Field of 96 for NCAA Basketball a "done deal"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Field of 96 for NCAA Basketball a "done deal"

The NCAA has D-I Football playoffs - we played in em. They don't have FBS playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
      The NCAA has D-I Football playoffs - we played in em. They don't have FBS playoffs.
      Thanks for clearing that up. Cause I'm sure everyone was confused as by what I meant.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Back in 1985 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams everyone was up in arms too. How did that turn out for us...just fine!

While I don't think changing a great thing is the answer all of us on this board should be doing backflips about this possibility. It gives smaller schools like us a better chance of making the tournament. Obviously this is largely dependent by where these extra 31 spots are going to go and we have yet to hear anything about that. But regardless of where the extra spots go this gives teams like SDSU a better chance of making the tourney.

I really hope they decide to grant the winner of the regular season and conference tournament an auto-bid. That would make the regular season in any conference very, very, very exciting. It would also add to the reputation of the mid-major conferences. I would really think recruits would find it appealing if both reg. and conf. tourney winners get in.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Back in 1985 when the tournament expanded to 64 teams everyone was up in arms too. How did that turn out for us...just fine!

While I don't think changing a great thing is the answer all of us on this board should be doing backflips about this possibility. It gives smaller schools like us a better chance of making the tournament. Obviously this is largely dependent by where these extra 31 spots are going to go and we have yet to hear anything about that. But regardless of where the extra spots go this gives teams like SDSU a better chance of making the tourney.

I really hope they decide to grant the winner of the regular season and conference tournament an auto-bid. That would make the regular season in any conference very, very, very exciting. It would also add to the reputation of the mid-major conferences. I would really think recruits would find it appealing if both reg. and conf. tourney winners get in.
          I have heard a lot of talk about where the extra teams are coming from and most of that talk is that they will be from the BCS conferences and the top "mid major" conferences. I have not heard much support for regular season and conference tourney champs from the mid to lower tier conferences. I agree, no official word but the coaches and conference chair people I've heard interviewed all want more major conference teams to have a chance. Of course, most of those interviewed were from the major conferences.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think there is absolutely no chance the Power 6 will agree to any terms that would guarantee the possibility of two teams for a conference like the Summit League getting in.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              Isn't that pretty good grounds for a Title IX suit? Especially for a non profit org like the NCAA? Of course I'm not an attorney, just common sense interpretation of what I (think) I understand about the law.
              The NCAA could ask the same amount for TV rights for the women's tourney, but no one is going to pay it. They can't control how much TV stations are willing to spend. Who knows, maybe in the future women's college BB will catch more viewership and warrant more money from broadcasting the games. Title IX can't control incoming money from TV stations.

As for the field of 96, just not for it.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                The NCAA could ask the same amount for TV rights for the women's tourney, but no one is going to pay it. They can't control how much TV stations are willing to spend. Who knows, maybe in the future women's college BB will catch more viewership and warrant more money from broadcasting the games. Title IX can't control incoming money from TV stations.

As for the field of 96, just not for it.
                Title IX requires equality of access, not equality of publicity. It could be argued that a vast difference in championship fields when there is not a correspondingly great difference in participation violates Title IX.

I'm not saying it's a good argument, but it's an argument that will be made, almost certainly.

Another problem with the field of 96, is allocation of winner's shares. By salting the field with an even higher percentage of BCS schools, the likelihood of the BCS conferences and schools taking home an even higher percentage of the winner's share increases.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...12/1002/sports

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5100441

Looks like future games might be on TBS/TNT also.
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Looks like they are going to expand to 68 teams.

Here is the link to ESPN report.

Expanding to 68 and getting more revenue actually helps out the Summit League. It should mean more money for everyone in the tourney and that includes the Summit League.

Not a good thing for UND however, they probably have to pay more to the Summit League to get in now that there is more money to share.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        Looks like they are going to expand to 68 teams.

Here is the link to ESPN report.

Expanding to 68 and getting more revenue actually helps out the Summit League. It should mean more money for everyone in the tourney and that includes the Summit League.

Not a good thing for UND however, they probably have to pay more to the Summit League to get in now that there is more money to share.
                        Thanks for posting this NorCalJack. 96 teams was unnecessary in my opinion.

68 teams won't be much of a difference. Will this mean the four #1's get a bye?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post

Most likely it will mean 4 play-in games to determine the 16 seeds. It will both help and hurt the low majors more than anything. More than likely, most or all of the eight play-in teams will be lows. Not only will half be knocked out, but the remaining half will face the 1 seeds. On the other hand, winners of the play-in games will earn a second revenue share for their conference by winning a relatively easy game(effectively a 16 vs. 17 matchup).

Comment

They still want to go to 96 teams. And it will still most likely happen.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

As I understand it the #1's will not get a bye. There will be four playin games. The effect of this in my opinion will be to:

1. Add 3 more at large teams from the power conferences, who more then likely will get seeds above the mid majors.
                              2. Relegate 3 more mid majors to the playins, where they will end up playing other mid majors for the right to garner the 4 #16 seeds.

I dont see this as a plus for the smaller schools.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                                They still want to go to 96 teams. And it will still most likely happen.
                                I think its doubtful now at least under the new contract which delineates specifically which network broadcasts which games. To add more teams would require amending the contract which they just entered into. Not likely, for the next few years at least.

Comment

Working...
                                X