Will a New AD Mean USD vs SDSU Sooner or Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a New AD Mean USD vs SDSU Sooner or Later

I think a fair topic. With Oien now retiring will the talks between SDSU and USD heat up or will they stall to an even further halt. Just curious to see what SDSU fans think.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: Will a New AD Mean USD vs SDSU Sooner or Later

CF, I think it is too early to tell. Obviously, depends on the philosophy of the new AD.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      I think a fair topic. With Oien now retiring will the talks between SDSU and USD heat up or will they stall to an even further halt. Just curious to see what SDSU fans think.
      My honest answer is that I don't think it won't make much difference either way. Football schedules are locked in until 2012 or so, anyway. I could easily see basketball happening in the next couple of years (possibly before USD completes the reclassification), regardless of who's in the AD spot. I think the big thing is that it needs to be something that is revenue-enhancing for SDSU (and, I would hope, for USD, too)--that's what I as an SDSU alum would stand up on the table and hold my breath for.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        Hard to say. I take it you feel that Dr. Oien was the main one preventing this game from being scheduled. That may or may not be the case.

I will say this, the search for a new AD should not in anyway involve questions about relationships with the athletic dept down south. We need someone with equal or greater vision and foresight than Dr. Oien to continue are advancement at the DI level. Dwelling on past DII relationships doesn't fit well with that need.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Honestly, what we don't need is another thread posted by USD to again bring up the question. It will happen WHEN it happens...and not before, and all the endless trail of similar posts, for or against, won't change that. Give it a rest (I know, I can skip the threads, but I generally look to see if something new has been added, and am disappointed I took the time to check). I think everything has been said that can be said. And speculation about what a new AD would think is obviously a waste of time when we are months away from that even happening. I do know one thing: when we get that new AD on board, I am sure it won't be the topic most important to him/her in their first year on board. Adios amigos (Cancun influence!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
            CF, I think it is too early to tell. Obviously, depends on the philosophy of the new AD.
            BINGO, plus Dr Chicoine knows and has known Jim Abbott for a long time and they are on friendly terms. Pres Chicione has mentioned that SDSU would help adminstratively USD with their trip through the transition period. If any one other than Fred Oien could have brought SDSU and USD together, it would have been the presidents. It appears both have more on their plate to handle besides scheduling.

If this had been a big priority and one that impressed Pres Chicione, I think some events would have been scheduled.

Comment

Maybe the SDSU/USD situation is different, but up here the decision is a presidential one. Gene Taylor has said in print that any scheduling between NDSU and UND is up to Pres. Chapman.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                Maybe the SDSU/USD situation is different, but up here the decision is a presidential one. Gene Taylor has said in print that any scheduling between NDSU and UND is up to Pres. Chapman.
                I think in all fairness, the vast majority of USD fans are onboard with your thinking, and that is we don't play each other. I don't necessarily share that thought, but the posters on both sites feel that way, so that's how it should be.

One thought to that is to not play each other for a long period of time, and if there is a natural rivalry brewing from the changing of the fans perspectives, then it can turn into a higher income generator than first thought. In other words, let the demand lead the supply.

My observation of SDSU athletic program is overall they should be proud. You have some programs that have done very well, others not so well, but I think the overall scorecard is good. I think the move to DI has heightened your support of Jackrabbit athletics, and that is also good for your school.

It doesn't do any good to further banter what scores would feasibly be if we played each other, because that issue will never be answered till they do. So that being said, maybe it is wise for fans of both schools to support the other, because let's face it, whats good for South Dakota is good for us all. I for one thinks it benefits USD when SDSU is scrolled down below on the ESPN ticker because of recognition.

On the Udot board (as many of you call it) I have suggested we no longer even talk about SDSU because for all practical purposes, it serves no purpose. Yote53 made a statement that many of your posters are arrogant, and they are. But we also have our share of them. That goes with rivalry.

Several months ago, I made a post on the USD website that basically said for our fans to get behind the 'Yotes whether they were going to be 11-0, 0-11, or somewhere in between. The sooner we get on our feet, and become very competitive much like you have, the sooner the state will attract more and better athletes. It takes support, both "butts in seats at stadium or arenas" and financial support. That's the face of college athletics today. A healthy dose of bantering is ok, and even though I have blasted a fan or two from here in the past, I made a pledge to Filbert not to do that anymore.

Good luck with all your teams this winter, and I hope they continue their success. Merry Christmas Rabbit Fans. Happy New Year.

Comment

What if.. now hear me out...

What if we turned this potential game into a $1 Million dollar affair... Think about it we could play this game NEXT year at the Wood. Play the football game in August and then right after set up a basketball floor and play a B-ball double header, all at Howard Wood. Outside! It would be out of this world! What's stopping us from playing this game!?! And then to top it off, at half time let's bring boxing back to Sioux Falls one more time. Mascot vs. Mascot all proceeds of this event going towards charitable organizations helping out the families of people who continue to bang their head against the wall debating when USD and SDSU will play each other again.

I know... I know... I don't have to read the thread... ya-da, ya-da, ya-da

Continue on.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE View Post
                    What if.. now hear me out...

What if we turned this potential game into a $1 Million dollar affair... Think about it we could play this game NEXT year at the Wood. Play the football game in August and then right after set up a basketball floor and play a B-ball double header, all at Howard Wood. Outside! It would be out of this world! What's stopping us from playing this game!?! And then to top it off, at half time let's bring boxing back to Sioux Falls one more time. Mascot vs. Mascot all proceeds of this event going towards charitable organizations helping out the families of people who continue to bang their head against the wall debating when USD and SDSU will play each other again.

I know... I know... I don't have to read the thread... ya-da, ya-da, ya-da

Continue on.
                    So, we'll count you as "won't have any effect one way or another," then.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      So, we'll count you as "won't have any effect one way or another," then.
                      Yes, that's what I meant to say.

Comment

This is an opportunity similar to the retirement of Robert Wagner back in '98.

While I will certainly not say "Don't hire anyone from within the athletic department"

I will say that this is a golden opportunity for -someone- from -somewhere else.

Don't know who, couldn't tell you, but as with Pres. Miller, SDSU has a lot to offer a candidate.

There is blue sky in South Dakota and at SDSU right now. The same cannot be said everywhere. The Big Ten, MAC, MVC, Horizon, Big East, and Pac 10 programs are in states that are enduring moderate to drastic economic downturns.

Of the BCS conferences, I would say only the Big 12 and SEC are generally based in economically stable states and regions.

Throwing in mid-majors and only the midwest/Rocky Mountain/Southern schools in C-USA, Sun Belt, WAC, and MWC are in healthy economies.

That makes the SDSU job quite attractive. Much more attractive than it would've been five or six years ago--even if SDSU were already D-1 at that time.

Comment

After reading this thread and a few others, some are relating that the scheduling the SDSU v. Udot games are a high priority. I guess I think there will much bigger fish to fry than to be concerned about getting Udot back on the schedule. The replacement won't be hired on how he feels about these games. There are many more important items to an AD other than scheduling.

Comment

From the Argus article on Dr. Oien's retirement today. This was in the "Memorable Moments" section on the right hand side of the online version:

Oct. 2002 - Oien angers USD and Augie fans by saying at a forum in Brookings that the schools were no longer rivals with SDSU.
                            "... We've beaten USD 13 out of the last 15 football games. Augie has only beaten us twice in basketball since 1990," he said then. "Those aren't rivalries anymore, and their fans don't buy tickets from us anymore."
                            Classic quote!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                              After reading this thread and a few others, some are relating that the scheduling the SDSU v. Udot games are a high priority. I guess I think there will much bigger fish to fry than to be concerned about getting Udot back on the schedule. The replacement won't be hired on how he feels about these games. There are many more important items to an AD other than scheduling.
                              I actually agree with you 4life. I just think that Fred was a major roadblock in those games being scheduled (and I fully support that decision) and now that he is retiring some of those feelings won't be in the way of scheduling the games.

By the way. Love that quote Btown. That is classic smack if I've ever seen it.
                              "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                              -Leo Rosten

Comment

Working...
                              X