X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baylor's Griner Punches Tech player

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    Just playing Devil's Advocate for a second here:

This happens in a men's game a lot of people in the know(ESPN) think he gets one game.

So are we looking for a stiffer punishment because this is women's basketball??

Go Jacks!!
    This happens in a mens game and it leads SportsCenter every night. Right now Gonzaga is #14 in the men's poll (ESPN). Can you imagine how much coverage a punch like that would get if a Gonzaga player did it? I watched ESPN coverage and there were as many people saying the should sit for the year as saying one game.

This is a horrible decision.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Not surprised at this decision when Mulkey has something to do with it. In my opinion, this is a laughable punishment for her actions.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        I for one, am not surprised at all by the discipline Mulkey (or 90% of the other coaches would have) handed her.

Winning is above all else. Especially come tournament time.

What a joke.
        At that level, though, it is all about winning. I'm not saying I agree with the punishment but I understand where the coach is coming from. If you aren't winning they will find someone else that will. It's about job security, and I can't say I blame the coach.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Seems this isn't the first time Griners had a violent reaction from another player, she KO'd a girl during a AAU game.Now here's Mulkeys comment....
          "I don't believe this incident should define Brittney Griner - either as a person or as a player," she added. "Anyone who has been around her knows that she's a great kid. Her actions last night were very uncharacteristic of her. Unfortunately, she let her emotions get the best of her, and that can't happen. Brittney is a special young lady, she is great for our game, and I believe she will learn from this mistake and will become a better person moving forward."

Link: http://womenshoops.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
            At that level, though, it is all about winning. I'm not saying I agree with the punishment but I understand where the coach is coming from. If you aren't winning they will find someone else that will. It's about job security, and I can't say I blame the coach.
            Is she a bad free throw shooter? Maybe a compromise could be subbing another free throw shooter for her whenever she's fouled. She could take her suspension over as many games as the coach would deem it necessary to "punish" her.

Comment

RO is on the right track. Mulkey has never been about sportsmanship and the players she recruits know that. I spoke at length with several staff members from Texas Tech while we were in Lubbock last year. This was before we played Baylor and all got to see her in action. What they described was accurate, with Mulkey its just win baby.

If this young woman shows true remorse and demonstrates a commitment to improving her behavior she deserves a second chance in the right environment. I'm not confident Mulkey can provide the direction this young lady really needs. Fortunately, no one is asking my opinion, I'm just giving it.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

On the video chat with TV and Stu, ORU's Finkbeiner (sp?) stated he was very disappointed with that discipline and that he thought a player in the Summit League would be looking at having to sit out a full year.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

The Oregon FB punch was a different situation, but they sent a clear message to a NCAA men's sport. Would think the same would happen in basketball.

Comment

Then don't suspend her at all, fight the NCAA sanctions to the nth degree, and have her in the starting lineup the very next game. Win-at-all-costs has its costs in the end. She's facing them here and now and, just like suspect substutions for a FT shooter at the end of a game, she's gaming the system to maximum competitive advantage, not to teach the player anything.

Comment

Skip Bayless made the most idiotic comment that I have ever heard him make on this. He thought the punishment was enough. That is fine, each person is entitled to their opinion. Then he gave his reason:

This is a new occurrence in women's basketball. The players haven't had it beat into their heads for years that this is unacceptable so giving anything more than this would be too much. The NCAA tourney is a huge experience for a young player and she should not have to miss out on that.

That is pretty much a direct quote. Besides the awful timing of the phrase "beat it into their heads," the idea that punishment should be light because they haven't had to do it before is ridiculous. A strong response to the first incident shows everyone that it will not be tolerated. I would imagine if you polled all the collegiate basketball players before this season you would get a 100% response rate of no to this question: If after your opponent has been called for a foul, is it ever OK to hit the person in the face with your fist?

The Texas Tech player got a broken nose, the Big 12 and Baylor Coach Mulkey got a black eye.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        Skip Bayless made the most idiotic comment that I have ever heard...
                        You aren't the first person to ever say that!

Comment

Expected nothing more or less from Mulkey. Surprised the Big 12 Conference or NCAA did not take a bigger stand and supspend her for the balance of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                            This is a new occurrence in women's basketball.
                            Sooooo, now that women have seen you can throw a punch, it's going to happen more? Nice call Skip. The reason it is a new occurrence is because most players know not to throw a punch. Stupid reasoning for Skip to argue the punishment was enough. If the entire suspension would have been up to Mulkey, it would have been only one game. But she had to make it look like she was making a stand and knew if she didn't suspend for an additional game, the NCAA or Big 12 would probably step up and do it for her. What I thought was totally classless was the reading of Griner's statement. You committed the crime, stand up in front of everyone and admit your wrong-doing. Did she even write the apology? Did she have someone from Baylor's staff call the T.T. player for her. When I see written statements read by someone else, I usually don't take the apology as sincere.
                            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

So, if all punishments are equal, regardless who's being punished,if someone irritates you enough,you simply sneak up on them from behind, & roundhouse sucker punch them in the face as hard as you can....& you get two game suspention out of it.Way to send a message NCAA!!!! (sarcastic)
                              My respect for this organization (NCAA) as a governing body has been greatly diminished,it isn't that respected to begin with,now less so.They sit by & do nothing, allowing the school & conference to self police this action to the tune of being rediculously too lenient,no wonder everyone sees them as gutless wonders who pander to the wishes of the big conferences and all the money they bring in.That's the way I see it.
                              Last edited by jackdaniel; 03-06-2010, 12:13 PM.

Comment

The typical PR work: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4969802

"She snapped, she's not proud of it. She's a kid who is a gentle giant. She's well-spoken, she's soft," Mulkey said before the Lady Bears (No. 15 ESPN/USA Today, No. 14 AP) practiced on Friday. "One incident is not going to identify or define Brittney Griner."

Sounds familiar.

Comment

Working...
                                X