USD Having Press Conference Regarding Radio Affiliation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Having Press Conference Regarding Radio Affiliation

This is a "Good" announcement for USD?? I'm sure their fans in and around Vermillion are thrilled.

Someboday clue me in, I'm confused.

Go Jacks!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Pretty funny the signal in Vermillion will be a little shaky. Truly amazing the coverage area of WNAX. Would still like to see a network set up that picks up the WNAX feed. I also think we could easily expand the pregame/postgame and coaches shows on WNAX. I'm sure the logistics of WNAX and their on air talent being in Yankton rather than Brookings plays a role.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
        This is a "Good" announcement for USD?? I'm sure their fans in and around Vermillion are thrilled.

Someboday clue me in, I'm confused.

Go Jacks!
        I'll be stunned if a network of stations isn't announced.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A lot of holes in that resume' for Swain. He just started with Ohio last July.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
            Pretty funny the signal in Vermillion will be a little shaky. Truly amazing the coverage area of WNAX. Would still like to see a network set up that picks up the WNAX feed. I also think we could easily expand the pregame/postgame and coaches shows on WNAX. I'm sure the logistics of WNAX and their on air talent being in Yankton rather than Brookings plays a role.
            Not to thread jack, but I recall hearing last year they are expanding pre- and post-game coverage of football and men's basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
              Not to thread jack, but I recall hearing last year they are expanding pre- and post-game coverage of football and men's basketball.
              Now if they could just do something different with the women's basketball situation. Pretty sad when you can't listen to the game on the radio in Sioux Falls.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                Now if they could just do something different with the women's basketball situation. Pretty sad when you can't listen to the game on the radio in Sioux Falls.
                Keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

My guess on this would be that Cumulus offered something to USD that Culhane could not because of the comparatively different size of the organizations. As the last post indicated, good radio coverage in Sioux Falls also played a part in this decision. SDSU is lucky with WNAX as it comes in so clear in the entire market area, I don't think it is likely that we will ever get women's bb on 570. I would also guess that establishing a network of stations without men's bb or fb is going to be difficult.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
                    No "network" at this time, just a change in radio stations:

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/new...elease_id=4524

USD Reaches Agreement With BEE 102.7 in Sioux Falls as New Flagship Station

VERMILLION, S.D. -- The University of South Dakota has announced a new partnership with BEE 102.7 in Sioux Falls to serve as the flagship radio station for the 2008-09 season. The 50,000 watt FM signal will carry all 11 USD football games, the entire men’s basketball schedule and doubleheaders involving the men’s and women’s basketball team. . . . (read more)

Here is what their new coverage looks like:

http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin...atus=L&hours=U

Please note that Vermillion, home of the Coyotes, falls between distant and fringe.

As a comparison here is SDSU's Flagship Station's coverage:

Go State!
                    WNAX comes in pretty clear all the way in the Black Hills as well. Also in Northwestern, SD. I was hunting up by Lemmon last year and on the drive home to the Northern Hills I listened to a Jackrabbit FB game the whole way home. Came in loud and clear.

Comment

Warren Swain is a class act. He did play by play for Nebraska from 1996-the early to mid 00's. I remember his voice on the Huskers network and he is a very good announcer. He announced the Huskers National Title winning game in 1997 as well as many other major bowl games for the Huskers. When I did the research and went to the Ohio U site to listen to his archived broadcasts of the Bobcats TV coaches show I immediately recognized his voice. I firmly believe that he will become the best play by play announcer in the State of South Dakota when he does his first game of anyone that is currently doing play by play in any significant sports announcing. The Ohio U people seem to think he did a good job with them. I don't know why he has moved around alot but I do know that he has family around this area. I believe in Western Iowa. He is moving closer to home and I am sure that had something to do with it. I would have to guess that USD really pulled some strings to get him but his familiarity with the area and USD played into it. I am alot more happy with the new voice of the Coyotes than I am concerned exactly which stations will be covering. Today USD stated at their press conference that their goal is to cover the entire state of South Dakota with the broadcasts. The press release said that the signal reaches out about 60 miles in each direction at the least. It mentioned N Sioux City as the southern most point. Vermillion should easily be within range. I don't know how current that pictured graph is from earlier posts.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                        Warren Swain is a class act. He did play by play for Nebraska from 1996-the early to mid 00's. I remember his voice on the Huskers network and he is a very good announcer. He announced the Huskers National Title winning game in 1997 as well as many other major bowl games for the Huskers. When I did the research and went to the Ohio U site to listen to his archived broadcasts of the Bobcats TV coaches show I immediately recognized his voice. I firmly believe that he will become the best play by play announcer in the State of South Dakota when he does his first game of anyone that is currently doing play by play in any significant sports announcing. The Ohio U people seem to think he did a good job with them. I don't know why he has moved around alot but I do know that he has family around this area. I believe in Western Iowa. He is moving closer to home and I am sure that had something to do with it. I would have to guess that USD really pulled some strings to get him but his familiarity with the area and USD played into it. I am alot more happy with the new voice of the Coyotes than I am concerned exactly which stations will be covering. Today USD stated at their press conference that their goal is to cover the entire state of South Dakota with the broadcasts. The press release said that the signal reaches out about 60 miles in each direction at the least. It mentioned N Sioux City as the southern most point. Vermillion should easily be within range. I don't know how current that pictured graph is from earlier posts.
                        I'll defer to others as to how strong the signal is in Vermillion down to the Sioux City area . . . I just commented on the FCC's "primary coverage area" which for this station is basically most of Minnehaha and almost all of Lincoln counties. Signal can go further, of course.

Seems to me that any guy who's done UNL football play by play has some sportscasting chops, regardless of his employment history . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Huh. Nothing about the big announcement on the B's website ...

The coverage map posted by 89rabbit seems accurate. Like sports statistics, you can put all sorts of spin on that coverage map to make it look good. I was listening to the B at the beginning of our trip to Colorado last month. The signal was pretty weak around the Vermillion exit, and after that wasn't worth listening to.

Right now, you can listen live to any of the Cumulus stations on-line for free. Wonder if that will change when Udot games are on?
                          "You trusted us"

Comment

Looks to me like the red line on 89rabbit's posted map corresponds to the FCC's "primary coverage area."

I would certainly expect USD to have a local Vermillion-area affiliate join the Sioux Falls-based "flagship" station in a network, to ensure a good over-the-air signal to Vermillion.

I'd also expect USD to try to increase their revenue by putting the Internet feed behind a subscription wall like SDSU has done. Possibly not this year, but certainly by the time USD is done with their transition.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                              It seems like Warren Swain is working is way down the ladder.

Nebraksa>Drake>Bowling Green>Ohio>USD...

Not the direction, I'd want my career to move.
                              I think you hit the nail on the head here. Rep points earned for your astuteness.

Warren Swain hiring as a Husker broadcasting was a horrible mistake. KFAB dumped Ken Kavelca for Swain, and the Husker fans in general were not happy. I listened to him and he is not close to Steve Imming in broadcast skills. Class act? I Doubt it Coyote Fan thinks every decision made in Verminland is class, this one will help SDSU believe me.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I have never heard Mr Swain broadcast. I read some entries over on

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/

and it seems like they tolerated him in football and perhaps basketball didn't go as well. You can't believe everything you read on a message board*. I predict that no matter what the fans of his past teams believe that he will be an improvement for the Coyotes! Perspective really is important.

* except of course for this message board.
                                Last edited by West-River_Jack; 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM. Reason: Added asterisk and asterisked statement
                                Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                                X