Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU's future under the new FBS power 5 Autonomy

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...er-conferences

With P5 autonomy being initially approved by the NCAA, a 60 day comment period will follow. There are still several steps and processes involved before the system would be completely adopted, but all signs point towards the five power conferences getting the voting power they desire. If this indeed happens, how and when does this effect SDSU? With schools like Nebraska and Minnesota most likely being able to afford more scholarships and funding full cost of attendance for student athletes, how negatively might SDSU recruiting be effected? Will SDSU find itself in a conference or Division other than the Missouri Valley/FCS within ten years?

Re: SDSU's future under the new FBS power 5 Autonomy

Here is question. With Title IX requirements, would a University be required to provide an equal amount of benefits to female athletes as male athletes?
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      Here is question. With Title IX requirements, would a University be required to provide an equal amount of benefits to female athletes as male athletes?
      Excellent question which as usual I don't have an answer. It seem federal law can not be ignored.

Comment

There is a TV article on this subject in todays Argus. This thing is for real and has legs. It could be a tweek or it could be major in change.

Comment

Major changes are coming. I've said it before and I'm not expecting a debate. The NCAA of today will cease to exist in the very near future. It won't have major affects on FCS football but it will greatly change the post-season for basketball. There will no longer be "the big dance" option of today for SDSU. Major college sports is no longer about education its all about money and entertainment. The "power 5" will essentially become a professional sports league. Its going to be a lot different and in my opinion not as good as it is now.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Major changes are coming. I've said it before and I'm not expecting a debate. The NCAA of today will cease to exist in the very near future. It won't have major affects on FCS football but it will greatly change the post-season for basketball. There will no longer be "the big dance" option of today for SDSU. Major college sports is no longer about education its all about money and entertainment. The "power 5" will essentially become a professional sports league. Its going to be a lot different and in my opinion not as good as it is now.
            It's been about money for a long, long time. The NCAA just can't hide it anymore.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              It's been about money for a long, long time. The NCAA just can't hide it anymore.
              Correct, thanks for clarifying.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

With P5 autonomy being initially approved by the NCAA, a 60 day comment period will follow. There are still several steps and processes involved before the system would be completely adopted, but all signs point towards the five power conferences getting the voting power they desire. If this indeed happens, how and when does this effect SDSU? With schools like Nebraska and Minnesota most likely being able to afford more scholarships and funding full cost of attendance for student athletes, how negatively might SDSU recruiting be effected? Will SDSU find itself in a conference or Division other than the Missouri Valley/FCS within ten years?
                I dont see much of a change for the Missouri Valley or FCS. This really just effects 65 of 300 teams. Who it really screws is the MAC, the WAC and any of the other upper crust D1 basketball schools. Some will try to get into one of the power conferences but I suspect the Gonzagas of the world, UNLV's, Wyomings, Colorado States, are screwed. They will not get into a power conference in all likelyhood and will be put into a level commensurate with SDSU/NDSU. I would also think this is going to really hurt interest in the Big Dance. The days of the cinderella team will be gone. Probably break into two divisions. The fans of 240 teams will lose interest in the "Big Dance". Just my opinion........I could be wrong.

Comment

Is there a way to replace the big dance revenue? It seems the big time advertisers are looking for numbers which really makes it more difficult. The Power Five will no doubt be in the drivers seat in drawing the revenue in whatever they choose do. Our corp sponsors will really matter five years from now. Definitely change is coming.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Just to clarify - the power 5 will likely pass the ability to offer a full scholarship PLUS "cost of living" expenses in the range of $2000-$5000. They won't however be able to increase the number of scholarships they are able to offer. Areas they don't have autonomy are (from above linked article):

Areas that will not fall under the autonomy umbrella include postseason tournaments, transfer policies, scholarship limits, signing day and rules governing on-field play.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                      Just to clarify - the power 5 will likely pass the ability to offer a full scholarship PLUS "cost of living" expenses in the range of $2000-$5000. They won't however be able to increase the number of scholarships they are able to offer. Areas they don't have autonomy are (from above linked article):

[/FONT][/COLOR]
                      Yes, for now, the Power 5 are willing to work with the NCAA with limited concessions. In the very near future these same programs are going to be maneuvering to keep more of the profits they generate, to have more control over post season tournaments and transfer policies, etc...

I would love to think that they will be generous and offer to do all they can to keep things the way they are but that isn't going to happen. The NCAA likely needs the Power 5 more than the Power 5 need the NCAA. Maybe the federal government should get involved?

Comment

I'm already losing interest.I don't understand how they think the money will keep flowing in when they shrink the market down and cause people to lose interest in what they're selling.Funny how a few people who think they know everything can ruin a good thing going.It alway's happens this way,it seems.Sign of the times I guess.

It's all about power and control,wealthy ensuring they'll alway's be at the top,hostile takeover you might call it ,borrowing from Wall St jargon.It's not good.
                        Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-08-2014, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Yes, for now, the Power 5 are willing to work with the NCAA with limited concessions. In the very near future these same programs are going to be maneuvering to keep more of the profits they generate, to have more control over post season tournaments and transfer policies, etc...

I would love to think that they will be generous and offer to do all they can to keep things the way they are but that isn't going to happen. The NCAA likely needs the Power 5 more than the Power 5 need the NCAA. Maybe the federal government should get involved?
                          Title IX, it can not be ignored to my way of thinking. Sooner or later the Feds will be part of the game.

Comment

Can the 240 non-P5 withdraw from the NCAA and organize and form their own athletic consortium ,since the NCAA is throwing us out with the bath water.We can then have our own Championship Tournament and compete for television contracts with the p-5.I'm afraid otherwise,the p-5 will simply take all the money cause no one can stop them.Of course, everyone will take a wait and see attitude at first,and will wait til they are pretty sure they're getting screwed first before this would ever come about.The Big East did a mini version of starting all over when the big schools in that conference gained too much say and started to dictate to the others.Same principal.

Comment

So no more March Madness?

Comment

Working...
                              X