University of Sioux Falls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Sioux Falls

USF has just announced they will be applying to move up to DII. Imagine the NSIC will be a logical destination. Augie has an instant rival!

USF to D-II

Boy they going to have to bone-up on those NCAA compliance manuals. From what I hear they're a litte "loose"?, shall we say in NAIA.

http://beta.argusleader.com/article/...DATES/90428062

Good for USF, it's about time.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Re: USF to D-II

I wonder if USF is looking at trying to join the NSIC, as the conference already has 14 teams... Big East Jr anyone?
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

News like this just reminds us of the reasons that Dr. Oien and President Miller cited way back when they determined D1 was our future. D2 was becoming watered down with smaller schools and we just didn't fit in that group anymore. I can't imagine SDSU (or USD) being a peer of USF.

Propar80 is right. Maybe somebody should send them one of our dog-eared old D2 compliance manuals.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I doubt they will go to the NSIC......the NSIC has limits on their football scholarships (unless things have changed), one of the reasons USF has done so well with their programs is because they fund them..... I just don't see them going to the NSIC as long as they have a lower limit on football scholarships then the D-II minimum.....

Isn't one of the schools Crookston? expected to either go down to D-III /NAIA or quit athletics all together?

Comment

Re: University of Sioux Falls

I think NSIC was headed for a scholarship limit in the mid 20's for football. The NCC had been in the mid 30's. NSIC would be a good D-II landing spot for USF. It would have a couple of years to get into compliance. That seems achieveabe.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Article in the Argus today about USF and the possibility of going to the NSIC.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...21/1002/sports

Article mentioned that there were a couple of other possibilities for USF, but I believe Minot State was looking at moving up as well. And NSIC's own mentioned membership cap was 16 teams. Looks like a good fit potentially.

I wonder if there will be the same demand from local media that USF and Augustana start playing each other in football. We certainly can't cheat the citizens of the Sioux Falls metro area of such a great rivalry.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                Article in the Argus today about USF and the possibility of going to the NSIC.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...21/1002/sports

Article mentioned that there were a couple of other possibilities for USF, but I believe Minot State was looking at moving up as well. And NSIC's own mentioned membership cap was 16 teams. Looks like a good fit potentially.

I wonder if there will be the same demand from local media that USF and Augustana start playing each other in football. We certainly can't cheat the citizens of the Sioux Falls metro area of such a great rivalry.
                No we can't do that now can we Stu Whitney. Zimmer covers both Augie and USF. Looks like the Argus may needs another beat writer.

Comment

Will this be one step closer to the reestablishment of the NCC? Maybe the NSIC can handle one or two new members, but it's right on the edge of a split already. With fourteen members already, it would only take USF and one other school to create two viable conferences of eight schools each. Just from North Dakota, Minot State and Jamestown College have both talked about joining Mary in DII(Mary was in the Dac10 with the other two). I don't know if the split would be along competitive or geographic lines, but I can't see the NCIS taking on many more orphans.

Comment

I honestly think that the NSIC would be okay with 16 teams and two divisions, of course I only get that impression from what I read today. I don't think many other NSIC teams will be jumping the gun and wanting to restart an NCC sibling when they have a certain and established conference already. As for USF and scholarships, with them being in the NCAA it will probably be a lot harder for them to write-off as much scholarship money as "academic" or "leadership" scholarships as they were able to do in the NAIA, so the NSIC's 24 scholarship limit is at least a good first step for them. I think Augustana and the rest of the old NCC crew are also somewhat glad they don't have to worry about the NCC's higher scholarship limit as well and are starting to appreciate the NSIC for that much. I could be way off though.

Comment

I honestly think that the NSIC would be okay with 16 teams and two divisions, of course I only get that impression from what I read today. I don't think many other NSIC teams will be jumping the gun and wanting to restart an NCC sibling when they have a certain and established conference already. As for USF and scholarships, with them being in the NCAA it will probably be a lot harder for them to write-off as much scholarship money as "academic" or "leadership" scholarships as they were able to do in the NAIA, so the NSIC's 24 scholarship limit is at least a good first step for them. I think Augustana and the rest of the old NCC crew are also somewhat glad they don't have to worry about the NCC's higher scholarship limit as well and are starting to appreciate the NSIC for that much. I could be way off though.
                      I agree with what you are saying here, and would add that NCAA D2 level is currently at 36 and there are few conferences and specifically few schools that fund that total. Gulf South and MIAA plus the NCC were about the only ones that had that amount. Augie and Morningside were never happy with 36 level and often funded less than 36.

Those eight national banners in Fargo might not have been there had not the allowed level been at 45 during the 1980's. NDSU was one of the few that were able to meet that level year in and year out. I dont think SDSU was at the 45 level very often and it hurt in recruiting battles against NDSU. We lost a bunch of those battles.

When it was set at 36, NDSU started to think D1 as they felt it was a big step backwards and it was for them and the cash rich Teammakers.

Comment

Perhaps the NSIC should split into two divisions along geographic lines for sports other than football. Since there may be some disagreement on scholarship numbers for football, perhaps the conference should be split into two separate conferences for football with both being run out of the NSIC office. One conference could be for those schools who must play with a lesser number of scholarships, for example with a maximum of 18. The other conference would be for those who are able to offer more than that. That might allow the schools with marginal athletic department budgets to remain in the NSIC and in D-II and perhaps even allow others like Morningside or DSU to move up. It might also allow for more parity within the conference in football.
                        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          Perhaps the NSIC should split into two divisions along geographic lines for sports other than football. Since there may be some disagreement on scholarship numbers for football, perhaps the conference should be split into two separate conferences for football with both being run out of the NSIC office. One conference could be for those schools who must play with a lesser number of scholarships, for example with a maximum of 18. The other conference would be for those who are able to offer more than that. That might allow the schools with marginal athletic department budgets to remain in the NSIC and in D-II and perhaps even allow others like Morningside or DSU to move up. It might also allow for more parity within the conference in football.
                          While this is the right direction for USF to take, the first thought that crossed my mind on reading this is "this is exactly why SDSU had to move to D-I."

Congrats for the foresight to move up earlier than later Jacks!

Comment

Isn't one of the schools Crookston? expected to either go down to D-III /NAIA or quit athletics all together?
                            I lived in Crookston for 5 years. This would be sad. They love their hockey program and when I was there the football team was top 25 and had some really good players. Basketball has always been pretty brutal.

NAIA would be the best bet for them. Grand Forks is 20 miles away and Fargo is 1 hour.

Comment

Those eight national banners in Fargo might not have been there had not the allowed level been at 45 during the 1980's. NDSU was one of the few that were able to meet that level year in and year out. I dont think SDSU was at the 45 level very often and it hurt in recruiting battles against NDSU. We lost a bunch of those battles.
                              Oh how I wish Brookings would have given the Pen and Sioux Falls would have been given SDSU.

Sioux Falls wouldn't have the dopey Sky-force, SDSU would have outstanding cooperate support and outstanding fan support. Sigh...

Comment

Working...
                              X