Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Why USD CAN go DI.

Originally posted by eqguy
    The thought of moving the Law and Med schools to Sioux Falls has to be very threating.  

I am thankful I am SDSU grad.
    I agree with the sentiment Haldersham.  

My concern lies in that if they move the law and med schools what happens to the Nursing and Pharm program?  I know we don't stand to lose as much as they do in this transfer but we still stand to lose.
    Where did you find evidence of a possibility of moving these programs either from the U or State and how does that tie in to DI? I'm sure I'm just missing it...

Comment

I think it ties only into D-I in that the loss of students takes away from funds available (activity fees etc.)

The moving of these programs is only speculation based on the extent of the expansion of the Sioux Falls campus of whatever they are calling it these days. If the nursing students and pharmacists are spending all of their time in SF for training it wouldn't be to inconceivable to see the BOR move them to that location and expand the program at some point.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Jack99

There is no evidence of the med and law going to Sioux Falls. I was only commenting on a comment made in the blog that was cited earilier:

Here is the link to that blog:

http://dakotawarcollege.blogspot.com...e-session.html

Comment

valpotx,
          I think the animosity you cite goes back quite some time, I believe about the time I was paying more attention whether or not I got a Rod Carew with my Topps bubble gum. I am sure some other posters can fill in the details, but at one time there was a push by the School of Mines in Rapid City to have the engineering departments at SDSU moved to Rapid City. My understanding is that USD jumped in full force on the side opposite of SDSU. I think the legislature ended up getting involved, and it was a big mess. Obviously, the engineering departrments at SDSU remained, but hard feelings last a long time.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

valpotx, the academic rivalry between SDSU and USD goes back to the early days of statehood. Some examples, as illustrated in The College on the Hill include:

1) In 1897, a bill to fund an engineering building was cut by $2000 in conference committee at the request of the governor with the $2000 being allocated to a USD budget item.
            2) In 1902, USD advertised its own engineering programs despite not having any engineering faculty.
            3) In 1931, a Regent wanted to move the SDSU pharmacy program to USD and strip SDSU of its engineering courses in favor of Mines.
            4) In 1933, a group of USD alums sued in an attempt to eliminate a bunch of programs at SDSU.

This was all before the previously-mentioned battles during the '70s......

Comment

Originally posted by NightHawk78
              valpotx, the academic rivalry between SDSU and USD goes back to the early days of statehood. Some examples, as illustrated in The College on the Hill include:

1) In 1897, a bill to fund an engineering building was cut by $2000 in conference committee at the request of the governor with the $2000 being allocated to a USD budget item.
              2) In 1902, USD advertised its own engineering programs despite not having any engineering faculty.
              3) In 1931, a Regent wanted to move the SDSU pharmacy program to USD and strip SDSU of its engineering courses in favor of Mines.
              4) In 1933, a group of USD alums sued in an attempt to eliminate a bunch of programs at SDSU.

This was all before the previously-mentioned battles during the '70s......
              See, I knew someone else would be able to expound on the subject.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

All because USD has an "inferiority complex" and can't stand a little ol' "Cow College" is the state's flagship university.

You should read the part in "College on the Hill" where USD even objected renaming then SDSC into SDSU!

Talk about petty!
                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53
                  People are still Hawkeye crazy, Iowa State has made inroads, Nebraska was very strong here but has since lost a lot of following.  It is possible to get the support, there are a lot more USD grads down here than there used to be too.  I can see it happening.  you don't need to have the suppport of the whole town, if you could draw an additional 5,000 fans from the area to the south of Verm for a football home game that would do it.  Far less travel for a D1 game than Iowa City, Ames, or Lincoln.  Though the experience isn't the same, tix are available unlike IaCity or Lincoln where finding tix is tough.
                  LMAO, You expect an additional 5,000 people to travel from the south to sit in the DAKOTADUMP for a football game. I don't care who you are, That's Funny!!

Comment

USD AD Joel Neilsen was on Jeff Culhane's show on monday and said the u has now hired an outside consultant to study the athletic classification of usd. He also said the committee's report to Abbott is still expected to be completed in early November, maybe a few days later than originally planned due to the outside consultant.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbitdw
                      USD AD Joel Neilsen was on Jeff Culhane's show on monday and said the u has now hired an outside consultant to study the athletic classification of usd. He also said the committee's report to Abbott is still expected to be completed in early November, maybe a few days later than originally planned due to the outside consultant.
                      Geez, I can give the consultant's findings to USD for free:

USD has significant facility and financial challenges to address in moving to Division I, but such a move is possible.
                      USD's fan support is excellent for a Division II institution, but will need to grow to be competitive in Division I.
                      It's important to secure Division I conference affiliation.
                      USD's potential market is on the small side for a Division I school.
                      The university administration must insure that the athletic program is properly aligned with the university's mandated role as the state's flagship liberal arts university.

There. Did I miss anything?
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        Geez, I can give the consultant's findings to USD for free:

USD has significant facility and financial challenges to address in moving to Division I, but such a move is possible.
                        USD's fan support is excellent for a Division II institution, but will need to grow to be competitive in Division I.
                        It's important to secure Division I conference affiliation.
                        USD's potential market is on the small side for a Division I school.
                        The university administration must insure that the athletic program is properly aligned with the university's mandated role as the state's flagship liberal arts university.

There.  Did I miss anything?
                        What is your address Filbert? I'll have USD cut a check for say.... $30,000 and send it to you. Should save them some money. Just PM me and I'll get the check in the mail.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

My guess is someone said we will look bad in front of the BOR if we don't have our own consultant like SDSU. So they get a consultant, give them their information and said give us a report in a couple of weeks. My guess is there will not be much new information from the consultant beyond what USD provided, due solely to the lack of time allowed for the report.

I hope USD makes their decision based on what is right for them in the long term and does not look at how any current teams are doing. My fear, as an alum of both SDSU and USD, is that USD is making its decision with a major factor being what SDSU did.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic
                            My guess is someone said we will look bad in front of the BOR if we don't have our own consultant like SDSU. So they get a consultant, give them their information and said give us a report in a couple of weeks. My guess is there will not be much new information from the consultant beyond what USD provided, due solely to the lack of time allowed for the report.

I hope USD makes their decision based on what is right for them in the long term and does not look at how any current teams are doing. My fear, as an alum of both SDSU and USD, is that USD is making its decision with a major factor being what SDSU did.
                            Bringing a consultant in less than one month before their self-imposed deadline for their committee is an act of panic, or desperation, or both, IMHO.

You can guess it almost any way - - - they're bringing in a consultant to provide cover for a decision to NOT move up, or they're bringing one in to provide cover for a decision TO move up.

Or (as I originally noted when they announced their study) it's simply that a 26-member committee is just too big and unwieldy to draft a minimally coherent report in the time frame they had, so they're bringing in the consultant as a hail mary to draft a recommendation report that the Regents will buy into.
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            Good Lord! A 26-member committee? That's expected to make a decision by November 6th? That says only one thing to me:

They'll rubber-stamp something that's already been decided.
                            Don't know. Just guessing.

I think the fix is in and they're moving up. They're just getting their story straight.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They can't fool the BOR, can they? I don't see how an objective, outside consultant can approve a move up to DI right now without a ton of contingencies. The uproar from the legislature when SDSU moved up will be whisper compared to the shouting that should occur if USD announces a move up.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

*RUMOR ALERT*

This may have something or nothing to do with bringing in a consultant at this point, but rumor has it that it's probable that USD's committee came back with no recommendation to make the move. Anyone else hear anything similar?
                                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Working...
                                X