DII FB Championship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DII FB Championship

Grand Valley vs NW Missouri State on ESPN2 right now. I know it's a lower division, but for me it's a football game.

Does anyone know when and/or why the DII title game moved from Alabama? They're playing at NW Missouri tonight. Great weather too, freezing rain and windy. Thank goodness for field turf.
    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Re: DII FB Championship

I decided to watch this for a while. Thinking I may be jinxing the Jacks listening to them. I will check the forum for updates and listen to the end.

Comment

Either of these teams could win the Great West. DII FB is just that good.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Either of these teams could win the Great West. DII FB is just that good.
        Now that NDSU and SDSU are gone, maybe. Still it hard to compare if you can't compare apples to apples...

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          Grand Valley vs NW Missouri State on ESPN2 right now. I know it's a lower division, but for me it's a football game.

Does anyone know when and/or why the DII title game moved from Alabama? They're playing at NW Missouri tonight. Great weather too, freezing rain and windy. Thank goodness for field turf.
          isnt it just a semifinal game? that is why it isnt in alabama?
          "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I believe it is a semi-final.

The coach for NW Missouri State is Mel Tjeerdsma. That name is familiar. Does he have any SD ties? Pretty common name in Bon Homme County, but still have heard of him before but can't place him.

Comment

Yes, he is from South Dakota. I think they had an article about it in the argus leader last year.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Tjeerdsma

Hey, he's on wikipedia. Born and raised in Springfield, SD. He attended Southern State.

Comment

Out of boredom I decided to read the Wikipedia Entries on Southern State. I find it kind of funny that Mel Tjeerdma is mentioned as the only notable alum. I thought that was kind of sad until I read the Yankton College entry and Lyle Alzado is the College's claim to fame.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                    isnt it just a semifinal game? that is why it isnt in alabama?
                    I think its just a semifinal game. They are televising them this year. Kind of suprised its not in Michigan. MW Missouri St must have the higher seed.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      Out of boredom I decided to read the Wikipedia Entries on Southern State. I find it kind of funny that Mel Tjeerdma is mentioned as the only notable alum. I thought that was kind of sad until I read the Yankton College entry and Lyle Alzado is the College's claim to fame.
                      It is interesting, since Yankton College closed and became a federal prison, the caliber of the tenants actually improved.

Comment

Tjeersma came to NW Missouri from Texas. He is an excellent coach who got his Master's and NW Missouri, and had a good experience in Maryville. When that job came open he took a program from an 0-11 season and has probably lost no more than 3 games a season since. I think he is getting close to retirement though. I think NW Missouri has taken steps to keep him. Talk to any fans from their and they will tell you Coach Mel is God. He has been there well over 10 years I believe as the first home and home was when Daly was coach.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I think its just a semifinal game. They are televising them this year. Kind of suprised its not in Michigan. MW Missouri St must have the higher seed.
                          I couldn't figure it out and still don't understand. According to the televised game, Grand Valley was seeded #1 and NWMS #5. Go figure???

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
                            I believe it is a semi-final.

The coach for NW Missouri State is Mel Tjeerdsma. That name is familiar. Does he have any SD ties? Pretty common name in Bon Homme County, but still have heard of him before but can't place him.
                            Mel Tjeerdsma, coached for awhile also in NW Iowa. He coached at both Denison and Sioux Center high schools where if my memory is correct he won State championships with both. He was then the offensive coordinator for Northwestern College in the mid to latter parts of 1970's. He would have been willing to stay and be head coach there but he saw the handwriting on the wall with Larry Korver,(SDSU Grad) an institution still wanting to coach for quite sometime yet. I also had a class under Mel at Northwestern. He is an A1 classy and humble person all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              I couldn't figure it out and still don't understand. According to the televised game, Grand Valley was seeded #1 and NWMS #5. Go figure???
                              Somehow strength of schedule is the determining factor here. GVSU fans were none too thrilled either. The problem for GVSU is their conference is no longer very strong and that has really hurt them here at the end of the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X