. This may be a hard pill for some of the more rabid USD-haters to swallow (and the reverse is of course also true, any SDSU OOC win will benefit USD and the League as well). Folks may as well get used to the thought process change necessary for survivial in D-I. That includes rooting hard for any conference mate when they go out of conference, regular season or post-season. Yes, even Oakland, or Oral Roberts. Or even IPFW (whom I, of course, hate .) Think of the USD-Creighton game as a good practice session.

Go Yotes!
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The CIT bid is a great thing for USD and I hope their fans are excited. The trip to Omaha is an easy one and I'd be there if I were a coyote fan. Instead, I'll be watching the NCAA tournament selection show and figuring out a way to get to SDSU's first (and hopefully) 2nd round games next weekend.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Congrats to USD, a nice reward for a nice season. All a team can do is play the games on the schedule, and USD won most of theirs including the Great West tournament. This is probably well deserved. Are these games on TV anywhere?
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Here is the complete first round schedule.

FIRST ROUND
                          Tuesday March 16
                          Fairfield (22-10) @ George Mason (17-14)
                          South Dakota (22-9) @ Creighton (16-15)

Wednesday March 17
                          Harvard (21-7) @ Appalachian State (22-10)
                          Western Carolina (22-11) @ Marshall (23-9)
                          Middle Tennessee State (19-13) @ Missouri State (20-12)
                          Portland (21-10) @ Northern Colorado (24-7)
                          Pacific (20-11) @ Loyola Marymount (18-14)

Thursday March 18
                          Southern Mississippi (20-13) @ Louisiana Tech (23-10)

The tournament will begin with first round games on March 16, 2010 and conclude with the championship game on March 30. In much the same fashion as the old NIT, future opponents will be determined at the conclusion of each round throughout the tournament. All games are played at campus sites.
                          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            1) There's a selection show tonight, where the only school to ever make the NCAA basketball tournament in their first two years of eligibility will find out where they're headed. Yes, it's women's basketball, but unlike many other schools, SDSU supports women's basketball pretty well, and that support is being rewarded. So it is not technically accurate to say that USD made it to post-season play before SDSU. At SDSU, basketball is basketball.
                            I was hoping someone would point this out. When I read the message from the op I was a bit put off. Last I checked not only are the Women the first in the history of the NCAA tournament to make it to the NCAA in their first two years of eligiblity they are also the first Dakota school to play in and host a game in a D1 basketball tournament (WNIT).

Go Jacks!!!

Comment

at the half, creighton leading usd 50-36

Comment

Working...
                              X