Court Storming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Storming

This was last night at the KU/K-state game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ansas-jayhawks

Is someone going to have to get seriously hurt before this court storming fad is addressed? I mean seriously, they beat Kansas....a team who has lost 6 games now his season. An upset no doubt, but not a court storming worthy upset. It's pathetic.

Re: Court Storming

If I was the Kansas player that took a blatant shoulder shot from the KSU student when they stormed the court, I would have beat his ass to the ground...then been suspended for 5 games because that diot stormed the court and I was defending myself. That scenario will happen some day. I think its the SEC that fines teams $5,000 (first offense) for storming the court. Every conference should adopt that rule.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
      If I was the Kansas player that took a blatant shoulder shot from the KSU student when they stormed the court, I would have beat his ass to the ground...then been suspended for 5 games because that diot stormed the court and I was defending myself. That scenario will happen some day. I think its the SEC that fines teams $5,000 (first offense) for storming the court. Every conference should adopt that rule.
      I'm guessing if that Kansas player would have retaliated it would have turned into a brawl (remember when Ron Artest went into the crowd at the Palace?). Would have likely been much more than a 5 game suspension as well. Probably the season and likely ending in charges filed.

The $5k penalty is worthless when the colleges are operating on multimillion dollar budgets. Need something with some teeth. How about forfeiture of the game? Schools would get adequate security measures in place pretty quick.

Comment

You'll have to get ESPN to sign off on any proposals to limit storming the court.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          I'm guessing if that Kansas player would have retaliated it would have turned into a brawl (remember when Ron Artest went into the crowd at the Palace?). Would have likely been much more than a 5 game suspension as well. Probably the season and likely ending in charges filed.

The $5k penalty is worthless when the colleges are operating on multimillion dollar budgets. Need something with some teeth. How about forfeiture of the game? Schools would get adequate security measures in place pretty quick.
          Or they could wait and get drunk celebrating and try to burn the city down afterwards. People get goofy,sometimes. Never could understand that.

Comment

Thankfully we don't have to worry about this issue at Frost since fans can't get to the court without jumping a rail with a 6 foot drop on the other side...

In all seriousness, I almost guarantee that limiting fan access to the court was talked about as a benefit of loading students from the upper level and removing them from courtside. The sightlines are awful, but Frost is pretty storm-the-court-proof.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Careful, the SLT is coming up soon.

Comment

While I know it's kind of fun to watch, and certainly fun for the fans doing it, it needs to go away.

There needs to be some sort of penalty for this, to prevent it from happening.

If something isn't done, there is almost certain to be a major incident arise. Emotions are too high. Something needs to happen to prevent this from occurring.

Comment

I used to be pretty against storming the court. Then I did it at the SL championship game, and man it's fun. You can't look at it from the perspective of a rationae fan. Look at it from the perspective from a (possibly buzzed) 18-21 year old, and it makes more sense. Like most ideas from buzzed 18-21 year olds, it's not necessarily smart. But it's fun.

I'm fine with making the argument against it for safety reasons. But I can't agree with the "they only beat X in a regular season game" argument.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I thought Holly Rowe said it best. It looks chaotic on tv but in reality when you are in a court storm it really isn't that bad
                    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

As a KU fan, I'm going to be biased after what happened on Monday night. However, there are numerous videos surfacing showing one fan taking a swing at the back of Frank Mason's head (KU point guard) as he was walking off the court. Another shows a fan hip checking KU forward Jamari Traylor. That one has been shown extensively. In the same video, a fan runs by Brennan Greene (KU guard) and hits him in the face with an elbow. Everyone's seen the fans smash Coach Bill Self and Coach Bruce Weber into the scoring table. Another fan runs from BEHIND KU's bench to the floor and extends the double middle finger salute in the faces of KU players.

That is not court storming. That is violence from fans attending the game directed toward players and coaches on the floor, a place where fans have no business during or after the game. If fans do storm, they should do it toward mid-court, as most do. K-State fans chanting "F$CK KU" non-stop for two hours and then storming the court in the manner they did was classless, dangerous, and should be stopped.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                        I thought Holly Rowe said it best. It looks chaotic on tv but in reality when you are in a court storm it really isn't that bad
                        That isn't what happened Monday night in Manhattan at all.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                          As a KU fan, I'm going to be biased after what happened on Monday night. However, there are numerous videos surfacing showing one fan taking a swing at the back of Frank Mason's head (KU point guard) as he was walking off the court. Another shows a fan hip checking KU forward Jamari Traylor. That one has been shown extensively. In the same video, a fan runs by Brennan Greene (KU guard) and hits him in the face with an elbow. Everyone's seen the fans smash Coach Bill Self and Coach Bruce Weber into the scoring table. Another fan runs from BEHIND KU's bench to the floor and extends the double middle finger salute in the faces of KU players.

That is not court storming. That is violence from fans attending the game directed toward players and coaches on the floor, a place where fans have no business during or after the game. If fans do storm, they should do it toward mid-court, as most do. K-State fans chanting "F$CK KU" non-stop for two hours and then storming the court in the manner they did was classless, dangerous, and should be stopped.
                          As I am a duke fan I know where you are coming from. There are only 2 situations I think storming the court should be ok and that is beating the #1 team in the country, or winning a confrence title. My thing is don't **** off for one game and act big time if you can't back it up. Like miami winning at duke. That's a great win but doesn't do you much if you can't back it up which they haven't.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I really don't understand why court storming is allowed at all. What good can really come of it other than a few students getting their jollies by getting close to the players and coaches? I think it should be banned outright, but some will say that's just the old codger in me.

As a Duke fan, I enjoyed yet another court storming last night when #14 Maryland beat #5 Wisconsin in College Park. Seriously Maryland? You won a national title and you're ranked #14. Act like you've been there before.

Comment

There is a time and place for court storming. Like you said Maryland's win should have not resulted in a court storming. They are a top 20 program. I understand the K-State on though. Huge rivalry, K-State was un-ranked, and Kansas was #8 in the country.

When there is a potential upset at a teams home court, get more security for that game. If the home team is about to pull off the upset, place the security around the opponents bench.

Maybe if big time networks like ESPN, would stop showing them and making it a huge deal they will go down a little?

Remember a couple years back, when the FSU coach told Roy Williams to have his starters and most of his team go to the locker because he was didn't want the UNC players to get hurt because he knew fans/students were going to rush the court? Things like that can also help prevent players safety.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...out-of-caution
                              Last edited by SanDakotaState; 02-25-2015, 12:22 PM. Reason: NOT DUKE

Comment

Working...
                              X