Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pellini fired by Huskers

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked Bo Pelleni. Obnoxious fans need to be told to go F*$% themselves every once in a while. It keeps balance in the world.
    +1

Also, Nebraska fans are delusional. You aren't national power anymore. Sorry.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Interesting, lets see what unfolds. Forst may not be ready in many eyes
      If they look for an interim coach, Jim Tressel could be a choice.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

With zero dog in the fight....not giving Scott Frost a shot here would show just how dillusional Husker fans/admin have become. No head coaching experience? that's the thought process here?? Didn't Ole Miss and Miss St both hire high school coaches? Seems like it worked out for them.

This guy Frost is a Husker and has spent how long at one of the best run programs in the country?? Husker fans...don't be dumb....this is your guy.
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I won't pretend to know all details (or even very many details) about the NCAA sanctions imposed on Ohio State and its then-coach, Jim Tressel. I do recall some commentators noting that for all practical purposes, Coach Tressel's coaching days were done. The NCAA imposed a "show-cause" penalty for five years (from 2011). Any school that hires Tressel will have to comply and according to some sources (see, e.g. this link: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...e-for-tressel/ ) could be subject to penalties.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
            I won't pretend to know all details (or even very many details) about the NCAA sanctions imposed on Ohio State and its then-coach, Jim Tressel. I do recall some commentators noting that for all practical purposes, Coach Tressel's coaching days were done. The NCAA imposed a "show-cause" penalty for five years (from 2011). Any school that hires Tressel will have to comply and according to some sources (see, e.g. this link: http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...e-for-tressel/ ) could be subject to penalties.
            Not only that but Tressell would leave a President's job at YSU go back into coaching. I suspect he is doing all right as the head administrator. He also hired and fire Walford.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              Times have changed since Osborne was able to recruit so well. National TV exposure, etc. has turned things on its head. Recruiting took a nose dive the past few years under Pelini.

Jim Tressel is still serving his "show cause" penalty until December of 2016. Could Nebraska work with the NCAA to make it work? Probably. Regardless, that hire would come with a TON of risk, and Nebraska would be forced to "open up the books" to the NCAA.

I don't think its a great situation for Scott Frost. Way too much pressure when he'll have much better opportunities down the road, if not this year.

I still like Craig Bohl here. If I were Eichorst he'd be my man. Power running game and defense, both of which can be accomplished by recruiting the Midwest heavily.
              Didn't Bohl basically get run out of Lincoln when either Callahan or Solich were trying to save their job ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Didn't Bohl basically get run out of Lincoln when either Callahan or Solich were trying to save their job ?
                That he did, Colorado scored like a billion points on his defense and he became the scapegoat for a .500 season.

Comment

Frankly, it surprised me that Pellini survived that episode last year where he insulted Cornhusker fans whle also setting a new outdoor speed record for f-bomb dropping... . http://deadspin.com/bo-pelini-on-neb...l-o-1327398903 That seems to be a fan base where that kind of thing does not ever get forgiven. He always looked like a guy who never enjoyed what he was doing or where he was doing it.

Comment

I agree with an awful lot being said here. Nebraska is not what it was and it is for a lot of reasons. Times have changed, staffs have changed, conferences are different, and so on but one thing that hasn't changed is the commitment of resources that Nebraska allocates to their program.

The comments about the change in their recruiting territory are spot on. It is different due to everything being on TV and Big10 vs Big 12 footprint.

Nebraska needs to bring someone in that gets what the Husker program was made from, has similar values to the fanbase, and obviously is seen to have potential to retunt Big Red to prominence. Now, I'm not talking about super-dominant like they were a couple decades ago. I mean a perennial contender in the Big 10, a team consistently ranked, and is talked about on a national level.

It can be done but it has to be done through class, running a clean program, and developing talent like they were famous for. It isn't easy but if teams like Louisville, TCU, Baylor, and Boise State can raise to a recognized level there sure in the heck is no reason that it can't happen in Lincoln given all of the resources that the program has.

Many Jacks fans experienced what a special place Lincoln is on game day. That hasn't changed and nor will it and it is because of the dedication and support of the fanbase. When you have that there is always something to build on.

So, with that all said, I would be on board with Scott Frost. A Nebraska kid, Husker legend, and someone that has been involved in fantastic program in Oregon. Tressel would be a bad hire although I believe he is a solid coach. How do you fire a coach with a record like Pelini and replace him with a guy with a similar record and is on sanction from the NCAA. That is NOT the Husker way. As for Bohl, everyone in Lincoln is down on him and there was always a lot of rumor around why and when he left. Obviously, what he did in Fargo is huge but he doesn't seem to have any momentum. Personally, I wouldn't mind the hire.

At the end of the day, I'm glad to see Pelini gone. He wore out his welcome and that is too bad because I think he has the ability but he just wouldn't grow up. Being intense and showing some fire is just fine. He acted like an idiot on many, many occasions. I wish him the best.

SUPERBUNNY
                    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Mike Riley from OSU to Big Red........hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comment

I'm ok with the hire. OSU is usually pretty good. They get overshadowed by Oregon and the ultra-late night games, but they are fun to watch. Also, he doesn't have the baggage that Tressel has and has the experience that Frost would have been lacking. I wouldn't have been upset if Frost had been offered the job, but was worried about his lack of head coaching experience. Pelini had the same knock when he took the position and he did not handle those extra duties very well. Frost will be a good head coach somewhere very soon.
                        One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

If Mike Riley could be competitive in the PAC 12, with the smallest stadium and budget in the conference (maybe bigger than Washington State's I'm not sure),

Competing against USC, UCLA's, Oregon, and Washington's money... and be competitive every year.

I think he'll do ok with Nebraska's resources.

And, in case you haven't heard. He's probably the nicest guy that is a head college football coach. Honestly, I don't didn't Nebraska could have hired a guy that is more of a complete 180 from Pellini.

Now, will he be successful? I have no idea.

But I'm glad to see him get this opportunity, and I'm glad to see Nebraska take this chance. I may end up cheering for the Huskers again.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                            If Mike Riley could be competitive in the PAC 12, with the smallest stadium and budget in the conference (maybe bigger than Washington State's I'm not sure),

Competing against USC, UCLA's, Oregon, and Washington's money... and be competitive every year.

I think he'll do ok with Nebraska's resources.

And, in case you haven't heard. He's probably the nicest guy that is a head college football coach. Honestly, I don't didn't Nebraska could have hired a guy that is more of a complete 180 from Pellini.

Now, will he be successful? I have no idea.

But I'm glad to see him get this opportunity, and I'm glad to see Nebraska take this chance. I may end up cheering for the Huskers again.
                            I had no idea who Mike Riley was until he was hired. Something tells me that Riley and the Nebraska AD have been talking for some time and that his choice was not a quick decision. In fact I have some catching up to do Nebraska such as a google on the current AD.

Comment

Working...
                            X