Northern Sun Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Sun Expansion

It's a slow news day. Today's Argus Leader has an interview/story with the President of Augustana, Rob Oliver. He comments on the potential expansion of the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference, the possible addition of U of Sioux Falls, and the impact on Augie.

I liked these questions and answers:

Q. Wouldn't it benefit the NSIC to have Augustana and USF as travel partners?
    A. I would say that it's not in the best interest of either school. One needs to be thoughtful about this. It would give a competitive advantage to our opponents, because they would stay in Sioux Falls for both games (in basketball, for example) and not have to travel in between games.

Q. Doesn't that seem a little bit paranoid?

A. Not at all. I talked to (USF president Mark Benedetto) and suggested to him that I didn't think it would be a great idea.
    Q. Do you think Sioux Falls is a big enough market to support two NCAA Division II athletic programs?

A. This seems to be a community that really enjoys its sports, so I don't think it will be a problem.

STORY LINK

Re: Northern Sun Expansion

Interesting comments. If you caught Will Sanchez a week or two ago on the live Stu and Mike show, he seemed confident that Augie/USF would take way corporate dollars in Sioux Falls from SDSU and USD. I wonder about that.

Comment

I would say Sioux Falls does like its sports, but I will go out on a limb and say that they are not that into NSIC games. Anybody have any attendance figures for USF and Augie in football and basketball? I've actually been to USF playoff games where the attendance barely cracks 1,000 people. For football.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Interesting comments. If you caught Will Sanchez a week or two ago on the live Stu and Mike show, he seemed confident that Augie/USF would take way corporate dollars in Sioux Falls from SDSU and USD. I wonder about that.
        The perception of Augie (and to some extent USF) as peers or near-peers of SDSU and USD will continue to slowly fade away.

The first NCAA men's basketball tournament appearance of an SD D-I school will hasten that process of mind-share erosion considerably.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Let them eat cake. Just kidding, or maybe not, or maybe...

I see no reason to waste time discussing the Coo or the doggies. They are going to have their fan base just like they always have. Most of SD and the upper Midwest could care less (strong statement I know). The local media geeks (several who lurk here) will keep writing and talking about them while the majority of us follow the DI schools. Sure, they'll sign some local kids and beat other local kids and that is great. However, some of us prefer the larger scale with local athletes as it has no drawbacks, at least none that can be validated.

Can you imagine the ticket draw to the NAIA national championship if it was in Sioux Falls? How about the DII national championship now that all the quality DII schools are DI?

Cheer for the NSIC while supporting the DI schools, that would be my platform. If they don't like that stance than choose not to support them. I think its great for athletes that aren't good enough to compete at the DI level to have quality athletic programs that can support their academic education at the lower level. A college degree is a huge asset and many of the NSIC schools offer great academic opportunities.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Rob Oliver should just quit beating around the bush and say he doesn't want USF to move up to DII or be in the NSIC, and that Augustana will be voting "Nay" when the NSIC expansion ballot comes around.

I'm not going to say I blame him for feeling that way, but in all reality I don't think it is really going to effect their attendance at games one way or the other, as each university has their fan bases and most non alumni of these schools could care less. Recruiting might be the only thing the USF move could really effect in my opinion, and that will be marginal at best.

Oh well, I guess I could really care less what happens, but the soap opera that may unfold could be mildly entertaining to read about when I'm drinking my coffee in the morning.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Oh yah, and on the topic of having a DII rivalry that will take corporate dollars away from SDSU/USD, I think these quotes from today's Argus Leader article (LINK) about building a new Howard Wood Stadium tells you a lot about how excited the Sioux Falls community is about DII Football.

Sports Authority Executive Director Mike Sullivan said the field would need to hold at least 20,000 spectators to give his group a shot at bringing NCAA Division I football games to Sioux Falls, and luxury suites would help raise revenue from those games.
              It might be more than the school district needs, (Superintendent Pam) Homan said, but the board needs to think bigger. This is about trying to find that magical blend between the high schools' needs and the broader needs of the community.
              I don't think the Division I schools in the state have much to worry about.
              Last edited by Kemo; 10-08-2009, 01:49 AM.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Geez who do I root for this winter during the Mankato State- SDSU womens bb game. I graduated from both. Oh yea easy choice. Go Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  Geez who do I root for this winter during the Mankato State- SDSU womens bb game. I graduated from both. Oh yea easy choice. Go Jacks.
                  Same here SturgisJeff (well, I'll graduate from Mankato this spring). Wouldn't even bother me if the Jacks beat them by 70 points either...
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Well when I hear that USF moving up to D-2 may impact Augie, I am really glad that SDSU made the tough choice of moving to D-1. I know it would have been tough for Augie to have moved when SDSU or USD did, but it has to be tough on the ego to have USF in the same conference.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

USF could very well be more succesful in athletics than Augie. That is why Augie does not want them in the same league.

Comment

Originally posted by 22jack View Post
                        USF could very well be more succesful in athletics than Augie. That is why Augie does not want them in the same league.
                        I keep hearing this but has USF had much success in sports outside of football?

Comment

Good point, but football is where the money is made.

Comment

But rules in football are much different in NCAA D-II than NAIA; they both will be operating under the same restrictions know.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                              But rules in football are much different in NCAA D-II than NAIA; they both will be operating under the same restrictions know.
                              Scholarships, you mean . . . not game rules.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X