Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD 2008 FB Schedule

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
    ...also played UNI two years ago in Cedar Rapids with an agreement that UNI would play would also return the favor and play in Grand Forks in the near future.
    Actually its Cedar Falls, not Cedar Rapids. Easily mistaken though.

Comment

Personally, I give USD a pass on their year one transition schedule (to the extent I care at all, which is, again personally, not very much at all).
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Mary had an early opening a month or so ago. I suggested on AGS that that would be more fitting than an NAIA school. Probably more fitting than UMR too (I think they're changing their name to some tech-school sounding thing, stupid move).

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
          Mary had an early opening a month or so ago. I suggested on AGS that that would be more fitting than an NAIA school. Probably more fitting than UMR too (I think they're changing their name to some tech-school sounding thing, stupid move).
          http://www.mst.edu/

Missouri University of Science and Technology . . . or Missouri S & T (which sounds dreadful) for short.

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78 View Post
            http://www.mst.edu/

Missouri University of Science and Technology . . . or Missouri S & T (which sounds dreadful) for short.
            Or MUST. Part of this might be the University of Missouri-- Columbia's desire (acted on) to ditch the "Columbia". Expect UMKC and UM-St. Louis to possibly lose their status as well. University of Kansas City? and what for UMSL? Several years ago their was a move to downgrade them and combine them with Harris-Stowe Teacher's College (since, upgraded to a University I'm sure). Faculty members would answer the phone by saying "Harris-Stowe West", maybe that's in the future. Five years ago I would have picked them to join SIUE in going DI, but doubt the money's there now.

Comment

Hold on, let's be at least a little fair in reporting USD's past scheduling. THose games include in the last couple years trips to UCA, McNeese State, West Texas, and Colorado School of Mines. I also remember travelling out to Montana a few years back, not that I would expect a return game from them in this lifetime. To say USD played no road games leading up to transition is just wrong.

You all know to well the struggles of putting together a schedule the first year in transition, how quickly you forget. I also do remember State playing a home game just last year against a D3 school from Wisconsin, so it wasn't until just this year that you guys had a full slate of FCS games.

USD has put together a pretty impressive road schedule of FCS games for '08 that should pay dividends in home games in future years.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                Hold on, let's be at least a little fair in reporting USD's past scheduling. THose games include in the last couple years trips to UCA, McNeese State, West Texas, and Colorado School of Mines. I also remember travelling out to Montana a few years back, not that I would expect a return game from them in this lifetime. To say USD played no road games leading up to transition is just wrong.

You all know to well the struggles of putting together a schedule the first year in transition, how quickly you forget. I also do remember State playing a home game just last year against a D3 school from Wisconsin, so it wasn't until just this year that you guys had a full slate of FCS games.

USD has put together a pretty impressive road schedule of FCS games for '08 that should pay dividends in home games in future years.
                Gotta admit Yote53 has a point. Glass houses.

I recall games against Missouri-Rolla, William Penn, Valpo (0 scholarships). Not exactly murderer's row. It's a struggle to schedule when you're a non-counter. I have found it healthier not to think of that D3 Wisconsin school.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post

I think most of us recognize that we had the same struggles. I'm pretty sure plenty of USD fans were critical of our schedule just the same. That said, I'm not vocal about it because its expected. I'm pretty sure USD would play just about anybody, pretty sure.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'll put this out here so we can compare and contrast the two once USD's is out. Who knows, maybe their's will end up being better than our's in 2004.

2004 South Dakota State Football Schedule
                    Date Opponent Time
                    Sept. 4 at UC Davis* 6 p.m. (PT)
                    Sept. 11 WINONA STATE 7 p.m. (CT)
                    Sept. 18 WESTERN OREGON 7 p.m. CT)
                    Sept. 25 at Southern (La.) 7 p.m. (CT)
                    Oct. 2 at Cal Poly* 6 p.m. (PT)
                    Oct. 9 NORTH DAKOTA STATE* 7 p.m. (CT)
                    Oct. 16 OPEN
                    Oct. 23 at Montana State 1:05 p.m. (MT)
                    Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern 1 p.m. (ET)
                    Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA 2 p.m. (CT)
                    Nov. 13 at Southern Utah* 3 p.m. (MT)
                    Nov. 20 at Northern Colorado* Noon (MT)

Other than the fact the Jacks only had 4 home games it doesn't look to bad to me.

Go Jacks!!
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

The 04 Jackrabbit schedule was impressive. We picked up some weak games in following seasons. USD is having some scheduling problems this year but because of the Great West Football Conference, the Coyotes have a chance of better schedules in the next two or three years.

Getting quality home games is the challenge.

Comment

2005 Schedule
                        September
                        3 Wisconsin-LaCrosse, 7 p.m.
                        10 Valparaiso, 7 p.m.
                        17 at Montana, Missoula, MT, 1:05 p.m.
                        24 Cal Poly, 7 p.m.
                        October
                        1 at Texas State, San Marcos, TBA
                        8 UC Davis at Sioux Falls, 1 p.m.
                        15 open date
                        22 Missouri Rolla, Hobo Day, 2 p.m.
                        29 Georgia Southern, 1 p.m.
                        November
                        5 Southern Utah, 1 p.m.
                        12 at North Dakota State, Fargo, TBA
                        19 Northern Colorado, 1 p.m.

I would agree we had some week games with the first two(I still wouldn't have called UWL "weak" considering the conditions the game was played in), but we had 8 home games that year and a couple of very impressive names included in those.
                        This one really brings me back, as it was the first year that I became a "rabid" Jacks football fan!! I've not been the same since!

The more I look at these two...the more USD has A LOT to live up to, at least in my eyes!!

Comment

Sorry, I have to edit my previous post, 2005 was the first year we played UWL and beat them something like 45-0, it was the 2006 game against them we dare not speak of...

Go Jacks!!

Comment

A rabid Jacks football fan, propar, and a tailgater at the Mobile Command Center too!
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

USD 2008 Football Schedule

The following is from a post by Coyoteman over on the USD Board.

"USD has home games against St. Ambrose, Culver Stockton, Missouri Rolla, Southern Oregon and North Dakota. Road games against UNI, SE Louisiana, Montana St, Cal Poly and S. Utah. One more game to add. "

Comment

Re: USD 2008 Football Schedule

Could be worse . . . I think they have done pretty well with six FCS teams (counting UND to be charitable).
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X