Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Field of 96 for NCAA Basketball a "done deal"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...ment-expansion

like it or not, it looks like expansion is close to happening.

Comment

I don't care for it. The NCAA lists missed class time as a reason why it doesn't want a national championship playoff in football. More missed class is almost a certainty with expansion. With this plan a team- say a #9 seed that goes to the final 4- starts play on a Thursday and Saturday of the first weekend, then Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday again. Then they travel to the final 4 location on Thursday of the following week. How many days are those guys going to be in class? Even the top seeds are more than likely going to be at the site to see the first round games and scout their opponent.
      Another reason I am against it is more games means a greater cost to whichever network buys the rights. More cost = more commercials. I LOVE basketball but find it painful to watch some of the tournament games with the increased length of timeouts and that, basically, every timeout takes us to a commercial. I almost laugh out loud when announcers talk about players getting tired.

Comment

Originally posted by trueblue View Post
        I don't care for it. The NCAA lists missed class time as a reason why it doesn't want a national championship playoff in football. More missed class is almost a certainty with expansion. With this plan a team- say a #9 seed that goes to the final 4- starts play on a Thursday and Saturday of the first weekend, then Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday again. Then they travel to the final 4 location on Thursday of the following week. How many days are those guys going to be in class? Even the top seeds are more than likely going to be at the site to see the first round games and scout their opponent.
        Another reason I am against it is more games means a greater cost to whichever network buys the rights. More cost = more commercials. I LOVE basketball but find it painful to watch some of the tournament games with the increased length of timeouts and that, basically, every timeout takes us to a commercial. I almost laugh out loud when announcers talk about players getting tired.
        While I'm not crazy about a 96 team tournament, I don't understand your logic.

Kids already miss a ton of school. A little bit more isn't going to make that big of a difference.

As far as the cost goes, yes it will cost more, but there will be a whole bunch of other games to recoup that cost.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

My contrarian streak tells me that if so many talking-head media types like sports radio talk show hosts are dead-set against it, then there must be something fundamentally good about the proposal. (If nothing else, it shakes up the talking-head media types, which I almost always find highly entertaining.)

Most entertaining have been the bleats from some of the talk-show hosts that 96 teams would "make the brackets too big to fill out on one piece of paper." No, really, that's been the entire substance of over a half-hour of radio talk show blather I've heard recently about this. I thought about calling in and saying "Dude, have you heard that these new-fangled computer thingies can print brackets with smaller font sizes?"

But like I said, I've got a contrarian streak about five miles wide.

I can see ways to do this that would be a pretty good result, especially for low-mid-major conferences like the Summit (mainly, having both the regular-season and tournament champions enter the tournament).

I can also see ways to do this that would be an unmitigated disaster--mainly having a lot of .500 major conference teams getting in over pretty good #2 teams from mid-majors.

I'd like to see them at least require a .500 conference record for eligibility as an at-large team, and ideally, their at-large selection process would start with taking regular-season champions as at-large teams if they lose in their conference tournaments. If they do those two things, this could wind up being a reasonably good thing.

(Of course, I'd also give the first-round byes to the teams that won their conference championship tournaments, just to really, really shake things up. Do all three of my things and you winnow out all of the sub-.500 major conference teams, you reward regular-season success, and you also reward winning the conference tournaments.)
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

My question is, what is going to happen on the women's side?

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
              My question is, what is going to happen on the women's side?
              Nothing, probably. Unless someone starts a Title IX suit.

The men's tournament makes money. The women's tournament costs money. That should give you a pretty good idea how the NCAA will treat each.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                Nothing, probably. Unless someone starts a Title IX suit.

The men's tournament makes money. The women's tournament costs money. That should give you a pretty good idea how the NCAA will treat each.
                Isn't that pretty good grounds for a Title IX suit? Especially for a non profit org like the NCAA? Of course I'm not an attorney, just common sense interpretation of what I (think) I understand about the law.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I wonder if they're just going to add in the teams that would normally go to the NIT and then fold the NIT.

Comment

Originally posted by pepbandalum View Post
                    I wonder if they're just going to add in the teams that would normally go to the NIT and then fold the NIT.
                    I think that's exactly the plan.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

if you cant win 50% of your conference games then you shouldnt get an at large. you need to win your conf tourney. thirty nine teams finished 50% or better in the 6 major conferences. if you include the wac, mt west,conf usa and A10, then you have 60 total. that leaves 36 spots for the little guys. 20 reg season conf champs and then take the tourney champs, if its different from the reg season champ. if the reg season champ and tourney champ is the same, then that conf probably gets only one in. im sure they arent going to give the little guys 36 spots but id rather see some good mid majors in than a team that went 5-11 in their conference like the tar heels did.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        if you cant win 50% of your conference games then you shouldnt get an at large. you need to win your conf tourney. thirty nine teams finished 50% or better in the 6 major conferences. if you include the wac, mt west,conf usa and A10, then you have 60 total. that leaves 36 spots for the little guys. 20 reg season conf champs and then take the tourney champs, if its different from the reg season champ. if the reg season champ and tourney champ is the same, then that conf probably gets only one in. im sure they arent going to give the little guys 36 spots but id rather see some good mid majors in than a team that went 5-11 in their conference like the tar heels did.
                        If my math is right, there were 6 reg. season conference champs that didn't win their conference tournament and were left out of the field of 65 this year.

Comment

Stupidity. I hate this.

The NCAA is run by a bunch of morons.
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                            Stupidity. I hate this.

no argument from me. we dont have to like it but i think we'll all still watch it.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                              Stupidity. I hate this.

Not sure that I'd call them morons..."money grubbing whore's" is probably more accurate IMO when it comes to this decision.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                                Not sure that I'd call them morons..."money grubbing whore's" is probably more accurate IMO when it comes to this decision.

Go Jacks!!
                                With this and the lack of a Division 1 football playoff, I think both descriptions are accurate.
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X