Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD -UCA game

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
    What I mean is that the Jacks level of play at home vs their level of play on the road is not as great of a difference as is USD's.  Meaning that USD plays awsome football at home and mediocre football on the road.  SDSU is a good home team that plays a bit better on it's home field than on the road.  It's just that the difference is not as great.  
    Actually, SDSU's road record has been close to terrible over the Stig years. We're 40-14 at home and 16-32 on the road. Although, we have had a couple of big road wins lately.

Comment

I think at the beginning at the season Stig said they were 3 to 4 game where they lost but were maybe two to three plays away from winning. This season they were working on pulling the close games out and that happened in the Mc Neese game. Thanks for the road vs home record Rabbit, it does not show a good road record, but the last years in the NCC we lost all up in ND. The road record is worse than I had thought.

Comment

Turnovers are a part of the game, too. We've all played woulda-shoulda-coulda regarding turnovers at one time or another, but the scoreboard doesn't care--scoring points is the goal of the game, not gaining more yards than the opponent.

How many of those turnovers were due to a UCA team that hit the Coyotes harder than they're used to being hit? I don't know. But turnovers don't just happen. If they're unforced, you have to look at concentration/focus, or at skill level/execution. If they're forced, you have to look at what the other team did to force them.

Given the Coyotes' success the past couple of years, I think you give the Coyotes credit for skill level/execution. So, my guess for why the turnovers happened (not having seen the game), would be some combination of 1) UCA speed and/or physical play, then 2) USD concentration/focus. You give up either one of those to an opponent and you're likely to have a long day.

I think the message for SDSU next week is that UCA is a pretty good team that's coming off a nice win against another pretty good team.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
          Turnovers are a part of the game, too.  We've all played woulda-shoulda-coulda regarding turnovers at one time or another, but the scoreboard doesn't care--scoring points is the goal of the game, not gaining more yards than the opponent.

How many of those turnovers were due to a UCA team that hit the Coyotes harder than they're used to being hit?  I don't know.  But turnovers don't just happen.  If they're unforced, you have to look at concentration/focus, or at skill level/execution.  If they're forced, you have to look at what the other team did to force them.  

Given the Coyotes' success the past couple of years, I think you give the Coyotes credit for skill level/execution.  So, my guess for why the turnovers happened (not having seen the game), would be some combination of 1) UCA speed and/or physical play, then 2) USD concentration/focus.  You give up either one of those to an opponent and you're likely to have a long day.

I think the message for SDSU next week is that UCA is a pretty good team that's coming off a nice win against another pretty good team.
          Hear that filbert!!!

I do like the fact that our guys are playing with an "Us against the world" attitude after the rough start! They won't be looking past the next play, let alone the next game!

See you at the Beef Bowl!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

1 game doesn't make a season.

Obviously with the way the Jacks season has gone you can't just look at a team by one game.  If that was the case your team would have been burried after game 1.    
            Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are the same person who couldn't wait to get on our forum to start a thread stating that because of 1 game (the UWL loss) it was obvious that USD could step into the 1AA scene and have no problems. You also stated that because of one game (the UWL loss) all of our claims that D1AA football is simply a faster game with better athletes was bunk. There is still no excuse for us losing to UWL, but maybe your loss to UCA will serve as a reminder that maybe there is an actual difference between D2 and D1AA.

By the way, turnovers are generally the result of the a couple factors. (1)The offense being frustrated by the defense and related to that, (2) the overall speed of the defense putting the offense into bad situations. USD hung with UCA in yardage, but the speed of UCA and poor decisions by the USD QB ended up with a 24-0 score. 24-0 is not a fluke.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

filbert - great minds think alike
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Based on this weekends game Augie is a top DII team.  Yeah right.

The night we lost to UW-L we found out one hell of a lot of things about SDSU's football team.  What we didn't find out was whether or not USD could compete against DI programs.

This weekend we found out USD couldn't compete against a fledgling DI program.  SDSU defeated a well-established, highly ranked DI program with expectations of a conference championsip this year.  We did it on the road as our 4th straight road game and second consecutive victory against ranked opponents.

Head-to-head there is no comparison between DII and DI, its that simple.  UND can suprise UNI just like UW-L can suprise SDSU but they won't compete consistently.  If that can't be recognized then ignorance truly is bliss.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think we have USD figured out now, and if they step into D1AA, many many changes will have to occur. If more USD losses occur , it will not be long before Coyote Fan throws Meirekort under the bus and maybe under the same wheel where he threw John Austin.  

I do expect a whale of a game out of UCA. Some one has said they might be better than McNeese and Nicholls both, and maybe the best in the Southland. What we do know is that they have all 63 scholarships funded in their first year. Many of those would have gone to true freshman and most of the veterans are now on full ride. I think this year will be our best chance of beating them, as who knows what kind of talent they picked and are now probably red shirted true freshman.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that fully funded programs with 63 scholarships are not always successful. I still cringe when I think of the losses on the road to Chadron State and Winona. Both these schools had excellent coaching and many, many fewer scholarships than SDSU. Also our travel buddy NDSU has had 63 since day one in which we beat them once, and have been more than competitive in the other games. I dont think we can pick wins and losses based on the number of scholarships.  It has to do with players motivation and good coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                    I think we have USD figured out now, and if they step into D1AA, many many changes will have to occur. If more USD losses occur , it will not be long before Coyote Fan throws Meirekort under the bus and maybe under the same wheel where he threw John Austin.  

I do expect a whale of a game out of UCA. Some one has said they might be better than McNeese and Nicholls both, and maybe the best in the Southland. What we do know is that they have all 63 scholarships funded in their first year. Many of those would have gone to true freshman and most of the veterans are now on full ride. I think this year will be our best chance of beating them, as who knows what kind of talent they picked and are now probably red shirted true freshman.

I think the biggest thing to remember is that fully funded programs with 63 scholarships are not always successful. I still cringe when I think of the losses on the road to Chadron State and Winona. Both these schools had excellent coaching and many, many fewer scholarships than SDSU. Also our travel buddy NDSU has had 63 since day one in which we beat them once, and have been more than competitive in the other games. I dont think we can pick wins and losses based on the number of scholarships.  It has to do with players motivation and good coaching.
                    This is the first year for a full 63. I think we had 55 or 56 in 2004 - 59 or 60 in 2005 and 63 this year.

Comment

Bison Dan:

Thanks for the correction. I had thought NDSU had followed the same path as UCA, but that apparently is not quiet true. There are some programs that are not doing all that well with 85 scholies. So it comes back to good coaching and motivation on the field that wins games.

Comment

The simple idea that I am trying to get across is that you can't judge a season by one game. I believe in my initial post on this thread I stated that there was no excuse for the loss, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't talk about the reasons for the loss or point out some good things that were done in the game as well. I think if anyone wanted to talk to SDSU fans about the Lacrosse game they would tell you that there was no excuse for the loss but also there were some very strange conditions with the field etc that led to a score that might have been a bit deceiving. There were also alot of factors that led to UCA winning 24-0. UCA fans all said that they were very impressed with the Coyote defense. It's even on the story on their home page about the game. You can disagree with me all you want to but usually in a game where the difference between D1AA and D2 could be measured you would often look to things like total yardage as an important measuring stick to the teams. Obviously the score is more important and so are turnovers etc. I just think that from a mere talent perspective that yardage totals are a big factor of gaging how teams compete with each other. As I said turnovers and penalties are alot important and are somewhat connected to talent but those factors are probably more associated with things such as experience level, coaching, being at home or on the road and other intangibles not necessarily associated with a difference in talent level.

USD should not be judged on their ability to compete at the D1AA level by just one game, especially one where the conditions associated are going to obviously favor one team. Obviously UND more than held their own against UNI but they haven't played very well since then. Central Wash beat a D1AA team but that isn't going to help them next week when all the intangible factors will be against them and in favor of USD. Not all D1AA teams are created equal. USD won't really be able to tell how they will compete against D1AA as a whole until they play a season against the division. When they have a chance to have some home games and road games and get to play a wide variety of teams. If SDSU was judged by their first game in D1AA they lost quite badly in that game if I recall. They became more accustomed to the division and have improved in their preperation etc. Maybe we will never really know if USD stays D2 but most likely they will go D1 and the argument will start to become a moot point because the U will be able to prove it or not on the field.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

The simple idea that I am trying to get across is that you can't judge a season by one game. I believe in my initial post on this thread I stated that there was no excuse for the loss, but that doesn't mean one shouldn't talk about the reasons for the loss or point out some good things that were done in the game as well. I think if anyone wanted to talk to SDSU fans about the Lacrosse game they would tell you that there was no excuse for the loss but also there were some very strange conditions with the field etc that led to a score that might have been a bit deceiving. There were also alot of factors that led to UCA winning 24-0. UCA fans all said that they were very impressed with the Coyote defense. It's even on the story on their home page about the game. You can disagree with me all you want to but usually in a game where the difference between D1AA and D2 could be measured you would often look to things like total yardage as an important measuring stick to the teams. Obviously the score is more important and so are turnovers etc. I just think that from a mere talent perspective that yardage totals are a big factor of gaging how teams compete with each other. As I said turnovers and penalties are alot important and are somewhat connected to talent but those factors are probably more associated with things such as experience level, coaching, being at home or on the road and other intangibles not necessarily associated with a difference in talent level.

USD should not be judged on their ability to compete at the D1AA level by just one game, especially one where the conditions associated are going to obviously favor one team. Obviously UND more than held their own against UNI but they haven't played very well since then. Central Wash beat a D1AA team but that isn't going to help them next week when all the intangible factors will be against them and in favor of USD. Not all D1AA teams are created equal. USD won't really be able to tell how they will compete against D1AA as a whole until they play a season against the division. When they have a chance to have some home games and road games and get to play a wide variety of teams. If SDSU was judged by their first game in D1AA they lost quite badly in that game if I recall. They became more accustomed to the division and have improved in their preperation etc. Maybe we will never really know if USD stays D2 but most likely they will go D1 and the argument will start to become a moot point because the U will be able to prove it or not on the field.
                          You earned instant respect from me by using the word "moot" correctly. Must be that in-state college education.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

And, actually, SDSU's first game against a full I-AA opponent was vs. Southern, which was a win 31-24. That unfortunate outing Coyote_Fan is probably referring to was the 2004 season opener vs. UC Davis. Davis, while a year ahead of SDSU in the transition was not a full D-I institution at the time.

If you're counting games against transitional I-AA schools, you'd have to count the 2003 game vs. NDSU as the first SDSU game as I-AA vs. a I-AA opponent. Of course, since that was a 24-0 loss (hmm, something familiar about that score ;-) ) you'd have to say the outing was less than successful. Unless you're Coyote_Fan, I guess.

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                              Based on this weekends game Augie is a top DII team.  Yeah right.

The night we lost to UW-L we found out one hell of a lot of things about SDSU's football team.  What we didn't find out was whether or not USD could compete against DI programs.

This weekend we found out USD couldn't compete against a fledgling DI program.  SDSU defeated a well-established, highly ranked DI program with expectations of a conference championsip this year.  We did it on the road as our 4th straight road game and second consecutive victory against ranked opponents.

Head-to-head there is no comparison between DII and DI, its that simple.  UND can suprise UNI just like UW-L can suprise SDSU but they won't compete consistently.  If that can't be recognized then ignorance truly is bliss.
                              With this line of thinking, State can't compete at the DIII level since they lost to UW-L. Should they drop down to NAIA? Doubt it, but it might be a lot of fun for you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by StormnNorman
                                With this line of thinking, State can't compete at the DIII level since they lost to UW-L.  Should they drop down to NAIA?  Doubt it, but it might be a lot of fun for you guys.
                                Who are you guys and can you say missed that one by a mile? How about, right over your head with that quip? Maybe, not the sharpest knife in the drawer would work.

Point being, one game doesn't define anything. Sarcasm aside (I guess I have no choice).
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X