X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU's future under the new FBS power 5 Autonomy

Originally posted by bubbajack View Post
    So no more March Madness?
    Cheer up there little buddy. Still March Madness for now. I see it playing out 1 of 2 ways. Either the big conference are granted, guaranteed a certain number of automatic entries to the current tourney (like 6 or 8 from each conference) or they break away and form their own post-season championship tournament. I could be way off of course.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      I'm already losing interest.I don't understand how they think the money will keep flowing in when they shrink the market down and cause people to lose interest in what they're selling.Funny how a few people who think they know everything can ruin a good thing going.It alway's happens this way,it seems.Sign of the times I guess.

It's all about power and control,wealthy ensuring they'll alway's be at the top,hostile takeover you might call it ,borrowing from Wall St jargon.It's not good.
      Greed will get the best of them eventually and destroy college athletics...at least as we know it. Kids will be hiring agents during high school, and be bought by the highest bidder for 4/5 year contracts. They can choose from that point if they want to pay for school or negotiate a scholarship into their contracts. They can also choose just to play football for the next four or five years and focus on that.
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Cheer up there little buddy. Still March Madness for now. I see it playing out 1 of 2 ways. Either the big conference are granted, guaranteed a certain number of automatic entries to the current tourney (like 6 or 8 from each conference) or they break away and form their own post-season championship tournament. I could be way off of course.
        And they will negotiate more money for the POWER Conferences as well. The revenue sharing model will definitely be modified.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          Greed will get the best of them eventually and destroy college athletics...at least as we know it. Kids will be hiring agents during high school, and be bought by the highest bidder for 4/5 year contracts. They can choose from that point if they want to pay for school or negotiate a scholarship into their contracts. They can also choose just to play football for the next four or five years and focus on that.
          This is what I am hearing from a number of those closely connected to the situation at least as it pertains to football. Maybe football will be the only sport affected. That said, the future of football remains uncertain given the now well understood life-threatening head injuries associated with contact.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            I don't see the P5 breaking away in basketball because I don't think the TV networks would like it. The cinderella stuff is part of it, but I think the thing the networks like most about march madness is the sheer amount of content. Unless I messed up my math, there are currently 67 games that get broadcast in one way or another. That's a huge amount of commercial time. And the large number of unfamiliar teams means networks can fill up days of programming leading up to the tourney. And since all the conferences send members to the tourney, that makes all the conference title games worth broadcasting(31-ish). It's over a month of constant programing from start of the conference tourneys to the title game. Kiss about half that content goodbye if the P5 break away.

And if the P5 break away in MBB(and take the $$ with them), you can bet the rest of DI will get their revenge by kicking them out altogether. What would they have to lose at that point? Then the P5 would have the joys of creating their own organization with the IRS and other federal agencies breathing down their necks from day 1. Mutually Assured Destruction for everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              I don't see the P5 breaking away in basketball because I don't think the TV networks would like it. The cinderella stuff is part of it, but I think the thing the networks like most about march madness is the sheer amount of content. Unless I messed up my math, there are currently 67 games that get broadcast in one way or another. That's a huge amount of commercial time. And the large number of unfamiliar teams means networks can fill up days of programming leading up to the tourney. And since all the conferences send members to the tourney, that makes all the conference title games worth broadcasting(31-ish). It's over a month of constant programing from start of the conference tourneys to the title game. Kiss about half that content goodbye if the P5 break away.

And if the P5 break away in MBB(and take the $$ with them), you can bet the rest of DI will get their revenge by kicking them out altogether. What would they have to lose at that point? Then the P5 would have the joys of creating their own organization with the IRS and other federal agencies breathing down their necks from day 1. Mutually Assured Destruction for everybody.
              As long as the P5 offer educational courses, taking away the 501 (c) 3 status by the IRS would be difficult because despite all their money hungry appearences would not be sufficient to revoke this special tax status since their original purpose was education. They could offer nothing but basket weaving courses and they would be okay as long as they filed their Form 990 in a timely fashion. Violation of Title IX would be a bigger concern IMO. We can only guess what happens next. The networks and corps who advertise may be on the non P5 side. It's hard to tell at this point. Your Points about CInderella and the networks are right on target.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 08-08-2014, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X