NIL and the NCAA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NIL and the NCAA

I did not want to muddy the waters by posting this in the football or basketball sections. According to this article, the NCAA is going to start pushing back on these large NIL/pay for play deals. For all of the mid-majors I hope they can slow this issue down and level the playing field somewhat.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ness-payments/
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Thank goodness for young men like Tucker Kraft. http://www.twitter.com/joedeleone/st...20318549749761

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Thank goodness for young men like Tucker Kraft. http://www.twitter.com/joedeleone/st...20318549749761
      Thank you for sharing this.

Kraft was already one of my favorite players to watch "trucking" defenders, and that clip where he mentions pride wearing the yellow and blue only serves to solidify his status as an "all-timer"

The current NIL environment is not sustainable, and I suspect Congressional intervention will be necessary to establish some competitive balance

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Thank you for sharing this.

Kraft was already one of my favorite players to watch "trucking" defenders, and that clip where he mentions pride wearing the yellow and blue only serves to solidify his status as an "all-timer"

The current NIL environment is not sustainable, and I suspect Congressional intervention will be necessary to establish some competitive balance
        OL coach Ryan Olson had posted a cryptic tweet a couple of days ago about " now the the tampering period is over", so I figured something like this was going on.

Comment

Seems like there should be some punishment from the ncaa for tampering. But with out a backbone Im sure that wont happen.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

So, is SDSU going to put together a list of donors that will pay an NIL so we can keep up with the Jonses/NDSUs of the world or are we ok with losing our studs and not getting the movers from the classes below us? I don't expect us to be able to pay what Alabama, Kansas, Tennessee would pay, but there will be a second tier of movement coming up from D-2 and horizontally from other FCS/mid-majors that we might have a shot at. Heck, disgruntled FBS players may make a move if the money is there.

A part of me likes saying f- that, we aren't going to pay players. Another part of me likes to watch teams that win.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

The NIL situation sucks and will have the biggest impact in MBB. Will have an impact in football as well.

Outside of the Baylor situation you could argue the portal/transfer has been very beneficial to SDSU MBB. In the last decade we have had George Marshall, Deondre Parks, Cody Larson, Michael Orris, Charlie Easley, and now Matthew Mors come to SDSU, No doubt leaving a couple out. Yes, Noah moved on as well but that isn't because of an NIL deal. Others that didn't see playing time have moved on as well.

If our programs continue to be successful, we will be a great option for athletes looking for a better opportunity than their current situation.

SDSU is in about as good of a situation as possible to deal with it since we are highly successful in the major sports. School like UND, UNO, UMKC, WiU will really struggle with getting people to transfer in to their schools.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                So, is SDSU going to put together a list of donors that will pay an NIL so we can keep up with the Jonses/NDSUs of the world or are we ok with losing our studs and not getting the movers from the classes below us? I don't expect us to be able to pay what Alabama, Kansas, Tennessee would pay, but there will be a second tier of movement coming up from D-2 and horizontally from other FCS/mid-majors that we might have a shot at. Heck, disgruntled FBS players may make a move if the money is there.

A part of me likes saying f- that, we aren't going to pay players. Another part of me likes to watch teams that win.
                Assuming the NIL stuff does not get restricted or altered soon (and there is a lot of momentum to put more restrictions on it because everyone knows this isn’t sustainable), you better believe we need to start paying up if we want to attract and keep good players. We are never going to be able to pay P5 money, but we need to pay enough to stay competitive in our leagues and subdivision. And that probably means 6 figures for some of your top guys. For the record, I hate the NIL stuff and have always been opposed to paying players. Stipends and cuts from bookstore merchandise are one thing, but the Co-Op stuff is terrible. With that being said, if that’s the new game, we either play it to win it, or we feel good about ourselves while we watch all of our programs slide into mediocrity.

Comment

Myah must have struck a deal with Stoneybrook Suites. Saw her in a commercial last night. She talked about playing for SDSU but was in "plain" clothes. Anyone know anything more about it?

Comment

LSU women's basketball is about to buy a national title with their recent acquisition. Funny, the top salary in the WNBA is Arike Ogunbowale of Dallas is making around $240,000 a year. Angel Reese of LSU is at about $1.5 million and counting. NIL money and the transfer portal are taking a toll on my interest in collegiate sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                      LSU women's basketball is about to buy a national title with their recent acquisition. Funny, the top salary in the WNBA is Arike Ogunbowale of Dallas is making around $240,000 a year. Angel Reese of LSU is at about $1.5 million and counting. NIL money and the transfer portal are taking a toll on my interest in collegiate sports.
                      I thought I had heard that real money in women's basketball was always over seas...especially in Russia. Putin made the various Oligarchs provide a **** ton of money to promote support for various sports (including women's basketball) in exchange for the lucrative industries like oil, steel, etc. Do many WNBA players get promotional deals? If we are going to compare salaries of WNBA to college players we need to include WNBA salaries along with promotional stuff they do away from the cpurt.
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I think more people watch women’s college basketball than the WNBA so it wouldn’t shock me if college athletes are making more than the pros…

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          Seems like there should be some punishment from the ncaa for tampering. But with out a backbone Im sure that wont happen.
                          Found this on Reddit while trying to keep tabs on the latest PAC 12 news.

Former JMU coach Mike Houston is at East Carolina. His player (not in the portal) was contacted by an unnamed school; ECU contacted the school in question and asked them to stop. It didn't, so they turned in the school to the NCAA for tampering. As someone mentioned, this could be the first instance of a school being officially reported for this, so it'll be interesting to see if anything happens.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post

Found this on Reddit while trying to keep tabs on the latest PAC 12 news.

Former JMU coach Mike Houston is at East Carolina. His player (not in the portal) was contacted by an unnamed school; ECU contacted the school in question and asked them to stop. It didn't, so they turned in the school to the NCAA for tampering. As someone mentioned, this could be the first instance of a school being officially reported for this, so it'll be interesting to see if anything happens.

Very interested in the details of the contact made. I've often seen player-to-player contact as a potential loophole, and the host indicated it was members of another program, which could mean non-coaching staff.

I also remember JMU benefitting considerably from transfers, so it would be interesting to see both how those transpired and how Houston's "tattling," as the host referred to it, may impact other coaches' scrutiny of ECU practices.

Comment

from the Editor In Chief for College Football at the Athletic:
                              "Unless you're knee deep in state-by-state NIL laws, you likely missed that Missouri now allows high-school seniors to make money ... IF they pick an-in state school. Lo and behold, Mizzou landed a 5-star this week."

Comment

Working...
                              X