UNLV to play at the Pentagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNLV to play at the Pentagon

I'm not sure this game would draw a whole lot more than 3200 anyway. We're talking about USD fans here. Plus it is an early-December game. The Pentagon is perfect. Is love to see us schedule something similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      I'm not sure this game would draw a whole lot more than 3200 anyway. We're talking about USD fans here. Plus it is an early-December game. The Pentagon is perfect. Is love to see us schedule something similar.

How many USD fans showed up last year when the girls played against Drake at the Pentagon? I don't recall it being sold out. Playing at the Pentagon was the only way they were going to get a game against UNLV. No way UNLV would go to Vermilion and play at the Dakota Dome or even at their new arena. SDSU was lucky to get a team like Belmont to come to Frost. I also hope maybe next year SDSU can get an opportunity to play a big name opponent at the Premier Center or even the Pentagon.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        I will find out and let the board know when I do. Might be next tax season before I have the info. Bet hareball has access to someone that could tell him sooner.
        $0 is being paid to UNLV. Home and home series, with USD playing on a neutral floor (technically speaking).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          $0 is being paid to UNLV. Home and home series, with USD playing on a neutral floor (technically speaking).
          Why pay $100,000.00-$300,000.00+ when you can get it for nothing? Good job,whoever set it up.
          Someone's earning their money

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

I think USD will easily sell-out this game, in advance. Its a Saturday night game, and USD's new coach knows a thing or two about getting apathetic fans to show up. Heck, I might go.

I don't ever see SDSU playing somebody like UNLV (or anybody else) in the Pentagon. SDSU had 2000 show up in the old Arena for a Tuesday night game in December 2005 against nobody Manhattan. SDSU won 10 games the previous season and were 3-7 at the time. Not a lot of excitement around the program at the time, and we drew a crowd that would have made the Pentagon seem pretty full.

The Pentagon is waaaay too small for an SDSU vs High Mid-Major, much less a Major.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I think USD will easily sell-out this game, in advance. Its a Saturday night game, and USD's new coach knows a thing or two about getting apathetic fans to show up. Heck, I might go.

I don't ever see SDSU playing somebody like UNLV (or anybody else) in the Pentagon. SDSU had 2000 show up in the old Arena for a Tuesday night game in December 2005 against nobody Manhattan. SDSU won 10 games the previous season and were 3-7 at the time. Not a lot of excitement around the program at the time, and we drew a crowd that would have made the Pentagon seem pretty full.

The Pentagon is waaaay too small for an SDSU vs High Mid-Major, much less a Major.
              I wouldn't be so sure about that. Our relationship with Sanford and their ability to bring in big names to Sioux Falls to play seems to be something in which SDSU would take part.

Ticket prices will just need to reflect demand.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                I wouldn't be so sure about that. Our relationship with Sanford and their ability to bring in big names to Sioux Falls to play seems to be something in which SDSU would take part.

Ticket prices will just need to reflect demand.
                I guess. I trust SDSU will take part in whatever the administration deems beneficial. So far, that hasn't included the Pentagon.

It absolutely could happen, but it will take a unique set of circumstances for SDSU men's basketball to play at the Pentagon, IMO. A pretty unique set of circumstances led to scheduling a DIII non-counter in football, a Pentagon game would have to be more likely than that, right?

“I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

With the showings in the SL tournament, men's and women's, SDSU's fan base has I'm sure developed at least a bit of a reputation in college basketball circles of Showing Up in Sioux Falls for "big games." Also, SDSU's men have two NCAA tournament appearances.

Both facts mitigate against the willingness of high-major schools to schedule SDSU, even in the "neutral" site of the Pentagon. USD has yet to develop a similar reputation, and have no men's NCAA tournament appearances notched in their belt, so it will be correspondingly easier for USD to get these kinds of games in Sioux Falls than it will be for SDSU, until the national perception of the competitiveness of the two programs evens out.

Also, regarding any early-season games in the Sanford Center, I seem to recall that the Summit League has a rule that conference teams are not allowed to play games in the conference tournament venue prior to the conference tournament itself. While I suppose this could maybe be waived at some point, the perception in the league is that the Dakota schools have a big enough advantage already in SF, so the non-Dakota schools probably won't be rushing to waive the rule should (for instance) a Kansas or a Kentucky decide for whatever reason to schedule SDSU or USD in the Sanford Event Center.

The UNLV game at the Pentagon is a great get for USD. Good on them for going for it. Personally, I doubt that SDSU would be able to get a similar game in the next couple of years anyway (without throwing an exotically large amount of cash at the "name" school) for the reasons stated above.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

UNLV starting point guard leaving team:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...eaving-program

He must not want to come to South Dakota.....all five starters from last season's UNLV team are gone. Maybe USD can steal this game?

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                      UNLV starting point guard leaving team:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...eaving-program

He must not want to come to South Dakota.....all five starters from last season's UNLV team are gone. Maybe USD can steal this game?
                      But their incoming recruiting class is ranked in top 5 per both the following:

http://247sports.com/Season/2014-Bas...teTeamRankings

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....sp?CID=1574326
                      USD Fan

Comment

Working...
                      X