Covid-19 and College Athletics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid-19 and College Athletics

Interesting read on how the disease may affect college athletics going forward. http://www.startribune.com/gophers-a...rts/569486202/

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Interesting read on how the disease may affect college athletics going forward. http://www.startribune.com/gophers-a...rts/569486202/
    Moody's wasn't optimistic regarding higher ed. in general given possible impacts on enrollment, etc.

The other issue is that state governors may rescind stay-at-home orders on varied timeframes, so even traveling to those states to play in an empty stadium would be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Moody's wasn't optimistic regarding higher ed. in general given possible impacts on enrollment, etc.

The other issue is that state governors may rescind stay-at-home orders on varied timeframes, so even traveling to those states to play in an empty stadium would be an issue.

could help the airlines industry get back on track, provided proper precautions were put into place, ….sanitizing planes and arenas and testing before being allowed to board plane ( they have 5 min test?).

Comment

We could see the teams return to campus on June1.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Looks like 'Yotes' game at ISU will likely be at half capacity.

Wonder if similar strategy will be used in Brookings for Butler game.

Comment

Looks like 'Yotes' game at ISU will likely be at half capacity.

Wonder if similar strategy will be used in Brookings for Butler game.
            If this is a strategy to be able to play games it will be interesting to see what schools that have season ticket sales over 50% of their capacity will do.

Comment

Ohio State has mentioned using their points system to prioritize access.

A related question is what percentage of season ticket holders will opt not to attend.

Comment

Ohio State has mentioned using their points system to prioritize access.

A related question is what percentage of season ticket holders will opt not to attend.
                I'm guessing many will opt not to attend, but I would guess they'll be selling their tickets for a pretty penny with a limited number available. Crazy to think that someone with season tickets and lower priority may have to keep them in order to keep building priority, but purchase tickets on top of their season tickets just to go to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I'm guessing many will opt not to attend, but I would guess they'll be selling their tickets for a pretty penny with a limited number available. Crazy to think that someone with season tickets and lower priority may have to keep them in order to keep building priority, but purchase tickets on top of their season tickets just to go to the game.
                  I'd hope that those those having requisite priority level but not planning to attend due to COVID would have option of "tolling" their priority ranking until 2021 while opening up the seats for lower priority individuals who would attend.

An alternative would be to allow folks to forego any refund if they won't attend games this season due to safety concerns to allow receipt of a credit for 2021 tickets. Then their seats could be available for 2020 only.

Comment

I try this again. I just read on a FCS Facebook group that Eastern Washington was in financial trouble. Here is the link. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...risis-due-to-/

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      I try this again. I just read on a FCS Facebook group that Eastern Washington was in financial trouble. Here is the link. https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...risis-due-to-/
                      Wright State is being affected, too. Dropping softball and men's and women's tennis. They will need to pursue a waiver from the NCAA to continue as a D1 institution because this does not meet the needed team requirements.

https://wsuraiders.com/news/2020/6/3...m-changes.aspx
                      Rollin' in my 5.0
                      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

Wright State is being affected, too. Dropping softball and men's and women's tennis. They will need to pursue a waiver from the NCAA to continue as a D1 institution because this does not meet the needed team requirements.

The NCAA will no doubt be receive a bunch of waivers to consider. I assume all is well at SDSU so far. I have heard that if season play is cancelled, those who have prepaid will not get refunds in the mail. The prepaid revenue will be applied to next year. So SDSU would have free use of prepaid season tickets money for a year. Not ideal but that is most likely how it will work. Nothing official, but don’t be surprised if it works out this way.

Comment

The NCAA will no doubt be receive a bunch of waivers to consider. I assume all is well at SDSU so far. I have heard that if season play is cancelled, those who have prepaid will not get refunds in the mail. The prepaid revenue will be applied to next year. So SDSU would have free use of prepaid season tickets money for a year. Not ideal but that is most likely how it will work. Nothing official, but don’t be surprised if it works out this way.

The story you originally linked to includes a link to this article, which mentions faculty at EWU advocating drop to DII or DIII, while such extreme moves seem highly unlikely, it's telling that the university's own faculty are advocating it, and it seems likely they'd find support among fiscally austere legislators and alumni.

Filbert mentioned distance/online learning as a focal point, and assuming it is, the budget dynamics of those course offerings, reduced room/board, etc. could only exacerbate strife between athletics and academics.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

Non-football schools must be really feeling the pinch. With basketball being their only real revenue producing sport, not getting that share of the pie from the NCAA tournament has to be a big blow.

Comment

ISU seems to be handling ticket refunds considerably differently, even going so far as to allow those who purchase 2020 season tickets and later decide they are uncomfortable attending to receive refunds.

Comment

Working...
                              X