X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USD -UCA game

For the Augie Game.

Salem needs to nut up and go for it!!!

We did against them (Augie) when I was a senior and no one on the Jacks sideline had any problem with it. We were going to win or lose, but we were doing it together.

Comment

It appears (by stats) that USD did not play that bad, but with 5 turnovers and 9 penalties your shooting yourself in the foot. That is not a lot of penalties but if they are at the wrong time, plus your on the road before 10,415 fans at Estes Stadium. Turnovers speak for themselves.

I also asume that the Bears are a little faster than the Coyotes. Speed is hard to adapt to at first. Turnovers are a killer. Plus the Bears pass completion percentage was good, not many yards but hit their targets. A good chance the Bears played on a short field. I think the Jacks will do well next week if they just play ball and don't over look the Bears.

Team Stat Comparison
      ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxsco...&confId=32

1st Downs
      USD 14
      CAU 15

3rd down efficiency
      USD 7-14
      CAU 4-12

4th down efficiency
      USD 0-2
      CAU 0-2

Total Yards
      USD 310
      CAU 253

Passing
      USD 125
      CAU 168

Comp-Att
      USD 10-26
      CAU 21-30

Yards per pass
      USD 4.8
      CAU 5.6

Rushing
      USD 185
      CAU 85

Rushing Attempts
      USD 35
      CAU 22

Yards per rush
      USD 5.3    
      CAU 3.9

Penalties
      USD 9-81
      CAU 6-72

Turnovers
      USD 5
      CAU 0

Fumbles lost
      USD 3
      CAU 0

Interceptions thrown
      USD 2
      CAU 0

Possession
      USD 31:02
      CAU 28:58

Comment

UCA IMPROVES TO 4-1
        FOOTBALL • Sep 30, 2006
        http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?a...p;article=1482

Senior wide receiver Aaron Fairooz blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown in UCA's 24-0 win over South Dakota.
        CONWAY, Ark _ The University of Central Arkansas Bears were opportunistic on both sides of the ball and even on special teams Saturday afternoon and it resulted in a 24-0 victory over the University of South Dakota before 10,415 fans at Estes Stadium.

The Bears (4-1) won their third consecutive game despite finishing with less than 300 yards of total offense. But the UCA defense forced the undefeated Coyotes into five turnovers and handed them their first loss of the season. The Coyotes were ranked No. 6 in the nation in Division II and are coming off back-to-back 9-2 seasons.

UCA failed to take advantage four USD first-half turnovers - on their first four possessions of the game - and led only 7-0 at the break. The Bears got on the board with a 2-yard pass from sophomore quarterback Nathan Brown to tight end Marc Winston at the 10:45 mark of the first quarter to cap their first possession.

Brown, seeing his first action since the season opener against Henderson State, completed 20 of 28 passes for 168 yards and the one touchdown. The Bears managed only 253 yard of total offense, with only 85 on the ground.

In the second half, UCA's defense continued to shine and the offense found some life. The Bears capped an eight-play, 42-yard drive with a 44-yard field goal from junior James Paul with 10:42 left in the third period. UCA then got a boost from its special teams when All-American wide receiver Aaron Fairooz smothered a Luke Mikkelson punt at the USD 9, picked it up and returned it for the touchdown and a 17-0 lead at the 5:14 mark of the third quarter.

The other special teams highlight was a school-record 81-yard punt by Paul in the third quarter. The old mark was 79 yards set by Mark Osburn in 1980.

The Bears added their other touchdown on a nifty 26-yard run by junior running back Ross Brown. Paul’s point after made it 24-0 with 7:23 to play.

USD tallied only 103 yards of offense in the second half and suffered its fifth turnover on a fumble late in the fourth quarter. UCA linebacker James Lancaster sacked USD quarterback Carter Black and forced the fumble that Lance Boykins recovered at the USD 43. The Bears ran out the clock from there.

UCA's Leroy Hamilton, a senior defensive back from Little Rock, intercepted a pass in the end zone in the first half and returned it 86 yards and also recovered a first-half fumble.

The Bears begin a three-game road swing next Saturday when they travel to South Dakota State. Kickoff in Brookings, S.D., is 7 p.m

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
          I thought it was amusing, I was listening to KELO sports at 6:00 and the sportscaster stated USD loses a hardfought contest against DIAA Power  Central Arkansas.  Where do the come up with that?

on the 10 oclock sports , the same sports guy said D 1AA oponent instead of power.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit
            [quote author=jackrabbit1979 link=1159651907/0#6 date=1159663638]I thought it was amusing, I was listening to KELO sports at 6:00 and the sportscaster stated USD loses a hardfought contest against DIAA Power  Central Arkansas.  Where do the come up with that?

on the 10 oclock sports , the same sports guy said  D 1AA oponent instead of power.[/quote]

People, please! Watching KELO will not get you informed, not on sports and especially not on weather. ;D

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

USD did play pretty well. They shot themselves in the foot a number of times. I listened to a good portion of the game. They moved the ball well and deep into UCA territory only to turn it over. UCA is a good team and so is USD, can't wait for Saturday! I'll be there with my long range cowbell!!

Comment

Where is Coyote Fan when we need to have repeat his claim that there is no difference between D1AA and D2?

The most important statistic to come out of this game besides the final score is that Steffan Logan had only 78 yards on the ground. It broke a string of several one hundred yards games. Something tells me that UCA has quicker linebackers and safetys than any other team in the NCC. I listened to the game, and UCA had Logan rapped up a number of time.

I expect we will have a challenge this Saturday with UCA. We need to be ready.

Comment

I am not here to make excuses, Central Arkansas won the game 24-0 but USD did well in alot of categories. I am not happy about a few things especially the dumb penalties and turnovers. Despite a 4-0 turnover differential in the 1st half the USD defense held C Ark at bay and many times in the shadown of their end zone and came out of it only down 7-0. Eventually if you give a good team a 5-0 advantage in turnovers it's going to come back to get you. That was the obvious factor that led to the loss. It's not that Central Arkansas was heads and shoulders more talented than USD. Actually USD did more than hold their own man to man against that team.

Some facts to consider about the game.

1. The game was played with a temp in the mid 80's on a grass field. USD likes to play on a fast surface.

2. It's no secret that USD plays alot better at home than they do on the road. If you want to look at the score only then you could definately say that USD was not on the same level as C Ark, but I believe that you can't really tell about how a team matches up unless you can have the chance to play them in both home stadiums such as in a conference rivalry. USD builds their team on speed and it is very apparent on the astro turf. Even on field turf it tends to benefit the Coyotes. The Yotes swithced to a 3-4 defense which emphasises speed even more.

3. SDSU will get the same team but will get them in their backyard. Would it surprise me if either team won, no. I think SDSU may very well win that game. Does that mean that I think SDSU is heads and shoulders better than USD, no I don't. 1 game doesn't make a season.

4. USD won the yardage battle by over 50 total yards. Not being opportunistic in a game isn't a measurement of a D2 team vs a D1AA team it has more to do with experience and coaching. As much as I have supported Meierkort I was not of the believe that the offensive coaching in the game was very good at all. The playcalling all year has been suspect. If you turn that game around and put it on turf in a crowd of 8,000 supporting you instead of being against you it turns things around quite a bit. Suddenly that yardage differential turns into 150 and the turnovers probably don't happen and the score is 24-7 the other way.

If you look at the Jacks they don't have as big of a differential between playing at home as they do on the road. They play better on the road than the Coyotes do but the Coyotes are pretty much unbeatable at home and by the numbers it's very true. In the last 2 and a half years USD is unbeaten at home and actually against good team almost untested. Do I like that trend, no I don't actually. I like that they have made their house very tough on the opposition but they do need to be better away from home. In the NCC at least they started on the right foot by winning their first road game. SDSU was overwelmed in their first game or two at D1AA and then they kind of adapted and played alot better. I imagine that would be the case with the Coyotes as well should they move up.

If the Coyotes continue on and have a 9-2 type season I don't consider this loss any different than I would had the Bears still been a D2 team in a very good D2 conference, The Gulf South. UCA made the quarterfinals of the playoffs in their last year in D2. USD was not in the game on the scoreboard but they were in the game and then some in many facets of the game. The mistakes they made are correctable. The question that I wonder about is will the effort be made to correct them. If you take speed, size, strength, agility that is where the Coyotes were right there with the Bears on Saturday.

Obviously with the way the Jacks season has gone you can't just look at a team by one game. If that was the case your team would have been burried after game 1.
                  How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan
                    I am not here to make excuses, Central Arkansas won the game 24-0 but USD did well in alot of categories.  I am not happy about a few things especially the dumb penalties and turnovers.  Despite a 4-0 turnover differential in the 1st half the USD defense held C Ark at bay and many times in the shadown of their end zone and came out of it only down 7-0.  Eventually if you give a good team a 5-0 advantage in turnovers it's going to come back to get you.   That was the obvious factor that led to the loss.  It's not that Central Arkansas was heads and shoulders more talented than USD.  Actually USD did more than hold their own man to man against that team.  

Some facts to consider about the game.  

1.  The game was played with a temp in the mid 80's on a grass field.  USD likes to play on a fast surface.  

2.  It's no secret that USD plays alot better at home than they do on the road.  If you want to look at the score only then you could definately say that USD was not on the same level as C Ark, but I believe that you can't really tell about how a team matches up unless you can have the chance to play them in both home stadiums such as in a conference rivalry.  USD builds their team on speed and it is very apparent on the astro turf.  Even on field turf it tends to benefit the Coyotes.  The Yotes swithced to a 3-4 defense which emphasises speed even more.  

3. SDSU will get the same team but will get them in their backyard.  Would it surprise me if either team won, no.  I think SDSU may very well win that game.  Does that mean that I think SDSU is heads and shoulders better than USD, no I don't.  1 game doesn't make a season.

4.  USD won the yardage battle by over 50 total yards.  Not being opportunistic in a game isn't a measurement of a D2 team vs a D1AA team it has more to do with experience and coaching.  As much as I have supported Meierkort I was not of the believe that the offensive coaching in the game was very good at all.  The playcalling all year has been suspect.  If you turn that game around and put it on turf in a crowd of 8,000 supporting you instead of being against you it turns things around quite a bit.  Suddenly that yardage differential turns into 150 and the turnovers probably don't happen and the score is 24-7 the other way.

If you look at the Jacks they don't have as big of a differential between playing at home as they do on the road.  They play better on the road than the Coyotes do but the Coyotes are pretty much unbeatable at home and by the numbers it's very true.  In the last 2 and a half years USD is unbeaten at home and actually against good team almost untested.  Do I like that trend, no I don't actually.  I like that they have made their house very tough on the opposition but they do need to be better away from home.  In the NCC at least they started on the right foot by winning their first road game.  SDSU was overwelmed in their first game or two at D1AA and then they kind of adapted and played alot better.  I imagine that would be the case with the Coyotes as well should they move up.  

If the Coyotes continue on and have a 9-2 type season I don't consider this loss any different than I would had the Bears still been a D2 team in a very good D2 conference, The Gulf South.   UCA made the quarterfinals of the playoffs in their last year in D2.  USD was not in the game on the scoreboard but they were in the game and then some in many facets of the game.  The mistakes they made are correctable.  The question that I wonder about is will the effort be made to correct them.  If you take speed, size, strength, agility that is where the Coyotes were right there with the Bears on Saturday.  

Obviously with the way the Jacks season has gone you can't just look at a team by one game.  If that was the case your team would have been burried after game 1.    
                    Thanks CF for the assessment. UCA is 4-1, with two I-AA wins (Mo St, SFA), 2 D-2's, and a tight loss to Ill St, at Ill St. They are a solid, strong team. Even tho not in yet, they are appearing to be the strongest team in the Southland this year.

The principal reason that USD lost appears to be the turnovers. A 5 takeaway margin. UCA only score on one of the four turnovers in the first half.

Jacks - this will be a tough game! We need to stay focused on getting this win vs UCA.

Comment

If you look at the Jacks they don't have as big of a differential between playing at home as they do on the road. 
                      I don't get this. We have had only one game so far. Four games were on the road, so what differential are you talking about?

Comment

What I mean is that the Jacks level of play at home vs their level of play on the road is not as great of a difference as is USD's. Meaning that USD plays awsome football at home and mediocre football on the road. SDSU is a good home team that plays a bit better on it's home field than on the road. It's just that the difference is not as great.
                        How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Of course I can't just seperate only this year because the games played isn't a great sample yet. I am referring to moreso the past couple of seasons.
                          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

So, I guess the college football world better watch out. As soon as usd figures out how to schedule all of its games at home, on turf, with the temperature adjusted just right, they'll win it all, at whatever level.
                            @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                            --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                              USD did play pretty well.  They shot themselves in the foot a number of times.  I listened to a good portion of the game.  They moved the ball well and deep into UCA territory only to turn it over.  UCA is a good team and so is USD, can't wait for Saturday!  I'll be there with my long range cowbell!!
                              Accurate assesment. USD could have competed with UCA. USD didn't punt in the first half and still didn't score a point. Lost 2 fumbles and threw 2 picks.

That said, it is a little embarassing. I think in the long run it will improve focus for a team that might have been thinking they were better than they are.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Of course I can't just seperate only this year because the games played isn't a great sample yet.  I am referring to moreso the past couple of seasons.  
                                Okay I get that point. This season seems to be on our minds, and we have had just one game with a muddy field and 4 road games. I dont think SDSU knows what kind of a home team we are until after Saturday.   What team does not play good at home?

I think USD had better get ready for Augie. Salem seems to have new schemes and a spread out offense that worked against UND. I believe the heart of the UND defense scheme is to close in and contain.  

I dont think the play calling in the UCA game was any different than your other games. Coaches generally have a game plan and they dont make it up as they go along, unless they see something radically different than what they saw on the game videos. Other than half time adjustments, I sure USD offensive coaching staff were prepared. I would venture to say UCA is much quicker on defense than any team in the NCC. To me that explains Logan' s 78 yards on the ground. No break aways. Also it explains Koenig and Watson getting very few long runs. Other than Watson's 41 in the Nicholls game, there has not been that many. To me that is a testament that D1AA teams have more over all quickness. SDSU has a o line that put the fear into the McNeese coach. He was worried and he had good reason to be in the fourth quarter.

Comment

Working...
                                X