Baylor's Griner Punches Tech player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Baylor's Griner Punches Tech player

I think the suspension should be for the season, but I also think, if they can, should have her sit on the bench. Every game they have left is going to be televised and she will know that the suspension will be brought up. She was part of the team and should see first hand how her actions impacted her teammates with them right beside her.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

1 game so far

Comment

ESPN panel tonight came down really hard on this player and pointed out that, at 6-8, wearing a size 17 men's shoe, this player had the physical mismatch to do far more serious damage then, thankfully was done, with a running punch like that. Sure, there was contact early, but nothing warranted a running punch. ESPN consensus leaned toward a year's suspension.

Comment

Glad someone brought up how much she talks/mannerism's like a man.I thought this too,wonder how many people think the same thing?....That aside, I think that a strong message should be sent out to prevent future episodes from occuring.Violent tendencies should not be tolerated in sports.

Comment

From here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=4966163 Brittney Griner, the dunking freshman sensation for Baylor (No. 15 ESPN/USA Today, No. 14 AP), has been suspended for two games after throwing a punch that broke an opposing player's nose in a Big 12 game.

Size 17 Really?

Comment

That's pretty lax discipline.

Comment

A two game suspension or a two game vacation? I'm leaning towards the latter due to the importance of the two games she is going to miss.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                  Size 17 Really?
                  A man.......really?

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    From ESPN article:

Griner likely faces additional discipline from Baylor and the Big 12.

"There's no place for that in sports," Baylor coach Kim Mulkey said. "It was ugly for women's basketball. It was ugly that coaches were on the court, that benches cleared, and I will take care of that with my team."
                    Locker room conversation between Mulkey and Griner afterward. Mulkey," Good punch Beth. That B***ch deserved it. No one treats my girls that way. Now you know I am gonna have to say how bad it was and show some disgust, but I want you to know its just for show and I don't mean a thing about it. I will try and get the least amount of punishment from the school for you as I can, don't know what the NCAA will do but I will privately plead a good case for you. From my viewpoint of the film, she was definitly the aggressor and you were just defending your self. We need you for the tourney and can't lose you." Griner," Thanks coach. Ain't no little white b***ch gonna push me around. You gotta do what you gotta do and I know you got my back."

Comment

Two games, huh... she only misses the first game of the Big 12 tourney, no doubt a laugher. Then she's back for any "tough" games they have in the tourney. What a joke.

Meanwhile, Barncastle's nose is broken.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I for one, am not surprised at all by the discipline Mulkey (or 90% of the other coaches would have) handed her.

Winning is above all else. Especially come tournament time.

What a joke.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The only way this is appropriate punishment, is if in her first game back - Baylor again faces Texas Tech and the gal with the broken nose at tip off punches this woman/dude square in the nose as she goes up for the ball.

NCAA missed the mark big time. Disappointing, yet predictable.

I wonder if our favorite ref's from Frost would have caught this punch if it had happened in Frost?!?!

Comment

Just playing Devil's Advocate for a second here:

This happens in a men's game a lot of people in the know(ESPN) think he gets one game.

So are we looking for a stiffer punishment because this is women's basketball??

Go Jacks!!
                            SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              Just playing Devil's Advocate for a second here:

This happens in a men's game a lot of people in the know(ESPN) think he gets one game.

So are we looking for a stiffer punishment because this is women's basketball??

Go Jacks!!
                              Look at the discussion on the elbow-jaw thing. Do you think that kid deserves -just- a one game suspension?

If the standard is that a guy would only get a one game suspension, that, too, is irresponsibly lax.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
                                Size 17 Really?

Or 18, depending on the source

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittney_Griner

Comment

Working...
                                X