Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DII FB Championship

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
    It is interesting, since Yankton College closed and became a federal prison, the caliber of the tenants actually improved.
    Good One Jack4Life.
    A bit of history here. When Alzado was at Yankton, Northwestern College had a DT named Kel Korver, ( coaches nephew who was drafted in the first round by Oakland Raiders) he and Alzado would only meet up on special teams play. At the kickoffs Alzado would yell "Korver I'm going to kill you" and they would crash into each other like two bulls at battle.

Comment

Oopps. Realized after I logged off last night that it was only a semi-final game (wasn't paying too close of attention at the beginning).
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by boxerboy View Post
        Mel Tjeerdsma, coached for awhile also in NW Iowa. He coached at both Denison and Sioux Center high schools where if my memory is correct he won State championships with both. He was then the offensive coordinator for Northwestern College in the mid to latter parts of 1970's. He would have been willing to stay and be head coach there but he saw the handwriting on the wall with Larry Korver,(SDSU Grad) an institution still wanting to coach for quite sometime yet. I also had a class under Mel at Northwestern. He is an A1 classy and humble person all the way.
        I see in the local paper, Mel Tjeerdsma and Larry Korver will be Yankton Quarterback Club tomorrow. I don't go very often, since it is usually a Red and White rally, but think I will go and see what they have to say. I'll update the forum after the meeting tomorrow...

Comment

I see in the local paper, Mel Tjeerdsma and Larry Korver will be Yankton Quarterback Club tomorrow. I don't go very often, since it is usually a Red and White rally, but think I will go and see what they have to say. I'll update the forum after the meeting tomorrow...
          I'm down in Nebraska tomorrow or I would be there as well. Post a review if you get the chance.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Ask Mel how he enjoyed the last game they played in Brookings a few years back.
            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
              Ask Mel how he enjoyed the last game they played in Brookings a few years back.
              I won't get my butt kicked, will I? If the opportunity arises, I will...

Comment

I won't get my butt kicked, will I? If the opportunity arises, I will...
                I guess it was back in '03, the season opener. NW MO ST came in as a top 10 (maybe top 5) team. We shut 'em out 20-0.
                @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.

Comment

I guess it was back in '03, the season opener. NW MO ST came in as a top 10 (maybe top 5) team. We shut 'em out 20-0.
                  I remember that now. I'll see if I can be discriminate and ask him. I don't get a lot of sympathy at Quarterback Club since I ususally only show up when SDSU is in town...

Comment

Went to the Quarterback Club lunch today. It was like watching a living history lesson. Both Korver and Tjeerdsma did an excellent job. Both are very good speakers. Mel talked for about 35 minutes and it was like you just sat down. Mel is a very classy individual. Someone told me after the lunch that Mel was one of the finalists for the Udot job several years ago when they hired Austin or Crehan. I am very glad they did not get him. Probably the highlight of the day were all the men that came along with Mel and Larry. The person who has been a member the longest at Yankton Quarterback Club is Dwight Hauff of Hauff Sporting Goods in Sioux City. He is celebrating his 70th year in business and is still active in the business at 103 years of age. Although he uses a walker to get around, he still speaks like a person half his age. Bob Wilson, an old radio play-by-play announcer from Sioux City was also there. This is one of the best meetings I have attended at 1/4back club and Mel was certainly worth the visit.

Comment

Went to the Quarterback Club lunch today. It was like watching a living history lesson. Both Korver and Tjeerdsma did an excellent job. Both are very good speakers. Mel talked for about 35 minutes and it was like you just sat down. Mel is a very classy individual. Someone told me after the lunch that Mel was one of the finalists for the Udot job several years ago when they hired Austin or Crehan. I am very glad they did not get him. Probably the highlight of the day were all the men that came along with Mel and Larry. The person who has been a member the longest at Yankton Quarterback Club is Dwight Hauff of Hauff Sporting Goods in Sioux City. He is celebrating his 70th year in business and is still active in the business at 103 years of age. Although he uses a walker to get around, he still speaks like a person half his age. Bob Wilson, an old radio play-by-play announcer from Sioux City was also there. This is one of the best meetings I have attended at 1/4back club and Mel was certainly worth the visit.
                      Didn't Mel get his start at Northwestern of Iowa over in Orange City and coach their national championship years?
                      @JacksFanInNeb

Comment

Didn't Mel get his start at Northwestern of Iowa over in Orange City and coach their national championship years?
                        If I remember his story correctly, he was the offensive coordinator for Korver at that time.

Comment

Working...
                        X