Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND AD on the Edge

Originally posted by jackmd
    [quote author=BTownJack link=1176400615/15#28 date=1177351157]I would agree but if our administration had proposed these kinds of increases to our studenty body when we annouced we were moving up, I'm sure the same feelings would have been expressed by our own student body.  

Since the Board of Regents mandated we couldn't increase student fees to help pay for our move to D-I, this wasn't an issue on our campus.  Had we'd been allowed to, there certainly would have been some opposition.  
    We don't know that for sure but it seems logical.  I think you can say now that the students are definitely in support of the move.  In 5 years there won't be  student on campus who yearns for the DII days of the past. [/quote]
    I would agree that not only are the students behind the move, but SDSU is garnerning more and more support from the SD general public.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
      [quote author=SD-STATE link=1176400615/15#27 date=1177344372]Not exactly the sign of excitement about moving up to DI they are probably looking for.
      I would agree but if our administration had proposed these kinds of increases to our studenty body when we annouced we were moving up, I'm sure the same feelings would have been expressed by our own student body.  

Since the Board of Regents mandated we couldn't increase student fees to help pay for our move to D-I, this wasn't an issue on our campus.  Had we'd been allowed to, there certainly would have been some opposition.  [/quote]

I think you're probably right. There always seems to be a perception from the non-athlete student or faculty that the athletes are overpaid or over privileged to begin with. Many don't realize that an increase in those fees would in a round about way benefit everyone and are therefore reluctant to have to pay extra. Looking back now, I wouldn't mind if I had to pay a little extra to attend a DI institution. If you asked me when I was a student, I would of probably would of had a few gripes. I wonder if SDSU's inability to get renevue from those fees won't put it at a disadvantage in the future. As successful as we've been, how much more would that extra money have gotten us? An improved facility, extra scholarship or assisstant coach a few years sooner? A lot can be said how despite all of our grumblings, I've been as guilty as anyone, our administration has been doing a great job despite their somewhat limited options monetary wise.

Comment

The UND Student Senate's position is a serious development. That situation has the potential to derail the entire DI switch for UND or, at a minimum, cause it to get off on the wrong foot which could have lasting implications.

I suppose each school has its own set of problems. For UND, an easy argument against moving to DI was the fact that UND already had DI hockey and was familiar with how to compete at the highest level of a particular sport. UND students have to be looking at the budget projections and swallowing real hard right now.

I'd love to be sitting in the corner when the off-the-record discussions take place between the administration and the student senators. I think the students have a mighty big knife to wield when it comes to cutting a deal on student fees! Raising student fees was the easy solution and now the administrators may have to face the prospective of life without the ability to raise student fees.

I look forward to following the news from Grand Forks. Beats the heck outa hearing about Anna Nicole, Britney, Paris, Imus etc.

Comment

JackJD, I too found that development quite interesting. I don't however think it will derail anything. They are going to go DI now come hell or high water. They and USD are now in no-mans land. They can't go back cuz there's nothing to go back to. On this same note On the BisonSports.Net blog this very topic was raised by one of the USD bloggers. He commended the UND senate for their stance. I found the very first response to his blog quite interesting and believe it must have been from a SDSU fan or alum. Either way you guys may want to check it out.
          http://bisonsports.net/bsnblog/index.php/b
          You guys may agree with the comments of the readers. As a matter of fact I'm pretty sure you will.

Comment

Thanks for the link, Bisonbacker. Interesting reading.

I think you're right: the chance for UND's move to be derailed is slim to none at this point but I think the transition is off to a rough start with the students having legitimate complaints about the possible increase in fees.

I look forward to following the story.

Comment

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...250ed194312e5e

Well, UND remembered to send its check and application in to the NCAA. Any news about USD's application?

The NCAA has received a $15,000 check from UND, down payment on the school's planned move to NCAA Division I athletics by the 2012-2013 school year.

UND officials sent the check by FedEx on Thursday morning, said athletic director Tom Buning, and later got confirmation the check was received. The school was facing a June 1 deadline.

The check was accompanied by a formal application to move all of UND's Division II athletics programs to D-I over the course of five years, Buning said. UND's men's and women's hockey programs are D-I sports, but all other UND sports are D-II. (more...)

Comment

Working...
              X