Conference Merry Go Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Merry Go Round

Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC has set into motion a lot of turmoil in other conferences in a mad dash to retain members and to remain relevant. The dominos are really starting to fall in many conferences and it will be interesting to see how it impacts the FCS division. That picture is starting to become more clear today as the Atlantic Athletic Conference (AAC) has announced the addition of six teams after Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF all announced their intention to leave the AAC.

[url}American Athletic Conference expands to 14 teams for football, adding six Conference USA programs - CBSSports.com{/url]

It appears the first teams from the FCS are close to moving up to the FBS division. James Madison is widely being speculated as a target to move up to FBS.

[url}The latest round of FBS realignment could hinge on a school that's not even in FBS (msn.com){/url}

The Sun Belt is being rumored as trying to lure Southern Miss, Marshall, and Old Dominion from Conference USA which leaves them with 5 teams. What would happen next is anyone's guess. It could mean overtones to several FCS schools. No doubt the Bison fans are salivating at the chance to move up. It is part of their ascent to assume their "rightful place" amongst the BCS elite. Seriously, that is what many of them think.

It is still largely speculative but the announcement of the moves by the AAC will put a lot of things in place. Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. Where will SDSU end up? Would FCS be as much fun for the Jacks without James Madison and NDSU?

Right now we just need to focus on going 1-0!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    Oklahoma and Texas moving to the SEC has set into motion a lot of turmoil in other conferences in a mad dash to retain members and to remain relevant. The dominos are really starting to fall in many conferences and it will be interesting to see how it impacts the FCS division. That picture is starting to become more clear today as the Atlantic Athletic Conference (AAC) has announced the addition of six teams after Houston, Cincinnati, and UCF all announced their intention to leave the AAC.

[url}American Athletic Conference expands to 14 teams for football, adding six Conference USA programs - CBSSports.com{/url]

It appears the first teams from the FCS are close to moving up to the FBS division. James Madison is widely being speculated as a target to move up to FBS.

[url}The latest round of FBS realignment could hinge on a school that's not even in FBS (msn.com){/url}

The Sun Belt is being rumored as trying to lure Southern Miss, Marshall, and Old Dominion from Conference USA which leaves them with 5 teams. What would happen next is anyone's guess. It could mean overtones to several FCS schools. No doubt the Bison fans are salivating at the chance to move up. It is part of their ascent to assume their "rightful place" amongst the BCS elite. Seriously, that is what many of them think.

It is still largely speculative but the announcement of the moves by the AAC will put a lot of things in place. Going to be interesting to see how it shakes out. Where will SDSU end up? Would FCS be as much fun for the Jacks without James Madison and NDSU?

Right now we just need to focus on going 1-0!

SUPERBUNNY
    Nothing is saying the Bison couldn't still occasionally schedule the Jacks. Hopefully the Jacks aren't only concerned with keeping up with the Bison at the risk of program sustainability.

Comment

Tea leaves I'm reading says that JMU will make the move and NDSU, well, won't, because, geography.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Maybe the whole MVFC will move up the FBS...
        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
          Maybe the whole MVFC will move up the FBS...
          It'd mean saying goodbye to WIU, YSU, and Indiana State (and I realize your post was likely in jest)

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Tea leaves I'm reading says that JMU will make the move and NDSU, well, won't, because, geography.
            What might the tea leaves say about Jacks moving up if/when NDSU could?

Not sure if you've read this, but the comments about JMU's potential impact on Delaware's ascension seem highly relevant to Jacks vis a vis Bison

Comment

I would hope we would consider moving up to a FBS conference with NDSU and stay in the Summit for everything else. I think the FCS is going to get very watered down.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                I would hope we would consider moving up to a FBS conference with NDSU and stay in the Summit for everything else. I think the FCS is going to get very watered down.
                I would not be the one to say "It will never happen." It would take some very large, or should I say huge, amounts of money to make the leap. It would also likely have some strings to be attached to the rest of the athletic programs that are not wrestling. It is not likely SDSU would be getting into a good flow of TV money to balance the increase of expenses. It is possible that the athletes could be lured into Brookings for a competitive G5 program. That part is not hurdle.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I thought I read about a seating requirement to move to FBS. Is that a thing? Are there other requirements besides the 85 full scholarships plus the same number on the women's side?

I found this if anybody cares. http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/AMA/Division...2%208%2010.pdf
                  Last edited by ringthebells; 10-22-2021, 11:22 AM. Reason: added link

Comment

1. Sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity intercollegiate sports, including football, based on the minimum sports sponsorship and scheduling requirements set forth in Bylaw 20. Sponsorship shall include a minimum six sports involving all male teams or mixed teams (males and females), and a minimum of eight varsity intercollegiate teams involving all female teams. Institutions may use up to two emerging sports to satisfy the required eight varsity intercollegiate sports involving all female teams. [Bylaw 20.9.7.1]

2. Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]

3. Average at least 15,000 in actual or paid attendance for all home football contests over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.3]

4. Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(a)]

5. Annually offer a minimum of 200 athletics grants-in-aid or expend at least four million dollars on grants-in-aid to student-athletes in athletics programs. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(b)]

Comment

#3 Seems to be rarely enforced. I woonder ifwe can offset the additional 20 scholarships and other expenses such as equalizing title IX implications with added revenue share and million dollar plus paydays for Power 5 games.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        #3 Seems to be rarely enforced. I woonder ifwe can offset the additional 20 scholarships and other expenses such as equalizing title IX implications with added revenue share and million dollar plus paydays for Power 5 games.
                        If I recall correctly, there are a number of MAC schools which fairly regularly get waivers of the 15,000 average home game attendance. Not sure if a brand-new FCS to FBS mover would get the same gentle treatment from the NCAA. I know that one or more of them have in the past scheduled a "home game" in places like Ford Field in Detroit to give their "home" attendance a major boost to get them over the attendance requirement minimum.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

What might the tea leaves say about Jacks moving up if/when NDSU could?

Not sure if you've read this, but the comments about JMU's potential impact on Delaware's ascension seem highly relevant to Jacks vis a vis Bison
                          Tea leaves say "Nope" unless you know of a multimillonaire SDSU donor who's willing to spend really, really, really big bucks to make it happen. I mean, it ***could*** happen, but . . . I'm going with "nope" here.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Not sure it matters long term it will sort it self out. You will have the haves and have nots and doesnt matter division or level it will be money based. The top achools revenue and donor money will create its one division or affiliation and the rest will all play for scraps.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Tea leaves say "Nope" unless you know of a multimillonaire SDSU donor who's willing to spend really, really, really big bucks to make it happen. I mean, it ***could*** happen, but . . . I'm going with "nope" here.
                              I'd prefer the Jacks remain FCS, as I don't view a move to FBS as sustainable given geographic and revenue constraints.

I could be in the minority, but I see little to no reason to follow NDSU just because both schools chose to transition to Division 1 together.

Comment

Working...
                              X