Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellini fired by Huskers

Wow. That what nine wins will get ya!

The guy just never won over the fans. Here's the early story from the Argus, noting the embarrassing losses on the national stage etc.

http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...kers/19699069/

Re: Pellini fired by Huskers

The big problem with him, was he was Bobby Knight, without the charm, or the perfect record.

If you are going to have that type of an attitude with the media/fans you better win some big games.

At the same time, I felt he was never a real Nebraska guy. I'm not a Nebraska fan, and generally I defend the coach in this type of a situation. This one is a little more difficult. It was as if he won the games he was suppose to (many times ugly), lost the games he was suppose to (many times ugly). Recruited good, but not great.

I have a feeling they will either go big time hire, or with Scott Frost. They won't settle for anything else.

Comment

I think you've sized it up well, joeboo22. Just wasn't ever a Nebraska guy.

Both Nebraska and Michigan have near-impossible expectations. Those are tough jobs to fill.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        The big problem with him, was he was Bobby Knight, without the charm, or the perfect record.

If you are going to have that type of an attitude with the media/fans you better win some big games.

At the same time, I felt he was never a real Nebraska guy. I'm not a Nebraska fan, and generally I defend the coach in this type of a situation. This one is a little more difficult. It was as if he won the games he was suppose to (many times ugly), lost the games he was suppose to (many times ugly). Recruited good, but not great.

I have a feeling they will either go big time hire, or with Scott Frost. They won't settle for anything else.
        The funny part about that is their fans decry the demise of the vaunted blackshirts and never liked Pelini's defenses, yet the first words out of their mouths is Scott Frost, OC from Oregon. SMH.

Maybe they should have fired Pelini last year and hired Bohl. Would have brought back the power running game and defense to Lincoln. Their fans would have rioted over that move though.

Comment

It was just a matter of time, Pelini can only beat teams of lesser talent. Iowa at 7-5 was his best win of the season. Bo was 26-25 against teams .500 or greater and 40-2 against teams less than .500. According to the USA Today he was 7-17 against ranked opponents, and almost all of those losses were humiliating. Nebraska has had the most losses of 17+ points to ranked teams since 2012. The players seemed to love Bo, but some of the fans and especially the media seemed to dislike him.

The fact of the matter is that he would still be employed by Nebraska if he would have won just one B10 or B12 championship. I think it is pretty realistic to expect Nebraska to be able to win a B10 championship once every three or four years, the B10 isn't that good, especially since they joined it...they got absolutely smacked by a 7-5 teams in the B10 championship game for cripes sake. Bo just can't win the important game, regular season or post season.

I wonder if the Jacks will be sniffing around for any possible transfers from Nebraska after a new coach is hired.

Comment

Scott Frost was a very popular football player during my years I lived in Nebraska. I never went to a Husker game, but the sports section was often pelted with Scott Frost news stories. I see he has had an impact in the rise of the Oregon program. Also judging from this photo, he has kept in physical shape.

http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/...Coach-33411768

Now who wants to ding Clint Brown? He might be a key to getting some of the UNL transfers. Also Coach Jackson will no doubt be checking it out. I might add Clint Brown lettered for the Huskers 1993-94 and Frost played 1995-97. Frost transferred into Nebraska from Stanford.

Of course this is relevant provided Frost gets hired. UNL does the hiring process much different than SDSU. No national searches, they usually got a candidate in mind, such as Scott Frost.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 12-01-2014, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Husker Nation loved the Bo hire when it was made and it appeared early that he was going to get things headed the right direction. Are they crazy for firing a guy that won 9 games year in and out? Maybe. The record wasn't the problem. It was the losses, the lopsided losses against major foes, the on the field tantrums, and general lack of class that did him in. They take a lot of pride in doing things the right way in Lincoln and Jacks fans got to experience that when they went down for those two games. Pelini didn't fit that and many Husker fans, myself included, were tired of his antics. I figured since he was a new HC that he would "grow up" after a couple years. That proved to not be the case and therefore he was shown the door.

The really interesting thing is what will they do next? Jim Tressel is being talked about a LOT in Lincoln. He has a great record and would make a splash but it would be troubling given his issues with the NCAA. Why not just keep Pelini? Scott Frost is intriguing and a Husker guy for sure but no HC experience. Who knows? I'm just glad that the Bo era is over.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think Bo would have been fine with his 9 win season average if they had just won ONE of those big games, but every time they played someone worth a crap, they peed themselves on national tv. That game against Wisconsin when Russel Wilson was in Wisconsin is the perfect example.

It wasn't that they lost, they got smoked.

I agree with the statement about Michigan and Nebraska having tough fanbases to please. Look at what Rich Rod has done in a relatively short time in Arizona.

I'm sure Frost will be considered strongly. But I really think they need a bigger name than that, and someone who has had some head coaching success.

Then, after that... they need to give that person time.

The thing is, if you want to win, and win the big games... you have to recruit. Alabama didn't just luck into the top team the last several years...they are #1 or #2 in recruiting classes just about every year.

This was Urban Meyer's strength. No surprise Florida fell off after his "retirement", AND no surprise that OSU got that much better(and yes I know they had a good year his first year too.)

Who is the snake oil salesman that can get people to come to Lincoln? Osborne did it, because he was Tom Osborne, and had a kabillion years track record of being good. Since Osborn retired, they've gone through Solich, Callahan, and now Pelini.

If I'm a top recruit... going to be hard to commit to a school that keep switching gears.

Comment

Times have changed since Osborne was able to recruit so well. National TV exposure, etc. has turned things on its head. Recruiting took a nose dive the past few years under Pelini.

Jim Tressel is still serving his "show cause" penalty until December of 2016. Could Nebraska work with the NCAA to make it work? Probably. Regardless, that hire would come with a TON of risk, and Nebraska would be forced to "open up the books" to the NCAA.

I don't think its a great situation for Scott Frost. Way too much pressure when he'll have much better opportunities down the road, if not this year.

I still like Craig Bohl here. If I were Eichorst he'd be my man. Power running game and defense, both of which can be accomplished by recruiting the Midwest heavily.
                  Last edited by TK22867; 12-01-2014, 04:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

A name I have heard mentioned several times on radio and Twitter today is Jerry Kill. But I don't see him leaving Minnesota after the season they just had. They won 8 games and he's being treated like he's the second coming of Bear Bryant there. So why leave that situation and go to Nebraska and be under unreasonable expectations? The only reason they said he MIGHT be tempted to leave is that Minnesota apparently has the worst practice facilities in the Big 10 and of course if Nebraska wants to pay him $2 or $3 million more a year than he's making now that might tempt him.
                    Here's an article about Bohl and Kill being candidates at Nebraska. http://www.inforum.com/content/craig...-football-head

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUSmitty View Post
                      A name I have heard mentioned several times on radio and Twitter today is Jerry Kill. But I don't see him leaving Minnesota after the season they just had. They won 8 games and he's being treated like he's the second coming of Bear Bryant there. So why leave that situation and go to Nebraska and be under unreasonable expectations? The only reason they said he MIGHT be tempted to leave is that Minnesota apparently has the worst practice facilities in the Big 10 and of course if Nebraska wants to pay him $2 or $3 million more a year than he's making now that might tempt him.
                      Here's an article about Bohl and Kill being candidates at Nebraska. http://www.inforum.com/content/craig...-football-head
                      Interesting, lets see what unfolds. Forst may not be ready in many eyes

Comment

Nebraska fans and administration have to remember one big thing. And that's they left the Big12 for the Big10, and the fertile grounds of recruiting they were used to in Texas and Louisiana have dried up. By not playing the Texas schools or Oklahoma schools, they can no longer sell southern kids that they will get to "go home" a few times a year and play in their back yard. That's huge.

That is one huge advantage they had in their day. Secondly, it's been so long since Nebraska has been significant, that recruits today were probably not even born when Nebraska was awesome. Tom Osborne is replaced by Ozzy Osborne. Most stadiums are big and sell out, so that advantage is gone. It's below zero in the winter, there is snow on the ground, and they don't change uniforms every week to "look cool". I honestly think Nebraska will not contend for a title ever again. I personally hated Pellini, but when you average 9 wins or more, and get fired, good luck with that hire. I see Nebraska much like I look at Michigan...you had a good deal while you had it, but you won't ever again dominate like you did for a couple generations.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          Nebraska fans and administration have to remember one big thing. And that's they left the Big12 for the Big10, and the fertile grounds of recruiting they were used to in Texas and Louisiana have dried up. By not playing the Texas schools or Oklahoma schools, they can no longer sell southern kids that they will get to "go home" a few times a year and play in their back yard. That's huge.

That is one huge advantage they had in their day. Secondly, it's been so long since Nebraska has been significant, that recruits today were probably not even born when Nebraska was awesome. Tom Osborne is replaced by Ozzy Osborne. Most stadiums are big and sell out, so that advantage is gone. It's below zero in the winter, there is snow on the ground, and they don't change uniforms every week to "look cool". I honestly think Nebraska will not contend for a title ever again. I personally hated Pellini, but when you average 9 wins or more, and get fired, good luck with that hire. I see Nebraska much like I look at Michigan...you had a good deal while you had it, but you won't ever again dominate like you did for a couple generations.
                          Agree about the changes in time at Nebraska. I wish something similar would happen up North about 195 miles from Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post

Well said. Honestly, Pellini's basic douchebaggery is definitely part of the situation here. I hope there is a likable coach out there who can win 9 or 10 and still maintain the support of the many rational Husker fans out there. You are exactly right, though: For the foreseeable future, only one or two Big Ten teams can reasonably expect to have a shot, now and then, at a national title. Nebraska is not Ohio State.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority, but I liked Bo Pelleni. Obnoxious fans need to be told to go F*$% themselves every once in a while. It keeps balance in the world.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X