X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD Having Press Conference Regarding Radio Affiliation

For reference, WNAX's nighttime service area:

And the daytime coverage area:

I can pick up WNAX (scratchy, not very fun to listen to, but it's a useable signal) from the southeastern edge of the Kansas City metro area, during the daytime. WNAX has, I believe, one of the larger coverage areas of any station in the U.S.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I've picked up Jacks football games while deer hunting out between Isabel and Bison and basketball games while skiing out in the Black Hills. Its amazing the area that WNAX covers.

Comment

You can also get WNAX very good in area West of Fargo in the evening. Often it depends on time of sunset and other stations adjusting their transmitters. Once the transmitter adjustments have been made the signal is well received even though were I have listen is outside the purple ring on the maps posted by Filbert.

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
          I have never heard Mr Swain broadcast. I read some entries over on

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboard/

and it seems like they tolerated him in football and perhaps basketball didn't go as well. You can't believe everything you read on a message board*. I predict that no matter what the fans of his past teams believe that he will be an improvement for the Coyotes! Perspective really is important.

* except of course for this message board.
          Believe me Swain is very average at best. Culhune may have come across as a wild man, on a Coyote first down, but Swain will put you to sleep. He is no Steve Imming.

Comment

I listened to Jacks games over the air on WNAX while living in Rochester, MN. I could get the signal day or night in my 91 GMC truck.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Believe me Swain is very average at best. Culhune may have come across as a wild man, on a Coyote first down, but Swain will put you to sleep. He is no Steve Imming.
              Swain is No Imming, ha, ha, ha !!! Imming is a D2 announcer that lucked into a D1 job. At least with USD they didn't take their D2 quality play by play to D1 with them. This is one thing that USD isn't copying from SDSU. Imming is one of the more boring and homerish announcers out there. He is just about as bad as Culhaine when it comes to complaining about the refs. Only Jacks fans would say that Imming is better than Swain. Gimme a break, Swain covered the Huskers for about 7 years and if he was that bad he would not have lasted that long. WNAX has a large coverage area but that is about as good as it gets with them. They barely cover the Jacks outside a few minutes before and after a game. WNAX is actually a perfect fit for SDSU since they are an Ag station and SDSU an Ag school so it's a match made in heaven. At least with Culhaine the post and pre game coverage was excellent. Jacks fans would be wetting their pants if Swain had come to SDSU. They would also be puffing chests about Swains D1 major college experience. I know it, and you all know it too.
              How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Coyote-Fan:

That's enough smack for a non-smack thread.

I like Steve Imming. I don't have to defend him before the likes of you.

JackJD, Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                  Swain is No Imming, ha, ha, ha !!! Imming is a D2 announcer that lucked into a D1 job. At least with USD they didn't take their D2 quality play by play to D1 with them. This is one thing that USD isn't copying from SDSU. Imming is one of the more boring and homerish announcers out there. He is just about as bad as Culhaine when it comes to complaining about the refs. Only Jacks fans would say that Imming is better than Swain. Gimme a break, Swain covered the Huskers for about 7 years and if he was that bad he would not have lasted that long. WNAX has a large coverage area but that is about as good as it gets with them. They barely cover the Jacks outside a few minutes before and after a game. WNAX is actually a perfect fit for SDSU since they are an Ag station and SDSU an Ag school so it's a match made in heaven. At least with Culhaine the post and pre game coverage was excellent. Jacks fans would be wetting their pants if Swain had come to SDSU. They would also be puffing chests about Swains D1 major college experience. I know it, and you all know it too.
                  I checked out the Ohio board....it looks like most of the fans had little respect for Swain. It could be sour apples.
                  http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageb...D=1&PID=157589

I agree Coyotefan, WNAX is the right fit for SDSU, an AG station and an AG school. That's what we are, and I'm darn proud of it.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

I've never heard Swain call a game, so I can't say much about his talent level. Calling Husker football for seven years is impressive. It appears to be a good hire. But if a tree falls in the woods and nobody's there to hear it?????

I like Imming, and can't imagine anybody else beside him calling games....maybe Tyler Merriam. Tyler does a great job covering baseball. I can't wait to hear is coverage of women's basketball this year. He is a talented individual. I hope we can get the Women's games broadcast in Sioux Falls.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                      WNAX comes in pretty clear all the way in the Black Hills as well. Also in Northwestern, SD. I was hunting up by Lemmon last year and on the drive home to the Northern Hills I listened to a Jackrabbit FB game the whole way home. Came in loud and clear.
                      My experience has been different. I generally can't pick up Jacks games in Aberdeen. It's discouraging. I have a little better luck in the car, but I can't afford to drive around the block for two or three hours to hear tha game. I wouldn't want anybody but WNAX doing the games, but the signal map shown is bigger than the actual coverage area.

A radio network (and a plan for television) best be in the works. If not, USD will develop one. Take it to the bank.
                      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Wow, I do not agree. And I am not above going against the grain on this board. You can say Imming is tame, which some might say is boring, but he's not a homer or one to complain about officials. Jerry is more likely to gripe about refs. Maybe I'm just too used to Gene Rich doing NSU games. He is a chronic whiner, so maybe Jerry just seems classy compared to him. I have a lot of respect for Steve and how he does his job. That being said, I think WNAX could jazz things up a bit. And on the postgame for football...we don't have to do the total almost play-by-play recap of SDSU drives from start to end. More of a pregame and a better postgame might be my suggestions. But for play by play, I'll take Steve. Nothing against the new USD guy. I've never heard him work.

Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                          My experience has been different. I generally can't pick up Jacks games in Aberdeen. It's discouraging. I have a little better luck in the car, but I can't afford to drive around the block for two or three hours to hear tha game. I wouldn't want anybody but WNAX doing the games, but the signal map shown is bigger than the actual coverage area.

A radio network (and a plan for television) best be in the works. If not, USD will develop one. Take it to the bank.
                          You do know that you don't have to be driving the car to listen to the radio in the car right?

Comment

Couldn't disagree with you more on Imming, although you are right that he has been complaining a bit more about the refs the last few years. I still couldn't imagine listening to anyone else call the Jacks games, Imming's got my vote.

I won't bother with the Ag school comment, I'm pretty happy with what my engineering degree from SDSU is doing for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              You do know that you don't have to be driving the car to listen to the radio in the car right?

Yeah. It's just that WNAX comes in better in the car. I guess I just moved, so...maybe I'll have better luck in my new home?

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post

Not to disagree, but I'm not entirely sure that we need a radio network. With WNAX's coverage area, it is basically the same thing as a radio network. To have the same coverage area, USD would need a network with stations in SF, Brookings (wonder who would pick that up), Watertown, Aberdeen, Huron, Mitchel, Yankton, and Pierre. In other words, we already cover as big of an area as any so called network by USD could achieve.

I do believe we need to work a little more on the TV side of things and reaching out to the SF market. Maybe tape delay the games on time slots where infomercials are on the networks or something and a weekly coaches show on a SF station wouldn't hurt.

Also, to Coyote Fan, when you make fun of someone for something they are proud of (ag school), it makes you look small and petty, not us.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X