Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wis.-Milwaukee news

Gentry news might pertain.

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Senior forward Torre Johnson, Wisconsin-Milwaukee's leading scorer and rebounder, was dismissed from the team Tuesday after being arrested early Saturday morning.

Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter also said that sophomore guard Roman Gentry left the team for personal reasons.

Johnson, a transfer from Oklahoma State, had been suspended in the immediate aftermath of his arrest on suspicion of battery. The 22-year-old Johnson allegedly hit a woman in the mouth and she needed 10 stitches, police said.

"I have had the chance to speak to Torre and express to him my extreme disappointment in his behavior," Jeter said in a statement. "The conversation also gave me the chance to tell him this was not something we could accept and that he would no longer be a part of our basketball team."

Johnson started all 10 games for the Panthers (3-7) and was averaging 17.8 points and 8.0 rebounds.

Jeter said Gentry wanted to return closer to home in Iowa.

Gentry, averaging 5.1 points per game, started the first four games this season, but played in limited minutes off the bench recently.

Just before the season began, Jeter tossed leading scorer Avery Smith off the team for an unspecified violation of team rules. Smith had been named to the Horizon League's preseason all-conference team.

The Panthers host Central Michigan on Wednesday night.

Johnson, charged Monday with substantial battery, was released on $1,000 signature bond and has a preliminary hearing scheduled Dec. 27 in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.

Re: Wis.-Milwaukee news

Originally posted by sfsd View Post

MILWAUKEE (AP) — Senior forward Torre Johnson, Wisconsin-Milwaukee's leading scorer and rebounder, was dismissed from the team Tuesday after being arrested early Saturday morning.

Milwaukee coach Rob Jeter also said that sophomore guard Roman Gentry left the team for personal reasons.

Johnson, a transfer from Oklahoma State, had been suspended in the immediate aftermath of his arrest on suspicion of battery. The 22-year-old Johnson allegedly hit a woman in the mouth and she needed 10 stitches, police said.

"I have had the chance to speak to Torre and express to him my extreme disappointment in his behavior," Jeter said in a statement. "The conversation also gave me the chance to tell him this was not something we could accept and that he would no longer be a part of our basketball team."

Johnson started all 10 games for the Panthers (3-7) and was averaging 17.8 points and 8.0 rebounds.

Gentry, averaging 5.1 points per game, started the first four games this season, but played in limited minutes off the bench recently.

Just before the season began, Jeter tossed leading scorer Avery Smith off the team for an unspecified violation of team rules. Smith had been named to the Horizon League's preseason all-conference team.

Johnson, charged Monday with substantial battery, was released on $1,000 signature bond and has a preliminary hearing scheduled Dec. 27 in Milwaukee County Circuit Court.
    Did Jeter recruit these guys? Didn't Gentry get booted from the Hawkeyes before? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I think Nidaros/Haldersham has said it before, its about recruiting good basketball players who are students and respectable citizens first. We all know some problems can't be anticipated. I hope things work out for Coach Jeter and the rest of the Panthers.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This may help some. He didn't get kicked off Iowa, he just decomitted from Northern Iowa.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418952

Comment

My spidey sense tells me that SFSD is trying to say something without really saying something.
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Can't say I know anything about where he's thinking of going, as I've been busy with other things. USD might be a logical, close-to-home choice now that it's going D-I, but he did have initial interest in SDSU. Here's his high school interest sheet:

http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176...=1&nid=1530588

Comment

This may help some. He didn't get kicked off Iowa, he just decomitted from Northern Iowa.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=418952
            Ah, now I recall. He and Sargent played against each other. Thanks for the facts. He would probably be a perfect fit for USD.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I believe that in the first year of the transition, with USD still classified as D-II, he'd be able to play there immediately. Or he could transfer to another D-I, sit out a year and retain two years' eligibility.

Comment

This sucks...Torre was really starting to play real well. Torre transferred from Oklahoma State (Milwaukee native) and Roman was one of Jeter's recruits.

Comment

Not sure we would have any interest anymore now that Garrett's brother is coming.

Comment

There was a lot of talk about Gentry leaving long before today's news. I don't think Jeter has yet to release him from his committment to UWM, so it will be interesting if he does decide to transfer. It's also interesting to see if Avery Smith turns up somewhere now that it is the transfer season in college basketball. Torre Johnson was playing extremely well. But, he is the one who put himself in the situation and decided to punch a young woman for whatever reason. Hard to feel bad for him when he does something that stupid.

I was at the UWM v. UW game last week and UWM is not playing very well. If we played them right now I think we'd win by double digits (before Torre was kicked off the team). They just don't have any flow, their guard play has regressed and Flowers barely plays. Besideds Johnson, they struggle to find anyone who can score or create a shot. If they win 5 more games this year it will be a miracle. It's hard to imagine this is the same program that was a legit NCAA contender just 3 years ago.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Too bad Paige Paulson decided to go that direction with his transfer, sounds like his senior year might turn out to be a dissapointment. Always hate to see that for a SD kid.
                      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                        Too bad Paige Paulson decided to go that direction with his transfer, sounds like his senior year might turn out to be a dissapointment. Always hate to see that for a SD kid.
                        And he's a really good kid. SDSU could use his leadership and outside shooting.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

To show you how things go, UWM beat a decent Central Michigan team last night that was coming off a big win at Michigan. College sports are the original reality TV.

Comment

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...b60017fa2a.txt

Gentry might end up at USD. I would say it is likely, seems like a natural fit. If he does, it's a good get for USD.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                              http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/arti...b60017fa2a.txt

Gentry might end up at USD. I would say it is likely, seems like a natural fit. If he does, it's a good get for USD.

Boots best enjoy this transfer, since this guy will be the last D-1 transfer he gets. Especially a D-1 transfer that may be playing for him next semester, since he is transferring from D-1 to D-2, which USD still is.
                              This is the ONLY reason they're getting this guy. Like I said, better enjoy it.

Go Jacks!!
                              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Working...
                              X