Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UND logo (aka The Logo That Dare Not Be Seen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND logo (aka The Logo That Dare Not Be Seen)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

The trial has been delayed to at least December 2007 and the judge wants UND and the NCAA to try to settle the matter out of court.............somehow, I don't see either side backing down.........

Comment

Gophers-UND rivalry hits a big snag

Seems like UND is already hitting a road block in the DI transition.  And apparently there's a rivalry with the Gophers brewing as well.

Gophers-UND rivalry hits a big snag

Minnesota's policy on Indian nicknames means the teams can meet in hockey games but not other sports.

By Chip Scoggins, Star Tribune

University of North Dakota athletic director Tom Buning had hoped to schedule football and basketball games against the University of Minnesota in an effort to provide a financial boost to his school's transition to Division I in 2008.
      That won't happen, however, as long as UND retains its Fighting Sioux nickname. Minnesota officials recently clarified a 2003 policy enacted by the school's Advisory Committee on Athletics that prohibits university teams from scheduling games against schools that use Native American mascots and nicknames.

Read more...http://www.startribune.com/512/story/886984.html

I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Makes you wonder how much longer before PETA starts getting into the act... protesting animal nicknames, because they're "demeaning" to animals!

As Denis Leary would say, "Let's back off the pretentiousness turnpike, people!"
        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1
          Makes you wonder how much longer before PETA starts getting into the act... protesting animal nicknames, because they're "demeaning" to animals!

As Denis Leary would say, "Let's back off the pretentiousness turnpike, people!"
          Good point jackrabbit1! That's probably a little over the top but those people are out there!

One thing that would be wise for the SDSU administration should look into is the danger to our students and student-atheletes associated with opponents with mascots that are rabies-carrying, flea-bitten, rabbit-chasin vermin. There's just not a lot of good that can come from a game against a critter like that! ;D ;D ;D

Not smack, but a public safety concern!

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If that were to happen they would have to ban all nicknames for college sports.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbison
              [quote author=jackrabit1 link=1163524069/15#17 date=1166634067]Makes you wonder how much longer before PETA starts getting into the act... protesting animal nicknames, because they're "demeaning" to animals!

If that were to happen they would have to ban all nicknames for college sports.
              [/quote]

Not true! Stanford has indicated that the cardinal referred to in relation to their athletic teams is not representative of the bird, the religous position in various denominations or the color. It is just a word. Maybe UND could make that work for them.

Edit: I need to add a disclaimer that I believe the statements came from the student assembly/senate, etc. and is based on my admittedly faulty memory.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

As a student from SDSU, I really find nothing wrong with it. It's just a nickname and if you don't think about it then it doesn't bother anyone. When the Florida Seminoles or Atlanta Braves come to play, do you actually go and apologize to the community for bringing them in because of their names? I just hate it when people try and make a big deal out of something just to do it. And I apologize because maybe it does bother people but it's just a nickname, nothing else. The interesting thing about this is that Engelstad made the hockey arena with as much logo's as possible because he never wanted to change it, just so that if they did it would be hard to do. He loved the name and the school and said he'd take away all his money if they changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
                  As a student from SDSU, I really find nothing wrong with it. It's just a nickname and if you don't think about it then it doesn't bother anyone. When the Florida Seminoles or Atlanta Braves come to play, do you actually go and apologize to the community for bringing them in because of their names? I just hate it when people try and make a big deal out of something just to do it. And I apologize because maybe it does bother people but it's just a nickname, nothing else. The interesting thing about this is that Engelstad made the hockey arena with as much logo's as possible because he never wanted to change it, just so that if they did it would be hard to do. He loved the name and the school and said he'd take away all his money if they changed it.
                  My opinion is that if you really love a school, you wouldn't put them into the kind of situation that Engelstad did with the strings he put on the arena up there. Engelstad may have been rich, but he was an arrogant a$$. UND would have been better off telling him 'no, thanks.'
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
                    Well President Miller apparently found a problem with the logo. See todays Argus story. Filbert is right though in that UND IMO did not handle Englestad properly nor did Englestad show his loyality to UND properly, in that he almost bought a state assisted institution. Shortly before he died he was having a written duel in the GF paper with a faculty member who he told that if he were in charge she would be fired.

SDSU has had some very generous alums, but never have they put so many pressures on the adminstration on about any issue. They gave out of loyality with out a political agenda. In fact David Marquart SDSU Foundation Executive Director was on a NPR interview about the time the UND thing got heated up and he said the SDSU had turned down an opportunity to receive an endowed gift provided a certain poltical view would be taught using that gift. Maybe UND should have done the same.

Comment

I see you're point and I completely agree. Words of wisdom from the elder/older.

But I still think people overreact too much...

Comment

The 64-thousand dollar question... how much of a hinderance will UND's Nickname and Logo be in terms of its transition to D-I?
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The 64-thousand dollar question... how much of a hinderance will UND's Nickname and Logo be in terms of its transition to D-I?
                          It doesn't help when there are schools out there that won't schedule you. As we found out, it's very hard to put together schedules as a D-I independent.

I think you hit the right word . . . it will be a hindrance.

I'm much more offended with how UND fans end the National Anthem than I am by their school's nickname, but I don't see the NCAA cracking down on bad and offensive renditions of the Star Spangled Banner any time soon. I understand that in this world, some people's sensibilities are more important than others. Bah, humbug.

Merry Christmas!!!! Happy Festivus! Cheerful Kwanzaa to all, and to all . . . well, whatever.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Oklahoma does the same thing. Land of the free and home of the Sooners. Obnoxious. OU excels at obnoxious.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I wasn’t sure if this belongs here or in Stu Strikes Again.  I decided to put it here.  I’m really not sure what to think of this.  I’m glad we have our concerns over our logo instead of UND’s controversy over their’s.

From the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...702230337/1002

It isn't always easy to do the right thing.

Just ask the University of North Dakota, which risks becoming a national pariah because of its steadfast refusal to drop a nickname that is deeply offensive to the heritage of Lakota, Dakota and Nakota Indians.    …. Read more ….

Comment

Well it will be interesting to see how this all turns out. One of the items Whitney didn't mention is that the Englestad area (the Ralph) is run by a board of trustees set up in Ralph Englestad's will, which runs the arena, and lets UND play hockey there (almost) free. My understanding has been that the directions from Englestad to the trustees is that if UND ever gives up the Fighting Sioux logo, UND will not be charged to use the arena, just like any other commercial concert, show, etc. That is a huge problem for the UND administration, and one of the reasons they are fighting legally with the NCAA. And if you have ever been in the Ralph, you know that the Fighting Sioux emblems are everywhere (on the backs of more than 2000 leather seats, in the carpet, in the marble flooring (a huge one probably 15 feet across in the main entrance),..everywhere.

As an aside, I had a long discussion with President Kupchella at a hockey game over why UND wasn't going Division I when NDSU and SDSU were. He went through a disastrouos DI switch as a vice chancellor at SEMO, which caused them to lose their football program for a number of years. He was strongly against going DI. I asked a UND graduate, who is a friend from western ND, what would happen to Kupchella if the alumni and fans forced a DI move to keep up with the Bison. He stated, quite simply, "we would fire him!" Kupchella has just announced he will be resigning as President in 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                X