Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DII Women's Basketball National Championship

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Superbunny: I moved your last post to Smack.

I'd like to see a more elevated and rational discussion here. If you want to smack away, go to the new thread in the Smack section. Thanks.
    Thanks filbert. I want the same things you do. My reaction was to the irrational comments from the fine fellow from USD.

I will try and keep it classy. Ditto on trying to give you rep points for your "big" post. Just gave you some for another.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

My point is that USD has a couple of examples in SDSU and Florida Gulf Coast. Both schools had elite 8 success the year before transitioning and that success in both instances transfered over to D1 and resulted in good seasons. Of course that doesn't mean that USD will be as successfull but there do have past history to draw from.

All I can say is don't just assume that USD is going to move up and fail miserably. Sure there will be some adjusting to new players and a new coach but by being able to beat the top teams in D2 does have relevance to moving to D1 in general. USD will not be a Tennessee or UConn but if they were to be in the Summit League right now they would very likely be competitive.

I will not go into this anymore because for the most part the bias is against USD so any argument that puts USD within 20 points of SDSU will be irrelevant to SDSU fans so there is really no point of going on regardless of the reasoning. There is no gaurantee that USD's success will even go beyond this year but as far as any mid major school they are always one coach leaving away from losing a winning edge. There is no gaurantee that SDSU's success will continue either. Just look at the NDSU Women right now. From a dominant D2 program 10 years ago to a program struggling for success now. No Bison fan would have ever imagined 10 years ago that they wouldn't barely be within 20 points of SDSU 10 years later. SDSU fans wouldn't believe their men would be significantly behind NDSU either. Success comes and goes.
      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
        I will not go into this anymore because for the most part the bias is against USD so any argument that puts USD within 20 points of SDSU will be irrelevant to SDSU fans so there is really no point of going on regardless of the reasoning.
        How do you know if you don't try? I went and looked at the statistics of the two teams, and was shocked to find that they were nearly identical. I was more shocked to see that USD got outrebounded by 3 per game. I daresay you won't find many 30-win teams who get outrebounded for the year.

I expected to see that there would be a statistical category--shooting offense, shooting defense, or rebounding--where USD would have been obviously superior. There wasn't.

Now if all folks want to do is go back and forth going "we're obviously better because of the color of our uniforms!" then that's going to head for Smackville pretty quickly (and already has, actually). If people want to back up their opinion with something more than subjective judgments, then there's a basis for discussion.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Both schools had elite 8 success the year before transitioning and that success in both instances transfered over to D1 and resulted in good seasons. Of course that doesn't mean that USD will be as successfull but there do have past history to draw from.
          USD had one good season that ended in the Elite 8. SDSU ended a very successful run in the NCC with three consecutive trips to the Elite 8. I believe the hardest part for USD's women going forward is having to find a new coach for the transition. SDSU benefited from having the same coach lead the team out of DII and to a National Championship, which has lead to great success with the transition. USD built up to one good run and is out a coach. BIG difference.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I actually find USD to be all the more impressive just because they can win by being outrebounded and not shoot that well either. They went through the majority of the NCAA tournament having those two very problems. USD leads the nation in fewest turnovers committed and since they make alot of threes that affords generally lower shooting percentage. Turning it over less and making alot of threes is how a team can combat getting out rebounded and not shooting a high percentage overall. It goes beyond just three point shooting because the Yotes haven't been able to make any shots, not just three pointers.

Until the Championship USD had also done very well down the stretch in games. Generally the bigger the moment the better they played.
            How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

It's dangerous to "live by the three" and USD proved that. Also did Duke in the men's NCAA, which I still can't believe everyone of their shooters all of a sudden went ice cold, but what is done is done.

I also believe Florida Gulf Coast won their regular season conference (or finished second) to secure their bid to the WNIT. The fact that USD will not have a conference will make it doubly tough to make waves in DI. Will it be impossible, no it won't, but it will be markedly tougher than having a conference.

For the record, I believe USD would have finished middle of the pack in the summit league, maybe around 4th or 5th. I have to believe they would have beaten the likes of SUU and Centenary, but would have struggled against the Oaklands, Oral Roberts, NDSU's, and yes even the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Here's what I find interesting about all of this: Two sets of people are arguing about two divisions of athletics. One set has actually seen its teams compete at both levels. The other has seen only the lower level and is speculating about the quality of the higher level. Who should we believe? There's a basic question of credibility. Is credibility enhanced when it is backed up by experience? I would say so.

Some USD fans, however, are operating from a position of insecurity (they don't really KNOW what will happen in DI). So they puff up their chests and make declarations about another level of competition that their teams haven't experienced. Sure, your football team played a couple of FCS games in the last two years, and lost both handily. Your WBB team scrimmaged a D1 team once. None of that substitutes for the reality of competing day-in and day-out for several years as SDSU's teams have done.

I would suggest that those Coyote fans take a breath and stop trying to elevate your program (and division) by denigrating ours. We'll see what happens soon enough. I, for one, am not rooting for your programs to fail. Why should I hope for bad experiences for your student athletes?

But let's just admit now that the experience of competing at both levels for several years lends some credibility to SDSU fans' arguments about the relative competition in DII vs. DI.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake View Post
                  The SDSU and USD women had three common opponents this year ... USD defeated Creighton in a scrimage in Omaha, defeated Northern Iowa in exhibition 76-46 in Cedar Falls and SW Minn. State 75-65 in Vermillion with reserves playing the majority of the second half.
                  You left out the only comparison that really matters:

SDSU won a national championship. USD didn't.
                  @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                  --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                    You left out the only comparison that really matters:

SDSU won a national championship. USD didn't.

Your response is not relevant to the comments that you responded to. This is regarding common opponents not who did or didn't win a national title.
                    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      It's dangerous to "live by the three" and USD proved that. Also did Duke in the men's NCAA, which I still can't believe everyone of their shooters all of a sudden went ice cold, but what is done is done.

I also believe Florida Gulf Coast won their regular season conference (or finished second) to secure their bid to the WNIT. The fact that USD will not have a conference will make it doubly tough to make waves in DI. Will it be impossible, no it won't, but it will be markedly tougher than having a conference.

For the record, I believe USD would have finished middle of the pack in the summit league, maybe around 4th or 5th. I have to believe they would have beaten the likes of SUU and Centenary, but would have struggled against the Oaklands, Oral Roberts, NDSU's, and yes even the Jackrabbits.
                      USD had many games where they didn't make threes and didn't die by the three either. If USD is going to run an offense that relies mostly on dribble penetration and three point shooting (as long as the looks are good looks) and it results in making the championship game I guess they didn't do much dying by the three. I would rather not make a high percentage of threes and have a good defense than have a team with holes on defense that plays a post up game. Often times an open three is a higher percentage shot than a 10 foot fall away jumper over 2 defenders.
                      How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Your response is not relevant to the comments that you responded to. This is regarding common opponents not who did or didn't win a national title.
                        I guess I will take the National Championship Title over playing common opponents anytime.

Comment

And talking about a scrimmage is relevant? Wow.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                            And talking about a scrimmage is relevant? Wow.
                            We talkin bout practice? Not a game, not a game, not a game......
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I can reason with your posts often Coyote Fan, but you only respond to the posts you choose, and obviously pick ones that are easy for you to disect. The posts that actually present factual information or sound argument that is against your point are ignored. I'll admit, it's a very convenient posting philosophy for you, being the drive by poster that you are.

It's kind of like picking a fight with the smallest kid in the class and acting tough about it all week.
                              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                                It's kind of like picking a fight with the smallest kid in the class and acting tough about it all week.
                                Sounds like USD's football schedule the last 4 years.
                                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                                X