Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND AD on the Edge

Originally posted by 2002jack
    [quote author=Jack4Life link=1176400615/0#13 date=1176579656][quote author=filbert link=1176400615/0#11 date=1176573962][quote author=Jack4Life link=1176400615/0#9 date=1176519674]As I was sitting in the hot tub having a few cold ones tonight, I got thinking about this thread. What if the scenario presented by Carr to UND did not paint a very good picture and they went through their exploratory year and decided to go back to DII, or if USD decided after their exploratory year to go back to DII, it would be very difficult for either institution to make this transition alone. It probably won't happen, but I am sure both schools will want to be supporting each other in following through with the move. I think it would be a real tough road to go by yourself.
    With the implosion of the NCC, USD's and UND's D-II bridges are now thoroughly burned.  I think it would be quite impossible for them to cut football scholarships and drop down into the Northern Sun.--their other option would be to wander the wilderness as a full-football-scholarship D-II independent.

Their alumni and boosters simply won't allow that while SDSU and NDSU remain in D-I.  They're committed now to D-I for the next decade, regardless of the planning which may or may not have occurred.  The D-II door has closed on them, it's move forward or bust for the U's now.[/quote]

I do agree that turning back is probably impossible. We were fortunate to have the close alliance w/ NDSU and I think both schools were comfortable with each other. I hope the UxD's have the same realtionships with each other as we did w/ NDSU. I feel fortunate to have gone through our first few years with what appears to be very good planning and vision by the administration. A lot of that work was completed before the announcement of the move was even made. I think no matter what people are being told, the planning (or lack of planning) will show in the first 3-5 years.[/quote]

Does anybody know where USD's DI study can be found?[/quote]

They are in the process of thinking about mulling it over!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
        A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there  are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.
        That is a very good point. What is the average donation? I know there is considerable talk about a major dontation from one benefactor for a basketball arena, but you can't put all your eggs in one basket. When you have a major benefactor, the average contributor gets complacent. You need the average joe supporting your program.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
          [quote author=Haldersham link=1176400615/15#16 date=1176591123]A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there  are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.
          That is a very good point. What is the average donation? I know there is considerable talk about a major dontation from one benefactor for a basketball arena, but you can't put all your eggs in one basket. When you have a major benefactor, the average contributor gets complacent. You need the average joe supporting your program.[/quote]

Does anybody know the name of the consultant they used? I can't find anything.
          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
            A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there  are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.
            President Abbott spoke to a group here in Yankton last fall/winter and stated that the "funds are in place" for the athletic department to make the move to DI. He did not give specifics but then again, no one asked for specifics. When I called KWSN and asked them what they thought about the lack of details they just kind of blew me off. Typical of Craig and Mike. I don't think there are any concrete commitments and the "expert" they hired considered himself that, I don't think the firms work has been peer reviewed. Flying by the seat of their pants is the impression I get. I guess time will tell. Maybe USD will come out smelling like a rose in the end and I'll just look foolish for questioning them.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Not to be nit picky and off topic, but I believe KWSN is now Craig and Bob. Our buddy Mike is very busy doing the Sports Max every Saturday.

As far as Abbott, I tend to think the president has to sound confident and maybe at that time he did not have to have specifics to be believeable. There was nothing to suggest that the money was not in place and he probably can keep telling people this until some thing such as a consultant's report controdicts him. A Carr & Associates  study would probably put the admin behind the 8 ball as they do their work based on facts and not on what people want to hear.

I agree the Consultant whose name no one can find or recall, seemed to me to be telling people what they want to hear, and that really sticking his neck out. After doing all the data gathering and quantifying all the data, and he finds a different conclusion is very evident, what does he do? You hope he would be honest.

Getting back to UND, its going to be very intersting to see what happens now. The UND president Kupachella has announced his retirement which is at the end of 2007. So they have a chance to hire someone who wants to pick up the batone and go forward into the march to D1 membership in all sports. My guess is that both Men and Women hockey will eat up about 50 percent of the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
                [quote author=Jack4Life link=1176400615/15#17 date=1176594570][quote author=Haldersham link=1176400615/15#16 date=1176591123]A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there  are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.
                That is a very good point. What is the average donation? I know there is considerable talk about a major dontation from one benefactor for a basketball arena, but you can't put all your eggs in one basket. When you have a major benefactor, the average contributor gets complacent. You need the average joe supporting your program.[/quote]

Does anybody know the name of the consultant they used?  I can't find anything.[/quote]

I searched back and found the consultant was Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting of New York (ICAC). They recommended the UxD's co-op for the move. Also recommended to seek membership in the Great West conference and the Mid-Con for all other sports. I am going to do a google search for them and see if I can locate the study.

Comment

Does anybody know the name of the consultant they used?  I can't find anything.[/quote]

I searched back and found the consultant was Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting of New York (ICAC). They recommended the UxD's co-op for the move. Also recommended to seek membership in the Great West conference and the Mid-Con for all other sports. I am going to do a google search for them and see if I can locate the study.[/quote]

Attached is their web-site
                  http://www.icac.us/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life
                    [quote author=2002jack link=1176400615/15#18 date=1176601904][quote author=Jack4Life link=1176400615/15#17 date=1176594570][quote author=Haldersham link=1176400615/15#16 date=1176591123]A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.

Does anybody know the name of the consultant they used? I can't find anything.[/quote]

I searched back and found the consultant was Inter-Collegiate Athletic Consulting of New York (ICAC). They recommended the UxD's co-op for the move. Also recommended to seek membership in the Great West conference and the Mid-Con for all other sports. I am going to do a google search for them and see if I can locate the study.[/quote]
                    My recollection is that--at least in the press reports of whatever report they created--ICAC went a bit further than just "recommend" that USD "seeks membership" in the Mid-Con, they basically said that Mid-Con membership for USD was pretty much a done deal.

That tells me that they either 1) know things that a lot of people, possibly including Mid-Con Comissioner Tom Douple, don't know, or 2) they're pulling it out of their you-know-what.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

According to their website, ICAC has been retained to assist three schools with their transitions; USD, North Carolina Central University and St. Anselm College. I believe that would make them an expert in NCAA transitions...

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                        [quote author=Jack4Life link=1176400615/15#21 date=1176674987][quote author=2002jack link=1176400615/15#18 date=1176601904][quote author=Jack4Life link=1176400615/15#17 date=1176594570][quote author=Haldersham link=1176400615/15#16 date=1176591123]A serious google on USD and D1 studies was made and nothing came up that relates directly to the specific request that I made. It would appear there  are no offical documents posted to the web at this time. Their consultant could still be working on them. I dont know what their giving from the average alum is in terms of athletics is currently at nor have there been any significant changes. For their sake, you would hope in some sort of a bump.

My recollection is that--at least in the press reports of whatever report they created--ICAC went a bit further than just "recommend" that USD "seeks membership" in the Mid-Con, they basically said that Mid-Con membership for USD was pretty much a done deal.

That tells me that they either 1) know things that a lot of people, possibly including Mid-Con Comissioner Tom Douple, don't know, or 2) they're pulling it out of their you-know-what.[/quote]

I'll go with the you-know-what option.  ;D

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.../NEWS/70423005

University of North Dakota student group balks at Division 1 move

By The Associated Press
                          Published: April 23, 2007

GRAND FORKS, N.D. – The University of North Dakota Student Senate has tabled its discussion on the switch to NCAA Division I athletics.

The Senate passed a resolution on Sunday that says it won’t support an increase in student fees to help pay for the school’s transition to Division I, until it’s known how big the hike will be. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Not exactly the sign of excitement about moving up to DI they are probably looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                              Not exactly the sign of excitement about moving up to DI they are probably looking for.
                              I would agree but if our administration had proposed these kinds of increases to our studenty body when we annouced we were moving up, I'm sure the same feelings would have been expressed by our own student body.  

Since the Board of Regents mandated we couldn't increase student fees to help pay for our move to D-I, this wasn't an issue on our campus.  Had we'd been allowed to, there certainly would have been some opposition.  

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                                I would agree but if our administration had proposed these kinds of increases to our studenty body when we annouced we were moving up, I'm sure the same feelings would have been expressed by our own student body.  

Since the Board of Regents mandated we couldn't increase student fees to help pay for our move to D-I, this wasn't an issue on our campus.  Had we'd been allowed to, there certainly would have been some opposition.  
                                We don't know that for sure but it seems logical. I think you can say now that the students are definitely in support of the move. In 5 years there won't be student on campus who yearns for the DII days of the past.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X