X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DII Women's Basketball National Championship

From the Argus: http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...25/1002/sports

My favorite quote from the article:

The Northern Kentucky Lady Norse (27-8) are making their seventh Elite Eight visit and their third appearance in the national title game. The Norse won in 2000 with a win over North Dakota State and lost in the 2003 finals to South Dakota State.

"We got a chance to see 'Jackrabbit Nation' in 2003," Norse coach Nancy Winstel said. "I imagine 'Coyote Nation' is going to be similar."

Coyote Nation? At the risk of crossing over into smack, I've never heard about nor have I witnessed "Coyote Nation".

Lastly, a quick recap of our last few years at DII all culminating with appearances in the National Tourney.

2001-02 28-9 Aaron Johnston North Central Regional Champion, Division II Semifinalist
    2002-03 32-3 Aaron Johnston NCC Co-Champion, North Central Regional Champion, NCAA Division II Champion
    2003-04 26-7 Aaron Johnston NCC Co-Champion, North Central Regional Champion
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: DII Women's Basketball National Championship

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    From the Argus:
    "We got a chance to see 'Jackrabbit Nation' in 2003," Norse coach Nancy Winstel said. "I imagine 'Coyote Nation' is going to be similar."
    Again, a bit smacky but you can bet Coyote "Nation" believes the same thing. The next few years are going to be interesting.

By the way, good luck to the Yotes tonight. I am pulling for them the same way I pull for the Bison. I hope they do well but I kringe at the response we will see from their "fans" if they do.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Looked like USD had a nice fan contingent there for the Delta State game. I'm sure they'll have plenty of fans on hand tonight. Good luck to them. I hope they win. It would be a good thing for girls and womens basketball in the state.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The game is on now. Looks like a good sized group of Coyote fans. USD leads 8-5 at the first media time out.

TODAY ONLY- Go Coyotes
        An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
        US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

USD has a great crowd there. I think USD is quite a bit more athletic that NKU. NKU has longer players but I don't think they are as talented as the yotes. USD should win this thing.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

They just showed a very short clip of the SDSU win over NKU 5 years ago in the championship game. Also mentioned the NKU coach's quote about "Jackrabbit Nation".

Coyotes trail 21-16 with 5 minutes left.
            An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley

Comment

I see they only have seating on one side of the gym, not makes the crowd look a little larger than it is.

I haven't seen USD play this year but based on what I'm seeing right now, we'd drill them. Jen, Maria, and Courtney would have their way inside and our back court would dominate as well. Not taking anything away from USD, they have a great DII team. They'll need to take it up a notch to compete at the next level.

Comment

I

I haven't seen USD play this year but based on what I'm seeing right now, we'd drill them. Jen, Maria, and Courtney would have their way inside and our back court would dominate as well. Not taking anything away from USD, they have a great DII team. They'll need to take it up a notch to compete at the next level.

That is an excellent and accurate assessment I believe. They'll need more skill and more speed.

Halftime - USD leads 26-23

Comment

I think Delta State, on the night they played USD, was a better team than Northern Kentucky appears to be tonight.

Other trivia about the Dakotas and Northern Kentucky. SDSU beat them in 03 as noted and the prior time Northern Kentucky was in the finals -- and won the title -- was in 2000 when they beat NDSU in overtime. I think the TV announcers have mentioned that game. Now, what they haven't said is USD grad assistant Coach Jaimie Berry (Jackrabbit QB Ryan's sister) was NDSU's lead scorer in the game, with 16 points and 10 rebounds. So, Jaimie's on the bench coaching, getting a little revenge against Northern Kentucky (I hope)!

[I sure don't want to take anything from USD but I agree with other posters. I think SDSU would handle this team pretty easily. USD has nowhere near the weapons SDSU has had for a few years and will continue to have for the foreseeable future. SDSU is the exceptional program in these parts...USD is still a good team but not at SDSU's level.]

Comment

I see they only have seating on one side of the gym, not makes the crowd look a little larger than it is.

I have seen them play 3 times and we would beat them by 20+. As for the championship game, I could give a s**t.

Comment

Oh...no. Northern Kentucky wins the DII National Championship. Ain't that a b.........

Comment

All I'll say, having been there when SDSU has both lost (men) and won (women) an national championship game . . .

Losing a national championship game hurts a LOT more than it feels good to win one. That's probably not fair, but that's how it is.

See you in D-I, Coyotes . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What I noticed about this game is that the play is much slower and passes are often not contested like what we saw in the Summit. Looks like the Coyotes do not claim a championship. NKU wins.

Comment

I tried to cheer for the Coyotes but I just couldn't do it. I did find it easy to cheer for Northern Kentucky though. I'm happy for USD and the season they had. They represented SD well. I'm also very happy the finished second. I think they were the better team but they just went ice cold in the second half.

Comment

Watched the game. Thought usd2 got the benefit of many close calls and no calls. We would kick them all over the place from the onset. They would not have to choke away a double digit lead against us. Congrats the NKU.

Comment

Working...
                              X