Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

Originally posted by Crashola
    I'm a dyed-in-the-wool USD hater. I was raised that way, so I can't help it. The Yotes fans who think they'll have an easy time getting into the Gateway are delusional.

However, the one rare Yote fan with a hint of intellect made a pretty good argument that the Mid-Con would look favorably upon a UND-USD request to join the conference. Adding all four Dakota schools to the conference would give it some long-needed stability. The Dakota schools played together for decades and it took major developments in DII to split them up. As silly as it seems, the four newbies could concievably become the core of the Mid-Con.

That said, I personally could care less if we ever play them again.
    As usual, USD fans are late to the D-I party. I made a very similar argument back in June before any Coyote fan thought moving to D-I was a good idea:
    http://www.medary.com/article.php?st...60601122340393
    The solution to the long-term survival of the Mid-Continent conference is to go north. Addition of four Division-II North Central Conference schools to the Mid-Con: North Dakota, St. Cloud State, Minnesota State-Mankato, and South Dakota, provides a solid geographic core to a revitalized mid-continent Conference which could eventually look to replicate the success of the Missouri Valley Conference in men's basketball. It also stabilizes the Great West Football Conference as the football-playing affiliate of the Mid-Con.

North Dakota State and South Dakota State will continue to feel a pull toward an all-sports conference that offers football. The Great West Football Conference is largely administered by the Mid-Continent, but is a marginal Division I-AA football conference with only five members: NDSU, SDSU, Southern Utah of the Mid-Con, and football independents UC-Davis and Cal Poly. More GWFC members are required to provide a stable football home for NDSU, SDSU, and SUU.
    I did not envision the apparent opening in the Gateway Football Conference for NDSU and SDSU with Western Kentucky's departure for I-A and the Sun Belt. There will certainly be other unexpected developments which will either benefit or hinder USD's search for a D-I conference. For instance, while we all think it's likely, it is not certain that the Gateway will invite NDSU and SDSU. If not, the "Big North" scenario for the Mid-Con/GWFC would remain in full play.

The only certainty in the current situation is that the existing Mid-Con members will need to see a tangible benefit to them before they'll invite USD or UND. Their tangible benefit to invite SDSU and NDSU was the continuing existence of their conference. That's no longer quite the pressing concern it was in June.

If the status quo persists, I don't see how USD gets into the Mid-Con, let alone any other D-I conference except the GWFC. But it's unlikely the status quo will persist. Nobody knows for sure whether the changes which will come will help or hinder USD in gaining a D-I conference membership--Mid-Con or elsewhere. And that's where it stands.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

My understanding is that the USD task force will make their recommendation today. Abbott has said he will not act on it until the end of December which is the deadline set by the NCC for teams that want to leave (adjusted for USD). I haven't heard the official word from the task force but I presume its all systems go for DI.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm expecting all of the NCC teams that plan on leaving (UND, UND, Augie, and UNO) to wait until the last possible moment to submit their withdrawl notice as no one wants to be blamed for the fall of the NCC..... : : :

Comment

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/new...elease_id=3437

21-4, one absent, move-up has got everyone on board. Abbott is the only one who can save them now.

Good luck and we told you so. Day late and a lot of dollars short, but that could change. You can't just wait for a DI conference, we didn't. You can't just wait for an endowment, we didn't. They shouldn't have waited for the inevitable, they did. A lot of things will have to go right for this move to be successful. I expect to hear a lot of interesting things out of Vermillion in the next few months.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

We all pretty much knew this recommendation was coming! The easiest thing for USD would have been a vote to stay D-II but that would and should be looked at as a step backward. On this issue, The U is screwed and is almost forced into this decision! I've said it all along, let's see the plan to make it happen! I really do hope there is a solid plan in place and leaders with the intestinal fortitude to make it happen!

The fear for me is that making the jump is going to be a huge mistake for USD! That would be tragic for South Dakota! If there isn't a good plan, then it just compunds the difficulties like finding a conference to call home. Then things could really spiral downhill!

It has no bearing on the fact that I am SDSU fan and booster and I don't think it has an impact on SDSU! If there is a solid plan to make the move work, it could be great for USD as it is turning out to be for SDSU! A conference home could be attained and a rivalry could be started again! (I still am not sure if I feel that is good for SDSU but it would create interest!)

Best of luck and I wish for wisdom for the people making the decisions!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

All opinions of the move aside, how many tickets do you think will be sold for the first meeting between SDSU and USD on the gridiron? It's been 3 years since we played and both teams are significantly better. You want to talk about record breaking attendance, that would seem to be an ideal setting. Scheduling it as one of our last home games may even help with that late season lull in attendance after Hobo Days. Again, putting all of the feelings about the rivalry aside, this game would sell alot of tickets. This game would draw the casual fan to the game.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I agree it would be a big draw, but assuming we get the Gateway, thats 8 games. Gives us 3 non conference games. I like the idea of taking on one 1-A opponent a year which is great for recruiting and the guarantee. Now we are down to 2. There are some great D1AA programs we would have to cut out to put USD back in. I know a USD game would be a big crowd and big gate, but I for one have gotten use to the idea of playing the best programs in D1AA.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                  All opinions of the move aside, how many tickets do you think will be sold for the first meeting between SDSU and USD on the gridiron?  It's been 3 years since we played and both teams are significantly better.  You want to talk about record breaking attendance, that would seem to be an ideal setting.  Scheduling it as one of our last home games may even help with that late season lull in attendance after Hobo Days.  Again, putting all of the feelings about the rivalry aside, this game would sell alot of tickets.  This game would draw the casual fan to the game.
                  16,000+!

It would probably be a sell-out at CAS if it were to happen but I have my doubts that it will even if the 'Yotes move up!  I belive it had been offered to them to play one in CAS and another in Sioux Falls but they turned it down.   I can't see SDSU playing another game in the Dakotadump unless we are one day in the same conference!  

MJA, I agree both teams have improved but USD's improvement is inflated due to the three schools leaving the NCC!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD
                    I agree it would be a big draw, but assuming we get the Gateway, thats 8 games.  Gives us 3 non conference games.  I like the idea of taking on one 1-A opponent a year which is great for recruiting and the guarantee.  Now we are down to 2. There are some great D1AA programs we would have to cut out to put USD back in.  I know a USD game would be a big crowd and big gate, but I for one have gotten use to the idea of playing the best programs in D1AA.  
                    Who would that be? William Penn or Wisconsin LaX. Give me a break.

We'll enjoy playing for the conference title against our rivals in North Dakota, you enjoy playing for...I don't know, who cares. We might even invite you down for our playoff game, if you can be nice.

See you in the future. Can't wait to put the hurt on the Bunnies. Oh, in case you are wondering, no way we end up scheduling anything with you guys except for a home and home. You can forget that dream of 2 for 1 or 1 in Brookings 1 in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                      [quote author=HoboD link=1150320172/255#261 date=1162937043]I agree it would be a big draw, but assuming we get the Gateway, thats 8 games.  Gives us 3 non conference games.  I like the idea of taking on one 1-A opponent a year which is great for recruiting and the guarantee.  Now we are down to 2. There are some great D1AA programs we would have to cut out to put USD back in.  I know a USD game would be a big crowd and big gate, but I for one have gotten use to the idea of playing the best programs in D1AA.  
                      Who would that be?  William Penn or Wisconsin LaX.  Give me a break.

We'll enjoy playing for the conference title against our rivals in North Dakota, you enjoy playing for...I don't know, who cares.  We might even invite you down for our playoff game, if you can be nice.

See you in the future.  Can't wait to put the hurt on the Bunnies.  Oh, in case you are wondering, no way we end up scheduling anything with you guys except for a home and home.  You can forget that dream of 2 for 1 or 1 in Brookings 1 in SF.[/quote]

See what happens? I make a harmless comment about how big the gate would be at a renewed USD v. SDSU game and you have to take it down to a juvenile level. I would respond to your comments with things like the Great West is a far superior conference in overall respect than the NCC at this point regardless of D1AA or DII. USD couldn't get into the playoffs in large part because of the watering down of the NCC and the Great West is currently ranked 1st in all of 1AA, but that would be stooping to your level. I would also caution you against bringing up strength of foes because you may break a couple windows with those rocks. Also, I would ask you what exactly leads you to believe the Yotes would pound the Jacks? Couldn't be recent history (and I mean past 20 years recent history).

One last thing and this is in all seriousness. If you really think SDSU would agree to a home and home, then YOU truly are dreaming. If your view is a prevailing view at USD, then I guess my original question will never be answered because the game will never be played. SDSU will be a playoff eligible 1AA team and USD will be in transition. Every contract they sign with a 1AA school will be a 2 for 1 or a 1 time away game. That's the way it works. Sorry to burst your bubble.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

And before you respond to the comment about the home and home, I'll respond by telling you to see how your schedule looks for the first couple years when you move to 1AA. Look at SDSU and NDSU if you'd like a preview. Those are the types of deals we HAD to sign to fill the schedules because teams who are established aren't going to sign transition schools unless they can get a 2 for 1 deal to make it worth their while financially. USD will have as hard of a time as we did filling the schedules and will not find help from SDSU and NDSU. Bank it.

Comment

We have to assume that the administration is far more aware of the scheduling/conference realities that Yote53. Good Luck USD, as I do not think, barring something totally unforeseen, that Abbot could find a reason for saying no to the switch. I do not agree that staying D-2 would have been a step backwards for USD, if that was the best option based on a sound plan for the future. As things have transpired with the NCC, it may have been the most couragous step to say, "Our conference situation is currently bad, but we have to look beyond current situations and go with what is best long term and that is staying D-2." That would have taken guts, because they are sure to have problems for the next five or so years if they stayed.

Interesting times for all the schools, USD gets to head into the uncertainty that SDSU is just beginning to come through. I hope that in three plus years after the transition starts, USD is as pleased with their decision as most SDSU fans are currently.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                            Who would that be?  William Penn or Wisconsin LaX.  Give me a break.

We'll enjoy playing for the conference title against our rivals in North Dakota, you enjoy playing for...I don't know, who cares.  We might even invite you down for our playoff game, if you can be nice.

See you in the future.  Can't wait to put the hurt on the Bunnies.  Oh, in case you are wondering, no way we end up scheduling anything with you guys except for a home and home.  You can forget that dream of 2 for 1 or 1 in Brookings 1 in SF.
                            Brief pause, deep breath, remember ignorance is bliss...... Facts are facts, USD is once again following are lead here (NDSU's lead if you prefer). Based on success at the DII level there is no support to suggest that USD will have any easier time than SDSU, in fact quite the opposite is true. I think the discussion about recent success at the DII level has been laid to rest, by the way, so don't bring that up.

Its great to support your school but don't insult us with lame BS like a playoff game in Vermillion, you can't even get one of those in a torn down NCC that you claim to dominate. That my friend is a fact.

Good luck to USD, you should aspire to be as successful as SDSU. We might even be willing to throw you a few bones like a 2 for 1, you better take that if you get it. Perhaps arrogance will once again be your limiting factor.

Still, good luck. I'd love the opportunity to see the coyotes on the FB field against our Jacks again.

Comment

Good Luck usd. You are going to need it!! plus another 4-5 million for your athletic budget. Again, good luck.

P.S. forget about home and homes against SDSU for several years!!

Comment

Especially after what happened the last time any Jackrabbits were down in Vermintown. Your school's disrespect for SDSU has severely hurt any chances of us playing down there anytime soon. Enjoy schools like Savannah State and Chicago State

Comment

Working...
                                X