Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
    NFL- no way. The are WAY bigger, faster, stronger. HS football players would get killed in the NFL. Players have to be out of high school for 3 years to be eligible for the NFL draft.
    NBA- More than the likely the players would end up in the d-league. Very few have found success right out of HS. The extra time in college would give them more time to mature. If players don't want to attend college the certainty can go to the NBADL right away or go play overseas and make money. This would give more parody in the NCAA and keep the same teams from getting all the top recruits.
    I understand. My basic point is that they should have a choice to attend school,have the opportunity to play right away in the NBA/NFL,etc.... I simply don't agree with making them go to college,whether it's one year or 4. It's not going to affect very many athletes anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
      Didn't feel like reading through it all but as of right now, all the former Northwestern football players are asking for is more medical insurance and 4 year scholarships so it's not like they are asking for money.
      That's true. I think the money talk is because it's the likely next step. This could get thrown out on appeal and not happen at all too.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        That's true. I think the money talk is because it's the likely next step. This could get thrown out on appeal and not happen at all too.
        Two things: as JP writes above, the court action on this is far from done, it's basically in kindergarten at this time. And I should point out that this ruling, even if upheld, is only applicable to private schools, not state supported schools. If upheld, would that be the next step then...state-supported universities? Maybe, but there are a large number of difference between the private and public schools on this issue.

I really doubt this will hold up. But, I do think the issue itself (not unionization, but the money end) is going to continue to be debated and the proposal by the NCAA president,urging consideration of a $2,000 stipend will get kicked around a lot. Are you going to approve it for students in one sport, or in one gender, or based on "need" or what? It is a tough issue, and is not easily resolved. Unforunately, it is mostly a problem because of the largest Bowl division schools and the huge dollars they command in football.

Comment

I understand. My basic point is that they should have a choice to attend school,have the opportunity to play right away in the NBA/NFL,etc.... I simply don't agree with making them go to college,whether it's one year or 4. It's not going to affect very many athletes anyway.
          To be fair no one is actually making them go to college.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            To be fair no one is actually making them go to college.
            You could argue society and the NFL rules are
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

A Monty Python skit comes to mind.

"Society made me do it!"
              "Right! We'll go arrest them instead!"
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Forcing athletes to attend college for 2 years doesn't make them students anymore than making them go 1 year. They should be allowed to go to the NBA/NFL right out of high school if they choose.
                Bingo!
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Northwestern Fb coach Pat Fitzgerald speaks about the union issue: https://northwestern.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1628403
                  No surprise there,he's against the idea.

Also, UCONN bb player Shabazz Napier (awesome first name) says there are nights he goes to bed "starving".lol
                  http://sandrarose.com/2014/04/uconn-...andrarose.com)

Comment

Northwestern Fb coach Pat Fitzgerald speaks about the union issue: https://northwestern.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1628403
                    No surprise there,he's against the idea.

Also, UCONN bb player Shabazz Napier (awesome first name) says there are nights he goes to bed "starving".lol
                    http://sandrarose.com/2014/04/uconn-...andrarose.com)
                    Well if wouldn't spend a couple grand on tattoos he wouldn't have to worry about that. [/sarcasm]

Comment

How many pro players end their carreers w/o a pot to P** in,a college education ,even limited, might give them enough knowlege to at least manage their finances better.Not to mention something to fall back on.
                      Higher Education shouldn't be viewed as an albatross around their neck.

Comment

I'm willing to listen to arguments promoting the idea of an athletic scholarship including a stipend for living expenses over and above room and board, books, tuition and fees. Some of the athletes are broke. And while their education is being paid for, they are still broke. They have a difficult time finding a job for some spending money due of 1) time requirements for athletics and 2) NCAA rules. If a kid were to receive $50 a week or $100 per month, for example, I don't think there'd be much interest in exploring the employee/union issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I'm willing to listen to arguments promoting the idea of an athletic scholarship including a stipend for living expenses over and above room and board, books, tuition and fees. Some of the athletes are broke. And while their education is being paid for, they are still broke. They have a difficult time finding a job for some spending money due of 1) time requirements for athletics and 2) NCAA rules. If a kid were to receive $50 a week or $100 per month, for example, I don't think there'd be much interest in exploring the employee/union issues.
                          I agree. I think that goes back to the notion of giving them the actual cost of a scholarship.

Comment

One serious issue with the whole "athletes-as-employees" strategy is that it puts at grave risk the tax-exempt status of athletic scholarships. As I understand things now, athletic scholarships are not currently considered taxable income. If however the unionization push succeeds, then the "income" represented by the athletic scholarship suddenly becomes taxable because the recipients are not students receiving a scholarship, but instead would be considered by the IRS to be employees receiving, as it were, a 'fringe benefit.'

Can of worms; opened.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just give them a monthly stipend and problem is solved.

Comment

IF college athletes are broke why don't they utilize FAFSA and unsubsidized loans like a majority of college students on top of their scholarship? I was fortunate to have received a number of scholarships in my time at SDSU, but I always accepted a portion of my FAFSA so I would have some extra spending money. I guess I don't understand why that is such a problem for athletes that are claiming to "starve".
                                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                                X