Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: University of Sioux Falls

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    Oh how I wish Brookings would have given the Pen and Sioux Falls would have been given SDSU.

Sioux Falls wouldn't have the dopey Sky-force, SDSU would have outstanding cooperate support and outstanding fan support. Sigh...
    Naw I dont think so. As being associated with the Brookings Community for a long time, we think Mr. Scobey did the right thing way back when. In case you dont know who Mr Scobey was, he was the Dakota Territory Legislator from the Brookings area that went to then Dakota Territory capital Yankton in hopes of acquiring the Granite city, the Pen. Instead he got SDSU.

Real estate acquistions would have been a bigger hassle than it already is if SDSU had gone to Sioux Falls. Just look at Augie and USF both. I question the fan support from Sioux Falls.Its been okay, but never outstanding and even if SDSU was in SF, some would still choose the SkyForce since they can drink beer and act stupid during the events. Just my thoughts.

I met people in Fargo that hardly know NDSU exists. I have a friend who lives near the campus and he too wishes NDSU did not exist since he deals with the student living all the time.

Another point NDSU has good support in Fargo, but get out in the hinderland and its not so good. I think SDSU has a better statewide following than NDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Naw I dont think so. As being associated with the Brookings Community for a long time, we think Mr. Scobey did the right thing way back when. In case you dont know who Mr Scobey was, he was the Dakota Territory Legislator from the Brookings area that went to then Dakota Territory capital Yankton in hopes of acquiring the Granite city, the Pen. Instead he got SDSU.

Real estate acquistions would have been a bigger hassle than it already is if SDSU had gone to Sioux Falls. Just look at Augie and USF both. I question the fan support from Sioux Falls.Its been okay, but never outstanding and even if SDSU was in SF, some would still choose the SkyForce since they can drink beer and act stupid during the events. Just my thoughts.

I met people in Fargo that hardly know NDSU exists. I have a friend who lives near the campus and he too wishes NDSU did not exist since he deals with the student living all the time.

Another point NDSU has good support in Fargo, but get out in the hinderland and its not so good. I think SDSU has a better statewide following than NDSU.
      I agree 100%. I enjoyed going to college in Brookings. The small town feel was special. Not many Division 1 schools have that special feel that SDSU does. Sioux Falls is close enough so we can get media coverage, fans, and money.

Back to the subject of the thread. Does anyone think the 8 teams will break off from the NSIC and form a quasi new NCC. Maybe Augie, USF, MSU, St. Cloud, Duluth, Northern, Southwest, and Winona? 16 teams is obnoxious. I know the Big East does it, but they only have 8 for football, so it works for them.
      Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        Also from the realm of 'what could have happened, but didn't', Dakota territory was split because it got the Republicans another two senators.

Between the two Cleveland administrations, the Republican Benjamin Harrison signed legislation admitting SD, ND, Montana, Wyoming, Washington, and Idaho. All reliably Republican at the time, and the states were divided up to maximize their impact in Congress.... All of them had their admission held up during the Cleveland years because he was a Democrat and wouldn't sign the legislation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjami...d_to_the_Union

(Wikipedia presents a slightly different take: the Republicans didn't have votes to get states in during the Hayes administration, and when they had votes during the Cleveland administration, they couldn't get past Cleveland's likely veto).

----

If memory serves, NDSU & UND were set up to bolster the viability of two Dakotas, not one.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...DATES/90710023

USF accepted into NCAA Div. II

Read more at Argus.

Comment

From a third party perspective: I think that USF probably can pull this off and make it a positive move over time but the timing of the move are probably a little tough to swallow for a lot of people coming on the heels of news of budgetary problems at the school just a month or so ago.

Also I will say that the prospect of a developing rivalry between USF and Augustana would at least draw my interest from a news standpoint. I would be lying if I said that I was going to go out and attend Augustana/USF games because my college sports time and money are exclusively tied to SDSU events, but I would have my eye on a Sioux Falls inter-city rivalry to some extent.
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
            X